Wireless problem with new Studio XPS 1340

Discussion in 'Networking, Telephony & Internet' started by AesthetiCz, Sep 10, 2009.

1. AesthetiCz

AesthetiCz Member

Hey guys,

Did an extensive search on here but couldnt find anyone who has had the same problem as me. Happy to be proven wrong though!

I got my new Studio XPS 1340 today and the first thing i did was wipe vista and put windows 7 on.

Now I have installed all the drivers but I am having a problem with the wireless network. It is picking up my home network and even connecting to it. When I go into Firefox, in the bottom corner where it tells you what its doing, it says, connected to site, transferring from site, and then goes to waiting on site and doesnt get past there. The moment i stick the network cable in it all works fine and goes directly to the site.

I cannot for the life of me figure out what is going on!

Anyone got any ideas?

Thanks,

Rhys

The network card is the Dell Wireless 1510 N card.

2. OP
    OP
    AesthetiCz

AesthetiCz Member

After talking extensively with Dell and Belkin I think the problem is conflict between windows network utility and dell network utility. However, I cant find where to turn the windows utility off. Does anyone know how this can be done?

3. Davo1111

Davo1111 Member

i had a similar issue with an asus laptop. i just disabled the dell utility instead and it all works fine.

4. OP
    OP
    AesthetiCz

AesthetiCz Member

yeah i would love to disable the utility, but I cant figure out how.

In older versions of windows there was an option to choose who managed the wireless networks; windows or dell. There doesnt appear to be such an option in windows 7. And the dell utility itself doesnt seem to have any options at all, it seems more like a monitoring tool more than anything that serves any functional purpose.

5. Davo1111

Davo1111 Member

i havent used windows 7, but try windows config and stop startup access of dell wireless.

6. OP
    OP
    AesthetiCz

AesthetiCz Member

The problem is the only thing that is starting is the Dell tray icon. I dont think its an actual utility :S. I have stopped that from starting but it doesnt make any difference.

Was on the phone to dell for dead set an hour and a half this arvo. Was also on the phone to them this morning and was then referred by them to the Router manufacturer to see what they thought. Router manufacturer concluded it was an issue with dell wireless software and windows wireless software because I can still ping external websites just cannot view content in web browser.

Anyway the conclusion of my discussion this arvo was the technician was gonna go away and research and call me back tomorrow.

Far out this is frustrating.

7. Davo1111

Davo1111 Member

lol dell tech have no idea.
    hmmmmmm. i'd go on the dell website, click support - drivers, select your model, and find out what the programs are called under the "wireless" section, then i'd uninstall/stop everything bar the wireless card driver. from memory with my xps m1530 there were 3 installations, 1 the actual driver and 2 software programs.

8. power

power Member

uninstall the Dell utility and just install the driver - I think you should be fine then.

9. OP
    OP
    AesthetiCz

AesthetiCz Member

the dell utility (if you could call it that, it doesnt have any real functionality as far as i can see) is bundled with the driver so if you delete the utility it deletes the driver as well.

Funny thing is I am on another unsecured network right now and im using the internet.

OMGG i dont get it!!

10. the scotsman

the scotsman Member

Uninstall the Dell driver? Windows 7 should install the wireless network driver.

11. OP
    OP
    AesthetiCz

AesthetiCz Member

it seems to be an issue with the wireless security. I was on another unsecured network and it was working fine.

When i connect it to this one no web content shows up, just says its waiting for the site.

12. Annihilator69

Annihilator69 Member

1) uninstall dell utility.
    or
    2) Disable Windows Zero Config in Services.
    or
    Format.

13. kizza2153

kizza2153 Member

Could it be a dns issue? Try changing your dns settings to the opendns servers [208.67.222.222 208.67.220.220].