Worklog: 8MadDog8's DIY Gas Turbine

Discussion in 'Other Toys/Hobbies' started by 8MadDog8, Aug 3, 2012.

1. 8MadDog8

8MadDog8 Member

Hey All

So i have been wanting to make one of these for years now, so i thought i may as well get around to it :p

If anyone is interested, there is a ton of info here:
    http://tech.groups.yahoo.com/group/DIYGasTurbines/
    and
    http://jetandturbineowners.proboards.com/index.cgi

With a bit of a diagram of the setup:
    [​IMG]

I started this about a month or something ago, and here is where i am up to so far after just working on it a couple of nights each week.

Managed to find a turbo from a guy at work. Nothing special, an old Schweitzer turbo that was originally off a Ford 7000 tractor. Fairly small as it has a 40.6mm compressor inducer, but it will do the job.
    [​IMG]

Pulled it all apart and gave it a good clean. Cant feel any movement in the bearing, so fingers crossed. Just hoping the oil seals will be in good nick, but the guy i got it off said it was running fine when it was taken off the tractor a few years ago.
    [​IMG]

The turbo didnt come with and flanges for the oil inlet/outlet, so just used some MS plate lying around.
    [​IMG]

Next was the flange for the turbine inlet. Just made from the same MS plate. Had to borrow a neighbors oxy to blow the center part out, and then cleaned it up with the die grinder.
    [​IMG]

Finished flanges. Do like the brushed steel look :p
    Still need to tap the oil inlet/outlet, but will wait until i buy the fittings.
    [​IMG]

Nice bit of 150NB offcut from work ;)
    [​IMG]

And this 2" 90deg bend will serve as the inlet to the combustion chamber.
    [​IMG]

Grabbed this fire extinguisher to act as the oil reservoir. Its a little big, but will be fine. Also should keep the oil at an ok temperature without needing a cooler.
    [​IMG]

Come up pretty good with the paint removed :thumbup:
    [​IMG]

Took a bit of work to get the combustion chamber outlet to merge with the turbine inlet flange, but nothing an oxy and a 1.5lb hammer cant fix :lol:
    Actually come up better that i hoped. :)
    [​IMG]

Its pretty handy having access to a profile cutter at work :thumbup:
    [​IMG]

Mock up of the combustion chamber. Have flanges at both top and bottom so i can split it at either end if needed.
    [​IMG]

Hole marking for all 4 flanges. 8 M12's each end should be more than enough :p
    [​IMG]

Glad i had a nice sharp bit and was only drilling MS :thumbup:
    [​IMG]

Combustion chamber outlet tacked into position.
    [​IMG]

Whole combustion chamber tacked into position to make sure everything lines up correctly before its fully welded
    [​IMG]

And all bolted up, just to make sure :p
    [​IMG]

Mounted on the turbo. You might notice the size of the chamber is pretty big, thought about going smaller, but its easier to setup one that is bigger than trying to tune something smaller, and this would be good for a first time.
    Also, in the later photos, i cut around 2" off the chamber outlet, to make it a little smaller.
    [​IMG]

Oxy made light work of cutting out the chamber inlet :thumbup:
    [​IMG]

Combustion chamber inlet tacked into position. Used the die grinder to clean the hole up and make the pipe fit. Im so glad i wont need to use the die grinder anymore, im still picking burrs out of my skin.....:thumbdn:
    [​IMG]

Outlet welded up.
    [​IMG]

And combustion chamber fully welded.
    [​IMG]

Hmm 150NB pipe, 8mm plate, all fully welded, think it has a safety factor of 1000 haha
    But isn't the key to being an engineer to over engineer everything :lol:
    [​IMG]

Cut out a little ring and tacked it to the top plate, just top hold the flame tube in position.
    [​IMG]

Flametube (4" SS) marked up with hole pattern. 4mm for the primary, 6mm secondary, and 11mm for the tertiary.
    Basically the total hole area needs to equal the area of the compressor inducer.
    [​IMG]

Drilling 50+ holes was not the most enjoyable task of the project :p
    [​IMG]

Flametube done.
    [​IMG]

Sitting nicely in the top cover.
    [​IMG]

And hopefully this will work pretty good right from the get-go.
    [​IMG]

So there is still a fair bit to go, but the big jobs are out of the way.
    Just need to sort out the fuel system, oil system, ignition system, instrumentation, and build a frame (and probably a few other things haha).

Hope to get a couple of things done this weekend. Will update when i can.

Cheers

2. Gonadman2

Gonadman2 Member

Don't know much about these things but that looks awesome mate! You must be some kind of welder, or have access to a mig by the looks.

3. Lespom

Lespom Member

4. OP
    OP
    8MadDog8

8MadDog8 Member

Haha cheers mate, but im no boily and thats all just done with my trusty stick welder :p

Yeah seen that around before. Dont really have much use for it at the moment. I just like building things, and thought it would be good to see if i can make one of these :lol:
    Might get mounted on a go-cart if successful :leet:

5. OP
    OP
    8MadDog8

8MadDog8 Member

Just a small update.

