Worklog: 800D White, Black and Red

Discussion in 'Modding Worklogs' started by Scarecrow23, Feb 17, 2012.

1. Scarecrow23

Scarecrow23 Member

Hi

Welcome to my second worklog. The first was a TJ08-E and can be found on these forums.

I am still extremely new to this but this time will be posting as I construct, rather than a full build at the end.

I am currently running a Rampage 4 with 3930X and GTX 590. It is in a TJ11 and I was keen to attempt a build in this case, but felt I would first try an 800D as there seemed to be less modding required. Plus, given what an amazing case the TJ11 is, I wanted some more experience under my belt for touching that bad boy.

This is the plan:

Click to view full size!

I had originally planned to WC the RAM and Mobo as well but I decided against spending another few hundred of dollars for aesthetics.

I had thought of a green build but for some reason I decided to change to mostly white, with red and black highlights, probably due to the colour of my mobo.

Anyway, here is some of the gear that is going into it. Still waiting on the reservoirs and some sleeving from MDPC.

Click to view full size!

Click to view full size!

Everyone knows what an 800D looks like but just in case:

Click to view full size!

More to come soon.

2. OP
    OP
    Scarecrow23

Scarecrow23 Member

Ok getting started. I have decided to use a white 3m Di-Noc carbon fibre film for the 2 side panels and a couple of accents:

Click to view full size!

The top is covering the front panel and then the middle 5.25 bay is also covered. The top 2 x 5.25 bays will be my reservoir, then the carbon fibre one, then the blu-ray drive, then the fan/temp controller.

I have something fancy in mind for the cover of the hot-swap HDD bays.

Click to view full size!

Just some simple accents.

Click to view full size!

Getting ready for the side panels. I was actually really nervous about this as I haven't worked with any 'wrap' since textbooks in high school, and well, if leftover in my house need glad-wrapping, it's up to the missus as I am completely useless.

Click to view full size!

Click to view full size!

This stuff was fantastically easy to work with. Air bubbles were very easy to get rid of due to the channeled/rippled nature of the film.

Click to view full size!

Click to view full size!

Click to view full size!

Click to view full size!

Really happy with things so far and just waiting on more pieces to arrive to start the next phase.

3. 3th4n

3th4n Member

The arrow linking the top of the 25cm res to the top mcp 350.... I'm not 100% sure but if you want to suck water out of the top of a res then you will need some sort of tube to reach down into the water.

Seems like potential for a problem IMO.

4. Spyfox

Spyfox Member

nice hardware:thumbup:

no real need for dual pump and dual res
    would have been better off with a single d5+res combo

5. OP
    OP
    Scarecrow23

Scarecrow23 Member

I will look into the cylinder res issue, may change the flow direction as that seems to be the easiest solution. I do wonder if it will be an issue though, as the cylinder res will really just function like a larger tube.

The second pump and res are mainly for aesthetics. The areas they are both located in would have been quite bare and I'm hoping adding this hardware will make more of a visual impact.

6. Palthe

Palthe New Member

The film makes it look pretty slick! Looking forward to see what you're doing with the HDD bays, I'm poised to steal ideas ;)

7. OP
    OP
    Scarecrow23

Scarecrow23 Member

Not much new has happened in the last week, have just been waiting on orders to arrive before I can continue.

Have worked a little with the carbon fibre film and done some basic accents. Admittedly they don't look perfect but overall I'm pretty happy with the result.

Also began an annoying search to find appropriate washers for the passthroughs (as the holes are too big) but was able to find some at an automotive store. Have spray painted them and the washers black to match the theme.

Hopefully the sleeving and other items I am waiting on will arrive in the next week or so as I want to get moving on this project.

Click to view full size!

Click to view full size!

Click to view full size!

Click to view full size!

Click to view full size!

(Top 2 for the graphics card so didn't bother covering)

8. FatYak

FatYak Member

A very neat job, I like the two-tone thing. Where did you find the film? It looks fantastic in that close up...

9. cbwolf

cbwolf Member

Very neat.

On a completely different topic, who's your avatar of? :D :thumbup:

10. OP
    OP
    Scarecrow23

Scarecrow23 Member

Film came from a US shop called Metrorestyling. They seem to have basically every variation of vinyl film you could imagine.

11. FatYak

FatYak Member

Wow, they really do have everything :shock: Not cheap though... you'd hate to mess it up and lose a big peice.

12. brayway

brayway Member

looks very nice :)
    Reminds me of the Fractal Cases with the two tone :weirdo::thumbup:

13. OP
    OP
    Scarecrow23

Scarecrow23 Member

Been waiting patiently for some more parts to arrive so messed around with a few bits.

Click to view full size!

The fan controller / temperature / flow rate monitor.

