Wonder Boy / Monster World / Monster Boy

Discussion in 'Retro & Arcade' started by elvis, Aug 15, 2016.

1. power

power Member

elvis likes this.
  2. OP
    OP
    elvis

elvis Old school old fool

That particular version is the arcade port. It's on one hand harder than the SMS port, but on the other hand the Sega Ages / Switch version gives you unlimited credits/continues, so it's also easier if you just want to brute force it.

And as always, the M2 version is better than just playing it in MAME, because they hack cool stuff in (some of that is covered in the linked review).

Worth playing either way.

3. power

power Member

it's also fantastic to have it in portable mode, but that kind of goes without saying.

elvis likes this.
  4. spoon69

spoon69 Formula 1 Reporter

5. intransigent

intransigent Member

forgive me for not reading the 11 page long post so far; but the game strikes me as moving away from the simple enjoyable adventure platformer it was towards a kind of mega-man esque key-lock superhero game by the look of it.
    If it was a link like game I would have bought, but as this mishmashed hero puzzle game i'm just not interested.
    I would be interested in your view if you believe that summary to be ill-conceived and unrepresentative of the game.

6. hippyhippy

hippyhippy Member

So it's the arcade port? Not the sms port?

When I was a kid.. I had a sms but I didn't have many games and that was 1 I had.. must have finished it 10000 times... kids these days don't know what it's like to have a few games only and have to play the same thing over and over.

7. OP
    OP
    elvis

The Switch version is, yes. However

(a) The hardware was almost identical between arcade and SMS

(b) both versions of the game are also very similar, and worth playing.

Good comparison here:
    http://www.hardcoregaming101.net/wonder-boy-in-monster-land/

Last edited: Aug 7, 2019
  8. hippyhippy

hippyhippy Member

When I saw the game in the arcade I used to remember thinking it was a very different game.. arcade seemed faster and much harder

9. OP
    OP
    elvis

The HG101 article goes through the differences in detail.

The sprite work is a little larger and more colourful on the arcade version, and the physics slightly different (faster, as you mention). There's also a border around the game with all your status elements, weapons, etc that is changed for the better on the SMS version.

The SMS version has limited continues, which was a common thing to do on console releases at the time to artificially increase the challenge and make the game feel like it had more play time (rather than players brute forcing their way through without the need to feed coins).

Porting games back then typically involved re-writing games from scratch, and using the "theme" of the original title as your guide. Code wasn't portable, even on similar main CPUs due to other chips being different, and often developers didn't have access to source code anyway. This game wasn't too bad as far as arcade-to-home downscale went, but yeah, still slightly different.

Last edited: Aug 9, 2019
    Fitzi and hippyhippy like this.
  10. OP
    OP
    elvis

darkmenace likes this.
  11. darkmenace

darkmenace Member

As a Wonderboy fan (all the master system games) from childhood, I’m happy to say the current version from dotemu was a brilliant remake. Just bought and completed it on ps4 recently.

elvis likes this.
  12. OP
    OP
    elvis

Last edited: Mar 29, 2020
  13. greencamel65

greencamel65 Member

Grant, power and elvis like this.
  14. nimmers

nimmers Member

I recently got a PC Engine and this game. What is the general consensus on the original game? Better on Master System or PCE?

15. OP
    OP
    elvis

[edited for clarity]

I've only played the PCE version on Wii Virtual Console, although I did that to completion. Played the SMS version extensively on real hardware.

Given all the usual emulation negatives and that I was playing the PCE/WiiVC/emulated version on an LCD at the time, it was great. I've heard around the traps that the PCE version has a slightly different input window which annoyed some fans of the SMS version, but I myself didn't notice it (again, playing on (a) an emulator and (b) many years later).

I've also read that the PCE version uses the exact same sprites and animation timing, however the actual game engine runs at 60FPS (versus the SMS version's 30FPS). That could also explain the input window differences.

And then finally, you've got the Japanese Mark III version which has an FM soundtrack, which many people prefer (although I'm nostalgically connected to the SMS PSG sound track).

All up, they're really bloody close, engine wise. There's obvious graphical and sound differences, and the PCE version has a proper save system (not a password system). But they're all cosmetic, and the engine itself is nearly identical, even despite the 30/60FPS differences.

Last edited: Aug 25, 2020
    nimmers likes this.
  16. Daft_Munt

Daft_Munt Member

Heathen, for not playing it on a master system (I suspect you have after seeing your games room, else PM me your address and I will send you a cart, assuming you have a working SMS).

17. OP
    OP
    elvis

Oh, sorry, reading back over that I wasn't clear.

Owned the SMS version back in the day, played it many times to completion on real hardware. Only played the PCE version on Wii VC. Edited the post to make it clearer.

Actually pretty sure I have about 2 full box sets and another 3 loose carts of the SMS version currently.

Last edited: Aug 25, 2020
  18. Daft_Munt

Daft_Munt Member

All good. I have consider WB3 on the SMS as one of the best games, ever. I only played the SMS version (and emulators). Crawls into a whole. I also have a few lose carts of WB3.

19. OP
    OP
    elvis

Ditto. Certainly my favourite 8 bit game (sorry, not sorry, Mario and Sonic).

Daft_Munt likes this.
  20. Daft_Munt

Daft_Munt Member

Reminds me to get my game gears sorted. Adds to the pile of shame...