Wordpress login details

Discussion in 'Business & Enterprise Computing' started by SpaceFrog, Jan 4, 2019.

1. SpaceFrog

SpaceFrog Member

Hi Guys,

my new boss doesn't have the login details for wordpress websites that his previous employee(s) setup for his clients.

He told me he would try and track down the details for me, but it's been a copule of months and he hasn't found them, and his clients need the site(s) updated.

I had a quick look at resetting the login. I believe we need FTP access or the email account that it was set up with.

If we can't recover the details, what are the options? find out where it's hosted and gain ftp access?

2. Rubberband

Rubberband Member

You need the email address or FTP.

You can also change via the MSSQL DB.

3. PabloEscobar

PabloEscobar Member

Don't do this...

but...

If its an old version, there may be exploits available that give you admin access :).

elvis and bcann like this.
  4. bcann

bcann Member

Fuck it ... YOLO, and besides with shodan its likely already owned by someone else anyway.

5. GumbyNoTalent

GumbyNoTalent Member

post on Russian forum with bitcoin reward to first person to own site, then get details of them. ;)

6. PunX0r

PunX0r Member

Easiest way would be to get the CPanel details of the host, this will then allow you to log in to the hosting panel, access mySQL and perform a password reset directly via the database.

If you get stuck, shoot me a PM and see if I can help further.

7. ni9ht_5ta1k3r

ni9ht_5ta1k3r Member

that's how i'd do it but i can't remember what encryption is used to hash the password. would leaving it blank force a reset?

8. mr camouflage

mr camouflage Member

if you can get to the database, you can change the email address and do a password reset via wordpress.

9. PunX0r

PunX0r Member

Its stored in MD5. This is the command you run, replacing 'new_password' and "admin_username" with he correct values.

UPDATE `wp_users` SET `user_pass` = MD5( 'new_password' ) WHERE `wp_users`.`user_login` = "admin_username";

10. ni9ht_5ta1k3r

ni9ht_5ta1k3r Member

hmm....i thought it was using SHA for encryption. oh well.

11. Daemon

Daemon Member

There haven't been many exploits for the core versions, 99% of the issues are with the plugins. If it had a plugin which was exploitable, the chances are it's already been done by someone else and it'd be suspended.

It's MD5 and while that sounds scary, it's salted and with 8 passes with the ability to change the hashing for those without MFA / extreme paranoia.

Easiest Way
    WordPress has a password reset system... when you go to login you click on the "Lost Password" link, if you have a login associated with an email address for your boss / work then it's all complete.

Otherwise see this: https://codex.wordpress.org/Resetting_Your_Password

12. mr camouflage

mr camouflage Member

I have read that Wordpress has a security <del>flaw</del> feature where by if you change the password in the database to md5(anypassword*), and then log in, it will allow you to login with the md5'd password and then re-encrypt the password to its stronger version (depending on what you have set up the encryption to be) and save it to the database.

But the easiest way, as I mentioned before, is to change the email address to one you have access to and use the password reset/forgot password feature built in to wordpress. Then you don't need to know/care what encryption it is using.

* where "anypassword" is a password of your choosing.