Wordpress developers / designers - advice

Discussion in 'Programming & Software Development' started by dinkleton, Aug 29, 2018.

1. dinkleton

dinkleton Member

Hi all,

I'm not sure whether to put this here or in Graphic Design forum, but I hope you can help.

I've designed website flats for some clients in the past and handed them over for development, so I've never had to deal with the development / Wordpress / CMS side at all. However, I have this particular not-for-profit client who just wants some minor design updates done (they have an existing basic wordpress site - awr.org.au, but doesn't have the funds for a developer. I am certain that with a bit of time from me that I can do this for him. I would like to tackle this as more of an educational project for me.

My coding experience is minimal, I know my way around HTML/CSS and have just scratched the surface with JS, but I've never touched PHP so wordpress scares me.

I'm wondering if I pay for a good page builder plugin like Elementor or Divi, and use this to update this customers website? Has anyone had any experience with these page builders? Will they get the job done?

On topic of updating his website, what is the general process for a simple site like this. He has a login currently. Do I just login to his environment, make a child theme, make modifications and then publish the child theme? Or do I migrate his website to my own account, make changes, migrate back?

I would love a high level overview of how client work is done in Wordpress...

2. neRok

neRok Member

What changes are you making? If it's just visual changes, I presume you could clone the theme, make your css tweaks, and then install/use the new theme.

3. GumbyNoTalent

GumbyNoTalent Member

Without knowing hoe complex your design is and what you are trying to achieve is hard to comment, so here is some advice. Wordpress has a theming engine as you already know, if you google you will find that there are many "parent" theming systems that you can employ and extend that will require no more knowledge then that of a graphic designer / CSS stuff.

4. OP
    OP
    dinkleton

dinkleton Member

Visual changes, as well as adding a new case studies page where he can upload video interviews + write articles a few times a month.

Thanks Gumby, I understand that I can simply install a new theme and extend it from there, I guess my question is more what is the correct process for this, especially if I'm going with an entirely new theme + page builder. I've spent a fair bit of time learning my way around Elementor on my local WP environment and it can do some pretty good stuff for a visual tool, but still allows you to make custom code edits. I'm just not sure on 'best practice' for implementing this into my customer's environment... I could be over complicating it, but I don't want to go about this the wrong way.

5. GumbyNoTalent

GumbyNoTalent Member

Take your theme when complete and test it against vanilla wordpress install if it still function then bingo, theme is correct. Then add site plug-ins one at a time between tests, if you get to a site equivalent as customer without issue then your theme will be awesome. One last test is to add additional popular plug-ins and check desired result just in case they add to the site later.

WHY? Wordpress theme engine should always work regardless of the plug-ins.

Last edited: Aug 29, 2018
  6. damn duck

damn duck Member

Stick to WordPress. It's glorified click and drag and basic settings to edit. Don't use a program to export html, they're all rubbish. Adobe used to have Muse, which they discontinued after I used it for a bit and gave up on.

WordPress is awesome. Use photoshop to edit photos to fit with the WordPress theme you like, and you can then tweak that one theme for all your clients.

Just had a look at their website and it sucks. Just do a quick remake of it for them. Ask them for $150 for your time, don't let a charity guilt you into free work.

Last edited: Aug 29, 2018
  7. philquad

philquad Member

i cant design for shit but ive done a lot of wordpress
    mainly installs, updates, themes etc
    i hated page builders to start
    but they have a purpose (straight lines)
    i have a massive theme pack with page builder you can have
    upload it, pick from 100 child themes
    just pm me, glad to help out