{WIP} Raspberry Pi MAME Cabinet

Discussion in 'Other CPUs and chipsets' started by Reanimated35, Dec 16, 2013.

1. Reanimated35

Reanimated35 Member

So me and a mate decided to build one of these just to be able to say "hey, we built one of these" :D

So far have ordered:

Raspberry Pi (starter kit with sd card, power, case etc)
    IPAC2

Going to look on ebay for buttons, joysticks, cables etc next.

Will update with pics and stuff once parts start arriving.

2. OP
    OP
    Reanimated35

Reanimated35 Member

So this is what we're thinking it's probably going to end up looking like

[​IMG]

3. OP
    OP
    Reanimated35

Reanimated35 Member

So this has just hit a huge snag :(

Raspberry Pi out of stock until week of 13 January 2014 :thumbdn:

4. SoulFire-Z

SoulFire-Z Member

Sub'd!

Interested to see how this goes.
    I'm using my rpi as a tv backend server, this seems like a much better idea :D

You could start fabbing the case / deciding on buttons etc? Not like you need to make much consideration for where the pi will actually sit!

:thumbup:

5. OP
    OP
    Reanimated35

Reanimated35 Member

Yeah that's the plan. I've got to do up some exact measurments in sketchup soonish and start working on that. In saying that I just realised xmas is next week and I haven't done any shopping, so this might just be kicking off on boxing day assuming I get to bunnings before then :thumbup:

6. elvis

elvis Old school old fool

That's an enormous cabinet for a RPi. Look on http://forum.arcadecontrols.com for some slimline cab inspiration.

Also, that screen to cabinet ratio is not so fondly referred to as "the postage stamp". Consider a bigger screen, or make the cabinet narrower.

7. OP
    OP
    Reanimated35

Reanimated35 Member

Yeah that screen cabinet was more a rough guide to get an idea of the layout. Keep in mind too that there will be 2 people sitting side by side, so I wanted to allow room just for comfort. In that model I think it was 800mm across. Haven't really done much more work on it just yet as I mentioned earlier I was waiting on the Pi to be delivered mid-January. Well that should change soon, the Pi was delivered today :thumbup:

8. oculi

oculi Member

huge snag? buy one from sparkfun (they have joysticks and buttons too, i have some on the way to use for something, or nothing)

https://www.sparkfun.com/products/11837

or

https://www.sparkfun.com/products/11546

or stick the guts of a junker PC In there, looks like there is plenty of room.

9. OP
    OP
    Reanimated35

Reanimated35 Member

10. oculi

oculi Member

get your skates on then

11. OP
    OP
    Reanimated35

Reanimated35 Member

Ipac 2 arrived today :thumbup:

Buttons, wire and sticks have all been listed as "posted" on ebay. Just need to get the measurements right and will hopefully be underway on boxing day

12. OP
    OP
    Reanimated35

Reanimated35 Member

Revised plans are being revised.

Was originally working to a stool height of 45cm (7 bucks at ikea) but figure if that height doesn't work I can just make them myself too.

Here's the bottom half now.

[​IMG]

Looks like it should be enough clearance with buttons/stick/wires.

The idea is now that it will be done in 2 halves which will be screwed together with brackets. Doing it this way to allow for easier transport (Not building it in the same room as its final destination and it may move later).

Looking to put a shelf in the top half for the monitor to sit on as opposed to using an arm (idea is to do this as cheap as possible - but not 'shitty' cheap)

This will also be the first woodwork thing I've done since high school (8 years ago)

[​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 27, 2013
  13. elvis

Yup, all good. Just make sure you get a screen to match. There's nothing worse than a giant cabinet with a tiny screen.

For my first cabinet I put a 21" CRT in a 600mm wide cabinet, and it's a regret. One day I'll try and source a larger screen for that thing (will probably mean needing to get a custom made chassis for a CRT tube).

14. OP
    OP
    Reanimated35

Reanimated35 Member

Looking at a 23" monitor to go in at this stage. Should be about $150

15. elvis

Large 720p LCD TVs are so cheap these days. You don't need 1080p or higher for MAME.

