Working From Home

Discussion in 'Networking, Telephony & Internet' started by BennyBoi, Aug 20, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BennyBoi

BennyBoi (Banned or Deleted)

Hi Guys,

We have a couple of people that want to start working from home.

We have them all set up with email/domain access etc but management posses the question "how do we know they are at their computer and not dead on the floor of a heart attack". this is a genuine OHS issue that needs to be resolved.

is there any solution that can monitor user activity throughout the working day that would cover this?

Also what sort of telephony solutions are available to offsite users where we can transfer a call from the office phone system?

Is skype a genuine option these days?

cheers

2. roger895

roger895 Member

Do you have Lync or something similar setup?

It can monitor PC activity and automatically change the users status based on a pre-defined time period.

Might be useful?

3. MrvNDMrtN

MrvNDMrtN Member

Too easy.

Ankle bracelet gps and CCTV around house.

4. Hive

Hive Member

Not to be a dick here, but seriously?

What next, hard hats and glasses required to work in an office?

And what happens when someone does seem to be "away" does an ambulance get rushed to their house?

Now that that's out of the way, the only real way of getting it done would be some kind of activity monitor on the PC. Failing that, maybe a 12 lead ECG that the user wears.

5. influx

influx Member

Yes seriously. If you want to work from home you also need an osh assessment done of your house as it is considered part of the employers duty of care.

6. OP
    OP
    BennyBoi

Dont have lync but i'll look into that now.

cheers

7. th3_hawk

th3_hawk Member

I do one day a week from home and from an employees point of view it's awesome. I cut about 3 hours travel out of my day and feel like I'm more productive when I'm out of the noisy office.

For safety I have a fire extinguisher and a first aid kit, but being alone there is always the chance that I have fallen down something or died because a plane landed on my house... So how do they know? Assuming you have followed your OHS procedures for inspections/equipment etc and short of having the employee ring in periodically or send an email to sign in and out for the day it is one of those risks you have to accept.

Long story short, just because there is a risk doesn't mean it's not an acceptable risk.

8. newgen

newgen Member

Retina verification using the webcam. :p

9. s3kemo

s3kemo Member

Depends on your phone system. Plenty of options, including:
    - if you have a SIP-capable PBX you can use Lync or similar, including proprietary offerings from the PBX manufacturer (e.g. jabber if you run Cisco UCM... which personal opinion is sweeeeeeet)
    - if you don't have ability to run voip calls to the workers (e.g. shitty VPN links from homes, or thin clients that won't let it happen anyway) but have money to blow on PSTN calls then something like Telecommuter mode (that's Avaya terminology there) on their soft client
    - smartphones with secure voip clients connected over 3g/home wifi-then-home-internet is another option i suppose if windows/mac clients aren't an option

Can you make any assumptions on the connectivity at home the users have? e.g. DSL with 5mbps+ downstream, 768kbps+ upstream? The reason I ask is I've worked with customers whose employees work from home with 128k ISDN and a thin client, so opted for non-VoIP solutions, so I can't make assumptions :)

10. Davo1111

Davo1111 Member

I'm pretty sure you can get those monitors old people have that hooks to the phone line. If it's still for a certain period of time, or they press the panic button, it dials out.

11. Brianf1971

Brianf1971 Member

As someone who works from home 90% the time this above is the real requirement from an employer legal obligation, if you wanting to check an employee is actually being productive and working that is a different matter and is not part of OH&S.

Brian

12. Creekin

Creekin (Taking a Break)

:lol: no it aint.
    +1 this :thumbup:

manglement dont care if random j employee is dead! :lol:
    all they care about is if they are doing what they are being paid to do and not watching days of our lives......

my ex worked from home for a big multinational corp..and they sent an OH&S gumby out regularly to check the place out and he would always say something retarded about trip hazards or paper cuts... :rolleyes:

any tech solution to ops problem would probably be viewed as "invasive"
    just do what law firms do and get employees to log what they've done
    EVERY 6 MINUTES!!!! :wired:

13. Gibbon

Gibbon grumpy old man

I agree. I work from home every second week. My employer is a large multinational mining company (I suspect it would be difficult to find many other companies with a stronger safety focus), and thankfully they have no desire to check on me all day every day. I couldn't think of anything worse.

Sounds like a trust issue to me.

We do use Microsoft Office Communicator (company wide), which can indicate when someone is "away", but it's not used as a monitoring tool. I normally turn it off, because it seems to be a bit flakey through our VPN and the notifications get a bit annoying :)

If a company did want to monitor activity, who's going to monitor it, and how do you tell the difference between "dead on the floor of a heartattack" and making lunch, using the toilet, etc?

Last edited: Aug 20, 2012
  14. FiShy

FiShy Member

I work at home alteast once a week and sometimes do it in bed, no one has ever ask or cared about OHS.

15. Creekin

Creekin (Taking a Break)

your boss just doesnt love you as much as ops :upset:

16. caspian

caspian Member

all I had to do was fill out a simple form stating the usual - yes, the environment is properly set up, no there are no hazards, no there are no building wardens because it's a residential house etc.

the only time my employer requires an onsite assessment is if the majority of the employee's work is done from home.

17. Gibbon

Gibbon grumpy old man

I had an onsite assessment (4 years ago, when I started this working arrangement) - mainly ergonomics-based, electrical tagging, hazard analysis etc. Same kind of things we look for in the office environment when we do workplace inspections. Not arduous.

18. maryusdemetry

maryusdemetry Member

You can use freshbook(controls the time spent working)
    and TeamViewer to monitor the activity of computer

19. OP
    OP
    BennyBoi

Yeah I've been using Team Viewer for a few months now for personal use and I don't know why I didn't think of this.

Skype in conjunction with TeamViewer will keep management happy and be cost effective.

Cheers

20. Heywood

Heywood Member

As remote working is a lot more common now a days, employees probably also need to view orientation videos to assist in the transition from office to home

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.