Wireless internet, worth it?

Discussion in 'Networking, Telephony & Internet' started by Darko, Oct 2, 2017.

1. Darko

Darko Member

I'm thinking of ditching the traditional ADSL/NBN wired internet and going wireless, quoted price and speed looks to be about the same from providers like Nuskope and Uniti, so I can't see any downside to it so far.

Can anyone with some experience or knowledge with wireless internet offer their wisdom, is it worth it or am I wasting my time?

Last edited: Oct 2, 2017
  2. caspian

caspian Member

if you can get NBN wired internet, why ever would you want to go to an inferior access technology?

3. ipv6ready

ipv6ready Member

In the future I don’t see myself having a landline.
    When big data allowance 4g evolution or 5g sim comes out no more nbn for me.

Even on 4g if I had 500gb I’d get rid of my connection.

4. OP
    OP
    Darko

Darko Member

Is it inferior? I don't know I would of thought that wireless was more the future

5. caspian

caspian Member

this isn't Star Trek. a terrestrial connection will beat wireless for throughput, stability, latency and resilience for some time yet.

fixed wireless is something you use when you can't get a decent terrestrial link to your location, and mobility wireless is a casual convenience solution, not a core one.

6. Copie

Copie Member

Not really.

Limited wireless spectrums means more prone to congestion, more susceptible to weather effecting the connection, more latency etc

4G etc is only decent now because of the limited users and data caps.

7. Hepsily

Hepsily Member

What sort of Wireless? its a pretty broad term

I was on WiMax fixed wireless for about a year when I was living in Jindabyne, it was a 12/1 service but it was rock solid, never had any issues with it at all, they started offering faster services just before I moved so there was no point in upgrading. The only other option at the time was ADSL so it was a no brainer. I have FTTP now (Hobart) and would never switch to something else even if it was available.

It comes down to what available in your area and then pick the best you can from there.

8. OP
    OP
    Darko

Darko Member

I was looking at something like this which are offering up to 50/20Mbs......https://unitiwireless.com/

For the past year I've had multiple issues with my current ADSL2 (internode)
    The download speeds have been all over the place, for a while I might get a sync speed of 18Mbs then drops to 4Mbs which equates to a download speed of 400kbs.
    I've tried different modems, cables, phone lines, phone sockets and just recently had a technician to my house and confirmed that there's nothing wrong at my end but the problem still remains, I'm fucken over it which is why I'm considering other options.

9. Copie

Copie Member

Compared to ADSL2 its an upgrade, they are using airmax gear which provided its got LOS works really really well and their pricing is good without being stupid.

Only downside is the 24 month locked contract.

I would have a connection with them over adsl2 easily, but no way would i consider wifi/4G over fiber.

10. SSJ4

SSJ4 Member

I currently use an Optus 4G modem/router for gaming and streaming. AC wireless and 4x Gb Ethernet.

Stability and speeds have been fine. I can consistently stream 720p at 2400 bit rate while gaming over xbox live or PC. I have dropped the stream to 540p for data reasons and because non affiliates on twitch can only provide source quality so people in Oz without cable or NBN cant watch my stream in 720p.

My Plan is 100gb a month for $70 I think, I bought the modem outright. Couldnt be happier with how it works. It is also convenient to be able to take my net with me, I was going to a LAN and my team mates and I got an Air bnb together to practice the couple nights together. I setup the 4G modem and supported 4 people playing Halo 5 no problem.

However this is not my standalone internet. I have a shitty adsl connection for netflix and other general internet uses since I only have 100gb to play with.

11. OP
    OP
    Darko

Darko Member

Thanks for the feedback, Fibre is due in my area Feb/March next year so it might be worth putting up with my ADSL2 until then, it just shits me paying for something that I'm not getting.

12. Copie

Copie Member

If they could give you a 6 month contract you would be sweet as that would cover you until the rollout.

Didnt think NBN was rolling out any more FTTP

13. broccoli

broccoli Member

I only have wireless. It's better than my "proper" internet ever was. The only downside is that it costs more. I don't get much data, but I don't use much data, so it suits me.

14. OP
    OP
    Darko

Darko Member

I assume it would be FTTN

15. caspian

caspian Member

how is that the case? with DSL you're paying for connectivity with a defined maximum speed. any expectations of performance are ones you have defined for yourself.

16. OP
    OP
    Darko

Darko Member

The stated speed by the ISP is 8-20Mbs for ADSL2, I'm currently getting less than 4Mbs, so I think that qualifies as not getting what you pay for.
    Prior to this my sync speed was 18Mbs, quite a difference.

17. callan

callan Member

I have a Vivid Wireless connection as a backup for our HFC NBN connection, and as a backup medium it's quite good. only 10mbit but we seem to have an uncongested link, and good LOS with the local tower. Websurfing, gaming are quite acceptable with multiple machines. YMMV though, and I DO much prefer the HFC connection!

Callan

18. caspian

caspian Member

that is the maximum. go look in your contractual T&Cs where it entitles you to that speed. and having done so, have you rung your ISP to require that they deliver it, and what was their response?

19. stevenx

stevenx Member

We've been with Uniti for a touch over three years on a plan that no longer exists - a 100/100 business plan using contested bandwidth. We're one of their first customers, and we now host a large tower installation for them. That said, I have no financial interest - just a happy customer.

These kind of results are pretty standard:

[​IMG]

There's no congestion at busy times and no obvious service degradation due to weather - it'll spit out those numbers in the middle of winter when we're fogged in (we are in the Adelaide foothills), or when there's 7km of rain between us and the tower we're connected to. At peak Netflix time... no change.

It's a good option if you're like us and fibre would cost a ridiculous amount to install, or if you're not interested in waiting for a slower NBN connection. I don't have any plans to switch to the NBN when/if it finally becomes available - there will have to be a significant change in NBN performance to get me interested. FTTN is expected to reach here late next year - offering lower speeds than we'll have had, by then, for four and a half years.

20. OP
    OP
    Darko

Darko Member

I'm not here to argue with you mate but let me break it down again
    The quoted speeds for ADSL2 is 8-20Mbs, that's a range from minimum to maximum, it's not a maximum and at less than 4Mbs which I'm currently getting that's well below the quoted minimum and is not ADSL2 speeds.
    some days it's even slower and other days it drops out altogether.

Until recently I used to get a steady 18Mbs with the same provider and hardware, so I'm getting less then a quarter of what I used to for the same cost, so something has clearly gone wrong.
    Now if you may think that's acceptable but I don't, I simply want the speeds that I was previously getting and pay for.