Wireless Network Booster

Discussion in 'Networking, Telephony & Internet' started by wmmartin, May 1, 2005.

1. wmmartin

wmmartin Member

I recently bought a Netgear DG834GT followed by a 54G card for my laptop. Unfortunately the card doesn't pick up a strong enough signal to maintain an internet connection which poses a problem. The whole reason I bought it was because one week in five I do 24 hour tech support for a week, and the company I work for is worldwide so I get calls at like 2am, at which time it's bloody cold and I don't really wanna get out of bed! :tired:

I'd like to buy a signal booster rather than move the router otherwise I have to start getting phone ports moved or added. Running cables isn't an option.

Can anyone recommend a solution to boost the signal send/receive strength at the router only?

I've already tried adding a CD onto the antenna which makes the strength jump sporadically, which still isn't good enough.

Any help would be appreciated.

Warrick

P.S. If it's a limitation on the card I'll get them to cancel the send on the card and buy another one.... Model number Netgear WG511

Last edited: May 1, 2005
  2. ipAlien

ipAlien Member

A question if I may?
    Over what distance are we talking about because I don't see why speed and what not should be an issue within a normal house? With that said if its going through a few walls, 20 meters or less, I don't see why you should be having these kinds of problems and would maybe suggest taking the router back!

If all this fails its either a large antenna I suppose, or maybe trying a Belkin Pre-N Router ?

More details needed to make a half decent answer. :lol:

3. Bubonic

Bubonic (Banned or Deleted)

CD onto the antenna??

How does that work, just flop a cd over the antenna at the back of the case?

4. OP
    OP
    wmmartin

wmmartin Member

The distance is about 8 metres, through 4 courses of brick. And the signal strength varies from very good to very low and occasionally not connected. I was told that adding a CD to the top of the router arial increases signal strength because it uses the metal surface of the CD to transmit.

Warrick

5. stmok

stmok Member

6. ipAlien

ipAlien Member

I don't know about anyone else, but over 8M and a few walls, you shouldn't be having any problems. I would be maybe changing the channel and see what results you get from that. If all this fails update firmware and then try the above again... :thumbup:

7. Bubonic

I have mine at low to medium connection after passing over 8 metres through 3 walls of double brick. It's a Belkin54g router, I don't know model number, but if you google-image belkin54g it shows the one I have.

Last edited: May 2, 2005
  8. Roman209

Roman209 Member

Get a directional antenna.
    You can try making your own and see how that goes.

Have a look at freenet http://www.freenet-antennas.com they have got some good antennas which are very effective, only problem is they can be abit expensive.

I would suggest trying to make your own first or if your too slack then get one.

9. gottathink

gottathink Member

do you notice a difference between having adaptive radio and extended range options turned on/off in the router settings?

you could also try orienting the antenna a different direction and see if there is a difference

what brand was the original 54g card? if u believe the netgear marketing you may find one of their 108m cards better. ymmv.

10. SaTaN

SaTaN Member

sorry to but in.. but does this work? i just set up wireless @ my sisters place and the signal strength is piss weak considering the distance is only 5m or so (but through a roof and a double brick wall) so maybe ill try this next time im there

11. ipAlien

ipAlien Member

I can walk across the road into someone elses house and still be connected! This does depend on the channel the unit is set to because thing such as cordless phones can affect performance. If you have issues over 5M, thats even worse!

12. Bubonic

I just put an old old cd over the antenna, it has increased the signal.. interesting.. bless that ally's playhouse cd :)

13. OP
    OP
    wmmartin

wmmartin Member

Yes it's intriguing isn't it.

Unfortunately the firmware currently on the router doesn't have a range configuration it's still the original firmware and the only other firmware available is beta which has known issues... Considering they've been out a while it's a bit ridiculous that there isn't a firmware patch out for it.
    I'll test the Beta, and see how it goes. I'm worried it may have security flaws.

I have a friend at work who has a directional antenna, I'm borrowing that. I'll also ask the guy I'm borrowing the wireless card from if I can use his 108Mbps card over night to test it. I'll keep you all posted on that!

Warrick

14. SaTaN

SaTaN Member

well i just got back from my sisters.. changed the channel from 11 to 2 and the signal strength went from very low to good!!!
    so thanx for the hint

Last edited: May 3, 2005
  15. ipAlien

ipAlien Member

Bingo! Like I said, play with it and you should see a difference in performance... End of story... :) :thumbup:

16. OP
    OP
    wmmartin

wmmartin Member

The 108 card made no difference, but I did as SaTaN did and changed to channel two the signal isn't great, but at least it's constant. I'm thinking about buying a range extender perhaps. I guess there must be alot of interference here.... I'm looking about buying this in addition to my router. Maybe pay day!

Warrick

17. OP
    OP
    wmmartin

wmmartin Member

Ok... As an update I don't think that there is a problem with the signal strength as I took the laptop out in the car and drove almost a Km away from my house before I lost my internet connection. I think that my room must just be shielded from the microwaves emitted by the router... Which means I need to relocate the router to an alternative location.

I ran net stumbler on the way to work this morning and picked up SIX unprotected networks. I even got internet access! It's ridiculous!
    I bet those same people haven't even bothered changing the default password on their router! :sick:

Warrick

18. mpot

mpot Member

Only six?
    I had netstumbler running on my laptop while driving home from work earlier this week, and picked up a total of 58 networks, with about half of those not running WEP/WPA.

Cheers,
    Martin.

19. Assasinator_2

Assasinator_2 (Banned or Deleted)

Only half?

I have pulled 50 in my estate, with a 70%ish unprotected rate. And this is a rich suburb, which'll mainly have cable/ADSL connections (waterfront estate).

20. OP
    OP
    wmmartin

wmmartin Member

It was quite funny actually, I got to work where we don't have a wireless network and still had a connection with internet! Should tell the boss, we could save a little money :lol:

Warrick