And now with the black faceplate to match the build. (apologies about the glare in the pic)

Click to view full size!

Flow rate monitor and water temp monitor. These will be going in the very bottom drive bay (at the front of the case).

Click to view full size!

And FINALLY, my package arrived this morning.

Click to view full size!

Click to view full size!

Sleeving and cable management from MDPC. Thanks Nils.

See you in a couple of days with some very sore hands I imagine.

14. Creekin

Creekin (Taking a Break)

looking good
    but if u got the male to female temp sensor u could just install it inline, instead of needing a pair of comps
    http://www.thekoolroom.com/product/ac-temp-sensor-inner-outer-g1-4/

Click to view full size!

edit: just noticed the dual pump/res and ur route diagram...
    NO! just NO!!!!!! :rolleyes:
    the pump under the gpu will be sucking air, and that cyl res wont work.

either dump the bayres, and put the pump under the cyl res and reverse the flow
    or dump the cyl and 2nd pump :thumbup:

Last edited: Feb 29, 2012
  15. OP
    OP
    Scarecrow23

Scarecrow23 Member

Can you please explain to me why?

I may be 100% wrong on this so let me know if so, but my understanding is as follows:

The cylinder res is essentially just a widening of the tubing. As such, it will be 100% full of liquid and will simply serve as a section of wider tubing, not as a 'res'. (it is there purely for aesthetics)

The loop will be filled from the bay reservoir and the only air in the system will be at the top of that bay reservoir. Hopefully, with proper bleeding, this air will be removed and the loop will be near to 100% liquid.

I am not sure where the air that the pump (under GPU) will be sucking will come from.

As I have stated previously, I am very new to this but this is just my basic understanding of how it will work.

16. Creekin

Creekin (Taking a Break)

the idea has been discussed in a few threads before, i agree it would look cool
    but its near impossible to completely bleed a loop
    there will be small bubbles working their way out of the rads for days
    and new ones being created by the pump turbulence
    they will build up in the res and then pop through when it builds up enough
    sending a big air bubble into the pump

it will just end up being an air trap

the pump under the gpu will also get alot of air bubbles coming out of the block
    and wont have any water till the loop is full, and until then will just be a restriction for the 1st pump, so not sure how u would prime it.

1 pump and res is more than enough for that loop.
    come over to EC and have a read :)
    http://forums.overclockers.com.au/forumdisplay.php?f=24

edit:
    ps. i like wot u did with the TJ :thumbup:

Last edited: Feb 29, 2012
  17. Chardiieee

Chardiieee Member

Wow yeah... that loop needs to go the other way entirely, so I say dump the BayRes.
    Golden rule of watercooling is that you place a res right before a pump in a loop so it always has liquid and NEVER air.
    Plus having dual res's and pumps really isnt necessary at all. 1 pump will be useless, and I think youll find that having two res's will induce fluctuating balance between the levels, where you need to take off the caps to equalize the pressure and its a royal mess. At least, this is what I had happen when I last had 2 res's and I couldnt bear it more than a day before rebuilding the entire loop again minus 1 res.

18. D_W_Y

D_W_Y Member

why do people always seem possessed that they need more than one pump pushing water around their system? your hardly going to be building up any sort of static pressure in the loop given most people seem to run their res half empty. also running a pump at the lowest point of gravity is pretty dumb if you ask me lol, the idea is to let gravity help you eh.

/studies fluid mechanics

19. OP
    OP
    Scarecrow23

Scarecrow23 Member

sheesh

where were you blokes weeks ago when I put up the initial design and before I had ordered everything.

Thanks for the advice I do appreciate it, never really claimed to know what I was doing so any help is great.

I put 2 pumps in as I have been told that one would not be enough for a loop of this size.

Does anyone have any suggestions as to what I should do in terms of redesign. Kind of tempted to just abandon this and redo it in my TJ11.

In terms of redesign my best/only thought would be to abandon the bay res (or just leave it there but not actually connected so it looks pretty) and attach a 655 pump to the bottom of the cyl res. Then reverse the flow of the loop.

Would the above idea work? Could I still have the attachment flowing IN to the reservoir at the top?

20. OP
    OP
    Scarecrow23

Scarecrow23 Member

Here is one redesign option I have considered:

Click to view full size!

And another:

Click to view full size!

I believe the advantage/disadvantage of Option 1 is that the pump will slightly block the airflow of the bottom radiator fans. This will cool the pump though? Also, it will be more difficult to mount.

Option 2, the pump is tucked away underneath but it will have tubing between the reservoir and pump. I assume this is ok?

Can you please comment on which would be a better choice.

Also, I have switched to a MCP 655 as I am not convinced that the MCP 350 will have enough power for this loop. Is that wrong?