Wireless Information and Discussion (pending FAQ)

Discussion in 'Networking, Telephony & Internet' started by Stanza, Aug 2, 2002.

1. Mensuri

Mensuri Member

ok, heres what i am hopping will happen,

i've a pc with windows xp - home linked to the modem, my wife has a laptop witn vista and she wants a wireless network so she can work in any room she likes.

From what i've read i just need a wireless router and a wireless card of some kind for the lap top and the main pc can just be plugged in via the ethernet cable, is that right????

Also will there be a problem as we are both running different OS's.

cheers

2. nux

nux Member

Yes, as long as you have an ethernet modem it will work fine.

Different OS's isnt a problem, as long as the wireless card supports Vista.

3. Sir poppin

Sir poppin Member

I finally set up my wireless network and it's running fine but I have a few questions..

- I've used WEP to secure the network, i live in an area where the majority of people are old and retired, should i bother with any other extra security?

- I have a Netgear AP and PCI card, and the antennas that came with them are rather short (about 5cm), are there longer antennas I can buy that will increase the signal I recieve?

- Are there any settings that I should use that will give me a better signal? atm i'm getting a 'low' signal strength but it seems pretty good, webpages ect load pretty fast and downloads seem smooth. :)

- is there anything else i should know?? :p

thanks.

4. 1800-gumby

1800-gumby Member

My wireless works fine most places but for some reason I can't find the network at my girlfriends house but she can and so can her house mates.

Theres no security on the network and i've tried entering the ssid manually in my list of networks to connect to and still cant get on. Any suggestion?

5. archie

archie Member

check you dont have a 'b' card only and hers is only scanning for 'g' clients or vice versa.

6. 1800-gumby

1800-gumby Member

My wireless is b/g compatible (just checked) so I don't think it could be that. Forgot to add my girlfriend is using a mac, and it just automatically connected.

7. Ace Rimmer

Ace Rimmer Member

^^ Have you checked for mac (not the apple mac, btw :p) address filtering that will only allow specified mac addresses to connect?

8. Utetopia

Utetopia Member

Finally after all these years of dial-up, we finally have broadband Superfast G thru Telstra. Just on a trial at the moment to ensure the connection has satisfactory signal quality.

We are using the blue wireless modem & it doesn't have ethernet support, only USB. I have a WRT54G v7 router here that I'd like to use when we get properly connected. Are there good quality ethernet wireless modems available that will work under Bigpond?

9. Dozza

Dozza Member

I'm thinking of getting wireless but I have a concern.

Ok, the only way to explain how the setup will be is for me to draw it.

http://img339.imageshack.us/img339/9657/wirelessgu6.jpg

The room where the wireless modem will be is red.

The little blue square is a small set of steps of about 4 which lead out of the red room (wireless modem location) to a small hallway which the kitchen and bigger but still small set of stairs run off.

The orange rectangle is the kitchen.

The little green rectangle is the main set of stairs of about 8 steps which goes to another small hallway if you walk up them.

The little blue rectangle is the small hallway. Mine and my brothers rooms run off it.

The purple rectangle is my room where my computer will be. My brother's will be in the room next to it (not shown).

So as you can see I SORT of have 3 stories. But you wouldn't really think of it as 3 stories because it's just a tiny set of steps that lead out of the room where the modem will be.

If someone can make sense of it, do you think I will have a good signal? My downlink is about 5700kbps sometimes more and my uplink is about 1000kbps which isn't very good for ADSL2+ as you can see. So I can't have it any slower.

So could someone please help me out?

If you don't understand I could take some pictures if it will help more.

Thanks.

Also, the distance from the room where the wireless modem will be and to where the PC will be is probably about 12-15metres. Maybe less.

By the way, I'm probably going to be getting the Dynalink RTA1025W modem.

10. nux

nux Member

What sort of walls? It should be fine if you angle the antennas to maximise signal strength.

11. Dozza

Dozza Member

The wall which the 8 stairs are in is brick, not too thick though.

Here's a picture of the wall from where the modem will be.
    [​IMG]
    Here's the 8 stairs. At the top if you turn right my room is there.

[​IMG]

Here's the a picture of the wall thickness, the stairs and a bit of the room where the modem will be.

[​IMG]

I should be fine don't you reckon?

Edit: Does the Billion 7402GL-M have a stronger signal than the Dynalink 1025W?

Last edited: Jun 25, 2007
  12. bennyg

bennyg Member

Hi, I'm after some basic info. I know I'm asking questions that have been asked a hundred times before but I haven't seen a simple cogent answer in any of my searches (a couple of times in this very forum I have seen this question asked with zero replies)

As I see it I can either buy a wireless modem for far too much $$$ or just hook up a wireless router to the existing modem. I just wanna be prepared when I call Bigpond people.

I wanna set up a wireless network at home. I am on Bigpond Cable (yes I know) with an old Motorola SB4200 modem. When, at some moment in the future "they" decide to install non-telstra ADSL2+ in East Kew exchange, I want ADSL2+. I have 2 lappys with 802.11abg which I want to share internet and files with the desky.

What hardware do I need, how will it be set up (currently cable -> modem, modem -> via cat5/rj45 -> into onboard ethernet port). How do I secure it. Will the signal strength be good enough to get 10m through through a couple of double-brick walls.

Thanks in advance.

EDIT: nice avatar pic ^^^ :thumbup:

Last edited: Jul 16, 2007
  13. nux

nux Member

Just get a wireless router, then when you move to ADSL you can connect it to a standard ADSL modem. The best choice is a Linksys WRT54GL, have a search, it gets recommended time and time again.

Setup WPA encryption with a decent length key and your wireless will be safe. Signal strength should be fine over that distance.

14. Utetopia

Utetopia Member

Anybody have experience with the Telstra Next G blue wireless modem? Can the internet connection be shared at all by way of ICS? I can't get the 2 PCs to talk internet to each other like I could with the 56k..

Running the main PC in the office hooked up to the modem to the PC in my room via crossover cable.

15. Tr3nt

Tr3nt Member

"Unable to Connect to Preferred Wireless Network"

Hey all

Dunno if anyone can help me.. but hope so ;)

The network: university wireless with WPA2 encryption

The story: Had vista installed, net working fine; Went back to XP due to it running to slow on my hardware and plus a lot of things still aren't supported fully and thus lots of issues. - now can't get on. The signal is picked up in available wireless networks, but just pops up with that message all the time (see Subject).. can't think of what itd be. Have tried 3 different wireless cards: dlink dwl-g510(rev.C); netgear wg311 <-- both PCI; and dwl-120+ (usb); no change; tried a different copy of XP; .. installing XP on a different HDD (not that that would do anything).. any ideas anyone? Thanks

16. synoptica

synoptica Member

Yep - XP needs a patch to use WPA2 :) Without it, it'll do exactly what it's doing for you now :)

17. Tr3nt

Tr3nt Member

yeh, everything is patched ;)

18. synoptica

synoptica Member

Are you 100% sure?

The WPA2 patch isn't something that comes with Windows Update (afaik), you have to go looking for it :)

And the problems you're describing are identical to the issues you'd be having if you didn't have that patch installed...

19. Tr3nt

Tr3nt Member

yeah.. definitely 100%.. Went to Google, searched for it, downloaded it, and installed it (from Microsoft site) ..

and just to be sure, I just re-downloaded the file and reinstalled it - same thing; file: WindowsXP-KB893357-v2-x86-ENU

Last edited: Aug 29, 2007
  20. synoptica

synoptica Member

Does WZC actually show the network as WPA2?

That's one way to confirm the patch is installed...

If so... then I've got no idea!