Woolies disk sale.

Discussion in 'Retro & Arcade' started by Reaper, Oct 18, 2010.

1. Reaper

Reaper Member

Ok, got a couple of them today, but woolies (at least my local), is throwing out tdk 1.44mb 10pack floppies for $2.40 a box. That's 24cents each disk. It was like 3-4 $ off.

2. mAJORD

mAJORD Member

argh! I just bought a 10pack of Verbatim from Woolworths North lakes earlier today for I think 3.99 (also on special )

Which woolies was this?

3. OP
    OP
    Reaper

Reaper Member

Petrie dude. Told ya you don't live far from me. :) Would have been about 10 more boxes left or so.

EDIT: DUH, I think they were verbatim actually. My bad on the brand.

4. flain

flain Member

Hmm do they even work properly anymore? I remember how badly floppies would degrade (read errors and bad sectors after a few years). Or maybe my floppy drives were just dying i donno, but even for the retroness i can't see a reason why you would want to buy new ones? :p

I remember my lightbulb moment in the 90s when rex nebula and the cosmic gender bender (which was 10 floppies) cost $9, yet a new set of 10 blank floppies was still $25 :p.

5. mAJORD

mAJORD Member

That is close :) .. i could have saved myself a few if I'd waited 1 day.

They work fine if your drives are new, clean, don't have any alignment issues and you keep them away from dust and damp! in other words, yeah they're horribly fragile for 'rough' day to day use, but fine for what I use them for

My 386 will not have a CDROM, that leaves networking which I will setup eventually (my 286 is now on the network, but without any form of filesharing at the moment, just use it for IRC) , but in the meantime, I use 3.5"s to get stuff to it :) which is fine with me.

The XT needs 360K floppies :tongue:

But yeah, I too remember back in the day.. copying stuff off a mates PC, then riding home to find the data unreadable.. was probably his drive.

6. alvarez

alvarez Member

Wow I havent seen floppies in any store for years,

I got a few dozen boxes from uni last semester, still in plastic wrap and all.

7. ThunderbirdMoz

ThunderbirdMoz Member

I remember buying the old 720s and getting my dads makita out to convert them to 1.44s

8. Asteroid

Asteroid Member

I had a large box of floppies of one particular brand that all without fail died. However decent Verbatims always seemed to last well.

9. OP
    OP
    Reaper

Reaper Member

They're still around, got two more yesterday for the hell of it. :)

I have a failed floppy controller, the one on my am2+ gigabyte motherboard. :( Thought it was the drive, nope, worked perfect in my 486. Actual onboard controller is dead.

It was a good one too, let me actually select 5.25 inch floppy drives too. :upset: Pretty damn unusual for a modern board to allow 360/1.2/720/1.44 drives.

10. mAJORD

mAJORD Member

hmm what's the symptoms? and what O/S?

The SB700 (not sure about 600) floppy controller has known issues in Win 7 , which shits me no end.

11. OP
    OP
    Reaper

Reaper Member

Symptoms are as though it's bad sectors, or the head is unaligned. But it's definitly not the drive as I actually removed it and tried it in the 486, worked perfectly, even with the same disks that were "having trouble" in this modern machine.

Chipset sb750, win7. Still a shame because gigabyte actually gave me all of those options, unlike asus which only gives one, 1.44mb.

12. mAJORD

mAJORD Member

sounds like the same issue I have..

I can (sometimes) format and even copy files on this machine, but if I re-insert the disk, it comes up as 'unrecognisable filesystem'

After reading many other similar problems with this chipset and Win7 , I now use my XP box for all floppy duties, (Still using SB700/750)

Your'e right though, it's great the chipset allows all options (I'm using gigabyte boards too) but forget using it in Win7 i'm afraid!

13. OP
    OP
    Reaper

Reaper Member

Interesting. So it's the os. I'll have to see about dvd booting my copy of xp. :) Or even a linux I guess should work too.

14. OP
    OP
    Reaper

Reaper Member

Yup, it's the controller.

Xp mode = "no floppy in drive"
    Ubuntu try it feature (pita shit) = "no floppy in drive".

Yes there were floppie(s) in the drive. :)

I even downgraded the bios to f9, still no.

15. cdtoaster

cdtoaster Member

hmm the problems are interesting actually, i might need to give my drive another go. i bought one new last year or so because i figured theyd stop selling them but the drive ended up having the same problems (after working initially) mentioned above except its a asus am2 mobo

16. mAJORD

mAJORD Member

sounds odd, but make sure HPET is turned off (will be in power options), try also CnQ and C states off.

17. OP
    OP
    Reaper

Reaper Member

Got around to it this morning, holy crap! That's the fix! :)

As soon as I disabled hpet, and just hpet, it's now working just fine. Floppies (the disks), are even working between machines.

18. mAJORD

mAJORD Member

great news :) , I never had complete success with HPET off in win7 64bit, but was an improvement. No probs in XP though.

19. James086

James086 Member

Haha, these are about 60 times the price per GB of a SSD. Of course it's for a totally different reason but amusing nonetheless.

20. mAJORD

mAJORD Member

heh, true

Their price / retro-awesomeness destroys an SSD though