Wonder Boy / Monster World / Monster Boy

Discussion in 'Retro & Arcade' started by elvis, Aug 15, 2016.

1. spoon69

spoon69 Formula 1 Reporter

I started playing WB in Monsterland on my Mini SNES yesterday, Sega Master System version of the game. My 7 yr old daughter was watching and said I think I could play that too dad :)

Pretty sure I was 5 when I played the original Wonderboy on C64 and would have been 8-9 when playing Monsterland on the Amiga, so she is certainly taking a similar path to me :D

elvis likes this.
  2. flain

flain Member

I started a play through of the remake on ps4 yesterday :). Currently up to lion form. I found that some sections of the game are actually easier when you turn on classic graphics for some reason. Especially boss fights, i just find it way easier to judge the hitboxes.

3. Alby1976

Alby1976 Member

Finished it the other day, although missed a few items, so might give it a run through again at some time.
    Really enjoyed lion-man, he is a stomper.

elvis likes this.
  4. OP
    OP
    elvis

elvis Old school old fool

Yeah, for Dragon's Trap all the hotbox code is based on the pixel art. I found the new art ok, but I can pretty much play the game blindfolded at this point.

My son beat me to completion of Monster Boy. He was way behind me but then pulled something amazing out and shot past me.

I'm pretty sure I'm close, though.

[edit]

Finally beat it today. Still lots of secrets I've missed, one in particular that's really doing my head in!

Last edited: Jan 28, 2019
  5. flain

flain Member

Just finished it myself, really loved the game surprised i never knew about it before. Although only a few of my friends had sega master systems and back then we tended not to own a lot of games. I played through most of it in classic gfx mode too.

I *think* I've got most if not all the secrets, all my items are complete. I have all the ps4 trophies for it except the "finish on hardmode" one. Once you get the Tasmanian sword that lets you change form at will it makes it a lot easier to go back get to things you couldn't before. Using the sword to change to the lion form before fighting the final boss makes him really easy to beat too.

6. OP
    OP
    elvis

Yeah, back in the day of you wanted to see the ending quickly, you'd use the "WE5T 0NE" code, change to Lion Man, use the hidden door in town to teleport straight to the final dragon, and beat the game in under 5 minutes.

Should be doable in the remake. I'll test it out tonight.

7. OP
    OP
    elvis

8. OP
    OP
    elvis

9. self_slaughter

self_slaughter Member

Nice to see the PC version of monster boy is getting some extra attention on the PC with unlocked frame rates and all that jazz.

I played most of The Dragons Trap in "retro" mode as it seemed a lot easier to nail those jumps etc. The new mode looked pretty, but playability suffered for me at least.

Hopefully this wont be the case with Monster Boy. :)

https://steamcommunity.com/games/449610/announcements/detail/1627400060581851295

10. OP
    OP
    elvis

Dragon's Trap is half price on PS4, $15:
    https://store.playstation.com/en-au/product/EP1470-CUSA06649_00-DOTWBDRAGONSTRAP

For Dragon's Trap, the engine is identical for retro and new mode. The game itself runs at 30FPS for all calculations internally. The new graphics mode wraps 60FPS graphics over the top, but all game calculations are done at 30FPS as per the original code.

There's no input or engine difference between old and new. Anything you feel is pure optical illusion.

This was all on purpose. The developer is the author of the Master System emulator, "Meka". Dragon's Trap was one of his favourite games as a kid ("Meka" is the final dragon in Wonderboy in Monsterland, and the first one in Dragon's Trap). He used Meka's built in debugger to completely disassemble the game, which allowed him to build it from machine code back up in C/C++, and build the engine that made the remake.

http://www.smspower.org/meka/

Without turning to pure emulation, it's the most accurate way you could rebuild a game on a modern system. And for that reason, he stuck with the 30FPS internal calculations, because that's what the original game logic used, even with the 60FPS new graphics.

Monster Boy, on the other hand, is a brand new game from the ground up. 60FPS all the way on existing console versions. I can't really see how more than that would help on PC, but I guess it makes PC gamers happy to see bigger numbers, even if they're meaningless.

I know quite a few people waiting for Monster Boy on PC. I've played it through to story completion on Switch (still need to go back and finish it 100%), but it was an amazing experience. You could definitely feel where every one of the seven years of development went. A very worthy finale for an excellent series of games, and a long legacy of quality.

It's been a long wait for PC. Glad to see some updates finally.

Last edited: May 10, 2019
    Fitzi likes this.
  11. OP
    OP
    elvis

#soon

Image1045026169.jpg

Fitzi likes this.
  12. Grant

Grant Member

Hopefully they give me a chance to throw more money at them for a separate OST release, or bundle the music files in the game as individual audio files. I'm sure some of the Youtube uploads of the game soundtrack are ripped from data from the console versions, but it's a great soundtrack worthy of its own release.

13. OP
    OP
    elvis

Not Monster Boy, but Dragon's Trap OST is here for anyone interested (I bought it, because it's one of the most memorable of my childhood)

https://dotemu.bandcamp.com/releases

14. OP
    OP
    elvis

15. OP
    OP
    elvis

Fitzi likes this.
  16. Boneman

Boneman Member

Dragon's Trap free on Twitch Prime this month.

Phido, Fitzi and elvis like this.
  17. Vanne

Vanne Member

Shit! , Haven't really caught on with this, played the original Sega Wonderboy to death, but only had a fleeting go in the arcades when Monster land was out. (It was gone from my local chicken shop after about 3 weeks) so pretty much a virgin at the games after the original Wonderboy.

Where do I kick off?

Start at Wonderboy 2: monster land?

18. OP
    OP
    elvis

Cracking game. C64 and SMS versions with playing for sure.

Then do Dragon's Trap after that (remake in this thread is a good way to do that), then Monster World IV on Genesis/MD (or any ports or re-releases), then Monster Boy.

You can skip the others if you like, although they are fun. Not integral to the story arc though.

19. bolex17

bolex17 Member

Keen on checking this one out! Been playing through Monster World IV on the Megadrive and really enjoying it!

Grant and elvis like this.
  20. Boneman

Boneman Member

Wonderboy in Monster World on MD/Gen is a classic too, I would probably play that between Dragon's Trap and Monster World IV.