wmc ripping and playing BD

Discussion in 'HTPC' started by southernduckie, May 18, 2013.

1. southernduckie

southernduckie Member

Hi I'll admit im a noob,
    I have just finished building a HTPC running win 7 and wmc i have also got AnyDVDHD what i want to know is how do i set it up to rip my DVD and BD collection to HDD and play it back though my Video library? i've still not figured out AnyDVD yet:(
    I use this to watch live TV so i use WMC as its easy to use but cannot figure out the whole video content thing yet help please

2. kesawi

kesawi Member

Not sure how to use AnyDVD as I haven't played around with it. If you rip it as an ISO you'll still need a third party player.

My personal recommendation is to use MakeMKV to rip the discs to BluRay, it's free software. It strips all of the extra fluff and just gives you the main movie in an mkv file.

You could the use Handbrake to compress the files down in size as well if you wanted to.

Grab the Shark007 codec and install them for native playback in WMC.

I'd recommend grabbing Media Browser and using that as the front end for your library in WMC.

The above combination is pretty good when used together with WMC.

3. OP
    OP
    southernduckie

southernduckie Member

thanks

thank you kesawi i have gone with Shark 007 and make mkv.

make mkv seems to work very well heaps easy to use.
    Still cant get shark 007 to work the mkv files don't show up on my library on wmc or play in wmc? seems to play fine through media player. looked on the shark 007 help page but they seem to talk a strange language way above my level just need help setting up on a 32 bit operating system.
    thanks heaps for the advice so far :):thumbup:

4. power

power Member

WMC will be much happier if you change the file extension to .avi

5. ni9ht_5ta1k3r

ni9ht_5ta1k3r Member

anydvd hd should have an icon in the taskbar just right click it and there's an option to rip to the HDD as a straight copy or as an ISO.

I use ripbot264 to encode my vids.

6. OP
    OP
    southernduckie

southernduckie Member

Yep just proved it,:lol: it turns out it was all functioning perfectly when i installed shark 007. just had wmc Library looking in the wrong place for my files once sorted it all just works THANK YOU :thumbup::thumbup:

is there any way to have cover art and titles automatically pulled so it looks nice?:confused: like the music collection when you rip a cd?

Last edited: May 18, 2013
  7. ni9ht_5ta1k3r

ni9ht_5ta1k3r Member

you need to find a metadata scraper to do that as MB/WMC is a bit iffy when doing it automatically....and hence why i went back to XBMC.

try googling media center master.

8. kesawi

kesawi Member

There's a good guide to setting up Shark007 at assassinhtpcblog.com/?page_id=39#guide1. It reflects an earlier version of Shark007 codec pack but the settings are still the same. There are additional HTPC guides at the site behind a pay wall which has a onetime USD25 fee. Most of the stuff in the guides can be found by Googling around for each individual product and problem, but the paid guides put them all together in one place. They are very well put together and personally I think it is well worth the money for the subscription, particularly if you’re setting things up from scratch.

I use Media Center Master to scrape all of my metadata. It will produce the necessary files for Media Browser and a whole range of other front ends. MCM is free to use, the paid version incorporates usenet and torrent downloaders (you can get the same functionality for free with sickbeard). The key is in how you arange your media library.

I have one directory for movies and another directory for downloaded tv shows. The structure in the movies folder is every movie has a folder titled Moviename (Year). Each movie file resided in the corresponsing folder with the filename Moviename (Year).Ext. For example The Hangover is in Movies\The Hangover (2009)\The Hangover (2009).mkv

For TV shows, each show is in its own directory under the main tv directory. Within each show directory are individual subdirectories for each season. Each episode filename is based on the showname, season number and episode number. For example the path to episode 4 of season 3 of The Walking Dead is TV Shows\The Walking Dead\Season 03\The Walking Dead S03E04.mp4. You can also add additional info to the file names (which I use) or drop the leading zero from the season number (I prefer to keep the leading zero so it is always the same length regardless of show - for example The Simpsons is into double digits).

You can adjust how MCM, sickbeard and other utilities recognise movies and episodes but you need to choose a naming convention and stick with it so that it is consistent between programs. You can also do movie boxsets as well, but tackle that later once you've got everything else working first (for example putting all Hangover Movies under a subdirectory).

The PVR series recording functions in XBMC just don't have the same functionality as WMC at the moment. Hopefully this is something that will be improved in future releases.

9. ni9ht_5ta1k3r

ni9ht_5ta1k3r Member

For me i structure it like:

TV Shows/Game of Thrones/Season 1/1x01 - Winter Is Coming.mkv and xbmc works fine sometimes external scapers will mistake one show for another like the newsroom: i had the US version but it pulled the info for the Canadian version and same with house of cards - it pulled the UK version when i had the US version.

10. OP
    OP
    southernduckie

southernduckie Member

wow thank you all for your informative and constructive guides on how to achieve this i really thought that i would be left out in the cold after my blunder. makes me appreciate what great help here is in this wonderful place :) you wouldn't think it but I've been involved in computers since the commodore 64 (wow i remember getting a program in a book! and having to enter the hex code) ha ha you should google that if your not old enough to remember that or cassette tape drives!

11. kesawi

kesawi Member

Never had to program my own games, but I do remember the tape drives. Waiting 20 minutes for the game to load, only to discover the tape was crimped or defective right near the end :upset:

Glad to be of assistance.