Tonight i managed to make the gas nozzle that will be supplying fuel to the combustion chamber. Just a simple brass plug with the flats drilled out and a hole down the centre.
    Also, tapped a hole for the sparkplug.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

6. steveobhave

steveobhave Member

Dude that is EPIC! I'll be following this closely. It's also a brilliant example of fantastic hand skills - Awesome work MadDog

7. NanoDuke

NanoDuke Member

Words
    I have none.

Subbed :thumbup:

8. OP
    OP
    8MadDog8

8MadDog8 Member

So thought i would post a couple of pics of the parts ive been collecting over the last few weeks.

Oil, boost and pyro gauges.
    [​IMG]

This is the ignitor that i got from a like minded enthusiast in the US. Was easier paying 20 bux, then trying to make one myself haha
    This thing produces a bloody good spark :D
    [​IMG]

Just the gas hose, with a ball valve as a quick shutoff just in case :p
    [​IMG]

And oil pump and filter with all the fittings. Will give 60psi which should help the turbo survive :p
    [​IMG]

Bought a length of 30mm SHS, so i can make the frame. Hoping to get a bit done on the weekend :thumbup:

9. IMtech

IMtech (Banned or Deleted)

Epic! As a tinkerer too I had to get subbed! ;) :thumbup:

10. lostdude

lostdude Member

can you mount this to your bicycle? :lol:

11. Alby1976

Alby1976 Member

Will be interesting to see the outcome.
    You do have a spare fire extinguisher on hand right?

12. aloysius

aloysius Member

Looks awesome. Can't wait for video at end :D

13. OP
    OP
    8MadDog8

8MadDog8 Member

Yeah think i might get another one :p

Anyway, got a couple of things done on the weekend.

Boost and pyro sensor fittings welded on, as well as turbo oil inlet/outlet fittings
    [​IMG]

And fittings welded on the oil tank
    [​IMG]

14. silrod

silrod Member

This is so good. You are clearly a mentalist, but genius at the same time.

Subbed.

15. Reaper_1994

Reaper_1994 Member

Keen to see what it's used for. SUBBED!!! :thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

16. LostBenji

LostBenji Member

More holes and better spacing in the combustor can. Not enough airflow to the gas (fuel) mixing area.

The idea of the holes in the combustor can is to spread airflow but also to keep the flame off the walls. Flame on walls equals excessive heat soon followed by liquid metal blowing through the rather old and rough turbine.

Spiraling the airflow heaps reduce hot-spots.

This is basic and rude but may help.
    http://www.8051projects.net/jetengine/page2.php

Now look at this:
    http://www.maruwa-denki.co.jp/en-service03/index.html
    and see the large holes then take note of the smaller holes, these keep the flame off the walls.

http://www.enginehistory.org/G&jJBrossett/East Fortune/RR Derwent V cutaway view.JPG

http://www.enginehistory.org/G&jJBrossett/Coventry/RR Derwent 8 can.JPG

Keep the flame off the turbine wheel also or certain death will follow soon after.

Have fun.

17. Carcin0Genic

Carcin0Genic Member

Is it just me or are there no pics?? The layout of the text looks like there should be pics.....

18. abadonn

abadonn (Taking a Break)

I used to work on Gas Turbines. Ah... combustion cans... old memories. The idea being that the flame inside the can is encased in an outer layer of cooler air so it doesnt burn through the side. Cos if it burns through the can of an aircraft engine you get things like the Manchester tragedy http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/British_Airtours_Flight_28M. However I'm not sure whether you'll have quite the same degree of temperature inside that can due to lower compression ratios from the compressor area.

The 1st stage Nozzle Guide Vanes (NGVs) were the first bit of serious metal to be hit by the combustion flame and were the toughest part of the engine, they were used to direct air onto the 1st turbine stage. Essentially you couldnt make an engine run hotter than the NGVs could cope with, they were the limiting factor heat wise. In operational aircraft the EGT (Exhaust Gas Temperature) at the exit from the engine would increase over time as the turbine blades and NGVs slowly deteriorated. Once it got to a certain level the engine had to be overhauled regardless of its operational time. In this engine theres quite a bit of distance betwixt flame and turbine, less efficient I suspect but much thermally safer for the turbine.

ITs a great project. dont forget to video it when you start it up. I assume guys with home turbines have said the can will survive ok? Cos its prob not made of the same stuff engine cans/chambers are.

19. Shepete

Shepete Member

For turning fuel into noise, of course. You need no other reason.
    I have always had a hankering for "Pulse" jets. Never got around to building one though.
    Very, very nice work. I look forward to seeing the end result.

20. Davo1111

Davo1111 Member

you might have blocked tinypic?

yes there are pictures