16. mike-s

mike-s Member

Yes I'm a helluva distance away, but I've got a imac I was given with a dead mainboard but a perfectly ok screen here. I bought the electronics (and have a manual) to be able to run it as a monitor. I started with the intention of putting a micro pc inside the remanants of the chassis and making it into a low spec pc that would be durable to last the abuse that a toddler could dish out while playing some fisher price games on it. However that project has gone into a holding pattern as other things have happened and I've already put something else together that didn't require getting out a hacksaw and soldering iron.

I'm not sure how heavy it will end up being, but if you want it then I can strip absolutely everything unrelated out (the stand itself is a kilo and a half of aluminium and it has a large quantity of steel bracing inside the chassis that I can easily remove) and post it up to you for the cost of postage plus the electronics I purchased ($55 + postage).

Let me know if you are interested and I can start trying to figure out how much i can slim it down and post it. Estimates on the postage from where I am to Brisbane CBD are at about $25. If you are interested you could either figure out a way to mount the current shell inside your cabinet, or to strip it down to the bare panel and the electronics and mount it neatly inside the cabinet. The panel has all the mounting points you could possibly need already attached to it. However for safety reasons it might be best to leave it attached to the frame of the imac and figure out a way to make that sit in nicely with everything else you're assembling.

Picture of everything minus the panel itself
    Clockwise, the components starting from the left inside the frame are:
    * (tan coloured pcb) The high voltage circuit supplied with the electronics, I wasn't sure if I was going to use this or stick to the ones from the screen as they are still perfectly ok
    * (Green pcb) The digital control panel itself.
    * (Brown pcb) The control electronics for the panel menu system, (brightness contrast, imput control, etc)
    * (behind the black electrical insulation) the high voltage control circuit for the back lighting that came with the imac.
    * (Blue pcb in the bottom right) The power supply which runs the whole thing.

The way it all works is the power supply outputs 24v & 12v to the rest of the pc when active. the way it works is that 12v is always being sent out to the main logic board of the imac. When the imac is switched on via a soft button on the front of the imac, a regulated 5 volts is sent back on a certain pin from the motherboard to a specific input on the power supply. When this pin has an active 5 volts on it, the 24volts to the lcd back panel lighting is activated and the screen turns on.

Getting this 5 volts was going to be a pain in the ass for me if I went ahead and just another expense to add to the list, however if your using a rpi then you could quite easily split off the fed power for the pi and send it to the 5v pin on the power supply so that when you turn the pi on/off, the screen automatically turns on/off as well.

Be warned that this could be dangerous IF it is oncorrectly assembled or used as there are bare electronics in there, some of which control voltages above a thousand volts (the backlighting for the panel specifically) as well as AC 240v. If you aren't scared and are willing to look into this as an option, let me know if you're Interested and I'll get started on putting it together. Alternatively you could put together the most low powered imac in existence if you decide to keep the chassis intact :D

If not, no fuss. Just thought I'd offer as it's otherwise sitting in the corner of my garage.

Last edited: Jan 2, 2014
  17. OP
    OP
    Reanimated35

Reanimated35 Member

Progress is going painfully slow on this.

Waiting on family member to bring me a table saw to use to cut the wood.

In the mean time, who's good at geometry? (I'm shit at maths)

This is the measurements.

The wood comes in
    • 2400x1200 @ $31
    • 900x600 @ $9

How much wood do I need to buy to do this the cheapest way?

[​IMG]

18. astra

astra Member

nice looking MAME box

19. onggie

onggie Member

Drool, I will see how you go with this and follow suit :leet:

Subbed!

20. oculi

oculi Member

i've done some reading on pi maming, will it be fast enough?

see my pic for how i'd make the cabinet, would be harder to break down/move but a lot stronger and look a bit nicer. would make it easier to order the wood as you will be forced to get big bits.

[​IMG]

If you want to work out the best way to order wood/cut out do a scale model of the pieces out of cardboard or something. maybe do a full scale model, then you can see if it is at the right height etc

Last edited: Jan 21, 2014