Wired home network setup

Discussion in 'Networking, Telephony & Internet' started by Snake144, Oct 4, 2021.

1. Snake144

Snake144 Member

Hello,

I was hoping to grab some advice on the best way to setup a wired home network as I'm a little confused.

I'm currently paying for 1GB down / 50MB up over wireless and with working from home/gaming I'd like to get the most out of that speed.

I live in a two story house with reasonably easy access to everywhere required to setup this network. I would like to set up a rack with a patch panel, switch, router and other network devices in my garage. I would also install an access point upstairs, ideally attached to ceiling.

1. Do I need to install Cat6a cabling to ensure it can handle GB speeds and allow for any improvements of internet speeds in the future?

I currently have an Asus RT68U with 20 connected devices.

2. What type of switch / router combo should I look for to ensure I'd get the most out of those internet speeds?

3. I am considering having multiple data points in the same location (i.e. back of the TV) so I can connect multiple devices. Is there any difference having only one data point installed and have a small switch to connect those multiple devices?

Would appreciate any recommendations on racks, patch panels, switches, routers and access points!

Cheers

2. Pugs

Pugs Member

To do the actual install it is needed to be done by an open registered cabler.

Cat6 can do 10GiGE up to 55m*

*(not certified to do it, but if installed properly it should be able to do this)

Cat5e and Cat6 are rated for 1GigE upto 100m^
    ^(90m inwall/ roof with an allowance of 5m each end for patch cables)

Cat6a is rated for same 100m as Cat5e and 6 but for 10GigE

Cat6a is a pita to retro fit (more pvc jacket requires more allowances for bends.

As for the rest of the network hard-wired part let the Cabler provide this.. they cover it for warranty purposes.

Racks are cheap enough... switch just factor in the amount of ports you have and round up to the nearest 16/ 24 or 48

As for single cables and multiple small switches... personally I see them as waste.. cable once, cable correctly

As for hardware Unifi... one simple Environment to learn they do it all too, Routers, Switches, WAP's, cctv Cameras and door entry gear

Last edited: Oct 4, 2021
    M1ck1 likes this.
  3. OP
    OP
    Snake144

Snake144 Member

Thanks for the reply! Yes I will be getting a professional to do the install.

Does that mean there are diminishing returns on Cat6 beyond 55m? i.e. if it's 70m it may only get to 5GB

If I'm currently on 1GB down and I purchase a 1GB switch, will that be limiting my speed off the bat?

When switches are advertised as 1GB, is that 1GB for the whole unit or per port?

If multiple people are downloading large files at once, will the speed be divided between those devices? i.e. each device gets 500mb download capacity?

Cheers!

4. infiltraitor

infiltraitor Member

most often, no. it will be 10gbit, 1gbit or 100mbit. you can get switches that do 2.5 and 5gbit but they aren't as popular.
    it can often be easier to get second hand enterprise gear that does 10gbit than it is to get a brand new switch that does 2.5 and 5gbit.

no, the speed is per port and your internet will be limited by other factors including the remote servers you are connecting to.

it is for each port.

not exactly, it will depend on the capacity of the server that the people are getting files from.. some will be slower, some faster.
    there is no defined sharing of download capacity. you could set that up, but that is going a bit over the top for a home unless you want to learn by doing.

Snake144 and Pugs like this.
  5. OP
    OP
    Snake144

Snake144 Member

Thanks mate, really appreciate those explanations! Just need to wait till VIC lockdown is over to get someone in to sort this out :)

6. R4+Z

R4+Z Member

Now I don't believe that is correct. The bandwidth on your NBN is 1 GB down so no you can't have two people downloading at I GB each they will share the available speed but will also get less than 500 mb each due to overheads (Signalling and the like). Yes if the remote server can't send at those speeds, you will only receive at the speed they are sending at.

Whilst you wouldn't run a single cable if only for redundancy, if you have devices that are mutually exclusive, say 2 games consoles, a Kodi and say a foxtel box, you can't watch them at the same time on the same screen so a switch could be cost effective in a location like that as it is only there to save you having to keep moving the connection around. There is a small ongoing cost to power the switch but it is fairly negligible so it simply comes down to preference.

One thing to bear in mind is that the higher you want to go in speed, the less neatly the cables should be installed. A major limiter in speed is Alien crosstalk where the data in one cable is induced into another cable. So you don't want nice neatly run bundles of cables heading off together as the further they travel together, the greater the crosstalk, the further apart the better and screened cable is even better (You would need an earth cable run into your rack if you go screened).

Snake144 likes this.
  7. infiltraitor

infiltraitor Member

You are correct, but I answered the question assuming the question was would each person get 50% of the bandwidth (ie. divided evenly) and it is more of a 'you get what you get' situation and just because you have a 1Gbit internet connection it wont mean you can download a game update at 1Gbit until it is complete.
    there are many other factors that determine download speeds, not just your internet connection speed and how many people are using your home internet at that time

Pugs likes this.
  8. OP
    OP
    Snake144

Snake144 Member

Thanks for the replies! I've got a general understanding now and think I will go with the following setup:
    - Wire house with cat 6
    - Cabled some points with multi inputs rather than add a small switch (but always have that option if necessary)
    - Look for a 16 port 1GB switch (not sure which one)
    - Get a 18RU rack to house patch panel, switch, modem, router, NAS, smart hubs
    - Look for a ceiling mount AP

infiltraitor and Pugs like this.
  9. infiltraitor

infiltraitor Member

any specific reason for an 18RU rack?
    that's huge for what you have listed, unless you are also wanting to put other gear in it as well?

I have a 6RU comms rack mounted at ceiling height in my garage that houses a patch panel, switch, nbn modem, router and 1ru power board with room to spare.

Pugs likes this.
  10. Pugs

Pugs Member

Yep.. unless you need all that space... even a 9ru would be enough... if you are putting in a server ...don't residential walls won't support it.. unless you reinforce them with lintels

11. OP
    OP
    Snake144

Snake144 Member

Oh really?!? Do you guys have a shelf in the rack for those extra bits to stand on or are they just on the switch? Is everything enclosed? How does that go for heat distribution?

12. Pugs

Pugs Member

My extra bits are my Arris modem and USG, I had a custom 1RU made for them a merging of 3 different 3d print stl files.

As for heat..air flow is the key have some fans or good general air flow...or it is in an area that is passively cooled

13. Mjölnir

Mjölnir Member

I have a 12RU rack and it's a bit squishy. Got a switch, NVR, NAS, modem, router, patch panel, cable management & UPS. in there Depends on what hardware you want to put in yours. Check out this thread for ideas. It's also worth considering rack depth and what accessories are in it. I wouldn't go less than 600mm deep. Look for racks with fan kits and power rails included. The fans especially can cost quite a bit if you have to buy seperately. 4-cabling racks are well priced and include pretty much everything you need.

Last edited: Oct 15, 2021
    Pugs and Snake144 like this.
  14. Pugs

Pugs Member

also you can use your favourite spread sheet app to map out your rack needs.. 1RU = 1 row.. gives you a good visuilastion of your needs and how much space you need

Snake144 likes this.