Wiring Diagrams

Discussion in 'Networking, Telephony & Internet' started by poeee, Dec 31, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. poeee

poeee Member

I am after a Wiring Diagram so I can terminate the cat5, that I have ran though the house, to the RJ45 wall sockets.

I have read through teh Networking FAQ, but the pics seem to be down, so no diagrams.

Thnx in advance.

2. grill

grill Member

all of the sockets i have seen are colour coded so you just follow that. Have you looked at it closely?

3. nbk

nbk Member

*Looks at dead server sitting on bench*

The pics are down atm, I'll be relocating them onto another (more stable, faster) server asap.

4. OP
    OP
    poeee

poeee Member

So they're the same at either end?

5. Iceman

Iceman Member

Yes. Pardon me but you don't seem to know what you are doing here. Perhaps you should consult some guides or better yet, a professional to avoid ruining your cable?

6. katastrophe

katastrophe Member

Ruin your cables? If you bugger one end up you cut it off and try again. Never learn anything if you don't get down and get your hands dirty....

As for CAT5 standard practice for the colours is (looking at the RJ45 module from the underside, ie the side WITHOUT the clip)

---Orange White
    ---Orange
    ---Green White
    ---Blue
    ---Blue White
    ---Green
    ---Brown White
    ---Brown

And for a crossover cable you swap the orange white with the green white and the orange with the green at ONE end.

Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong.

Don't let people discourage you from doing it yourself. Best case scenario you save a buttload of cash. Worst case scenario you bugger up and have to get the pros in to fix it. So long as you didn't go kinking the cable the pros would just be able to fix the ends and it would be right as rain. Not a big loss in my books.

Feel free to flame/correct me if I'm wrong, I love learning new things :D

-katas

7. OP
    OP
    poeee

poeee Member

Thnx katastrophem, I couldn't agree with you more, how ya gunna learn if ya don't just give it a go.

Iceman, before ya have a go at me, perhaps you should consult my question, which was asking for the diagram as the pics were down in the NETWORKING FAQ, which I would say is a damn good GUIDE!

Last edited: Jan 1, 2003
  8. Iceman

Iceman Member

I wasn't having a go at you, just making a suggestion how you might save yourself some time and hassles. It may be a good guide but there is a lot more to laying interior cat 5 cabling (if you want it to perform correctly) then just getting the ends right.

I won't knock anyone trying to do something for themselves or learn a new skill, but when you jump head first into something new it helps to do a little research on it first.

9. OP
    OP
    poeee

poeee Member

Well I can say that I have got as far as having the 2 PC's conected, sharing internet, files, printer, etc. next to each other with a short cross over cable. My father is a technitian at Telstra, so he knows how to run the cable correctly, terminate it, because its the same as your average phone socket, but we're unsure of the actual order of the wires.

Grill, I think the actual wall sockets we have, which my father got from work, don't have the colour codes on them, as I think they're phone ones (exactally the same RJ45).

As for ruining the cable, no chance of that happening, once the order of the wires are determined, my father has no chance of stuffing it up. We have put more than enough cat5 in, so if anything does need changing, pull a little more through, as easy as that.

10. Gnuthad

Gnuthad Member

You are aware that permanently installing your own network cable if you intend to use the internet through a modem (dial-up or ADSL) is illegal without a permit ($66), aren't you?

11. Iceman

Iceman Member

Thats a new one, show me that regulation on the ACA website please?

12. driver

driver Member

AFAIK, you can run your own network cable at home providing it doesn't connect to the public telephone network.

And if that's not the rule, then I got some tradesman out of the newpaper ages ago to install it ;)

13. pax

pax Member

14. Tharg

Tharg Member

Are you sure you aren't talking about RJ11/RJ12 sockets?

Most Cat5 jacks these days are colour coded for both 568a & 568b configurations.

On an rj45 wiring scheme ethernet uses pins 1 & 2 , 3 & 6 for rx/tx
    It matters that you use the orange and green pairs on these pins.
    (see Pax's link) otherwise you won't get Cat5 performance. If you are using 100bTX you will get packet loss resulting in poor network performance.
    Same applies to the jacks (rj45 sockets) if they aren't Cat5 or above , expect problems at anything over 10bT.

15. OP
    OP
    poeee

poeee Member

RJ45 is the wall mount, RJ11/RJ12 are at the device end.

Permit, eh?

16. OP
    OP
    poeee

poeee Member

All done now, thnx for the links.

17. Gnuthad

Gnuthad Member

There was a pdf posted a few weeks back from the ACA website that contains all the details. Have a quick search, shouldn't be too hard to find. From memory, the thread was about business cabling for an internet cafe.

18. Iceman

Iceman Member

Ah yes, http://www.cpr.fpaa.com.au/ACA-Application1.pdf is the link you are refering to?

I've read it a couple of times and I'm still on the fence. It does list modems as isolating devices and 'computer / data' cabling. But I can see no reason you would be required to be certified as a computer between a network card and an austel approved modem is most definately an isolating device. If you require a licence to cable between the computer with the modem and another computer, why don't you require a licence to do work on that computer since that gives you a much higher chance of possibly buggering something up, killing the modem and passing on some damage to the telecommunications network.

That being said though, there are a few niggly regulations I have a problem with, one being you cannot use ANY equipment unless it has the austel logo on it, this includes cat 5. In other words, you cannot lay cat 5 unless it has a dodgy little dot matrix austel logo printed on the sheath. So hey, if they want to throw in another strange one, I guess I shouldn't be terribly suprised.

19. Gnuthad

Gnuthad Member

If you read the top of the left column on page 2, the application specifically states that you need a permit (since Oct 2000) to do work even behind an isolating device. Prior to Oct 2000 you could cable behind an isolating device without a license.

20. OP
    OP
    poeee

poeee Member

All ya need is an AUSTEL liscence, which my father has.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.