Worklog: 8MadDog8's DIY Gas Turbine

Discussion in 'Other Toys/Hobbies' started by 8MadDog8, Aug 3, 2012.

1. BlueRaven

BlueRaven Member

What sort of boost/rpm do you reckon it'll be running at?

I didn't see any mention of a control system aside from the ignition box (CDI?), the gauges and the blank control panel... I understand the basic principle and how to start it well enough (leaf blowers seem popular :)), but i'm not sure how you control RPM or stop it overboosting and lunching itself once it's running. Does the ignition system provide some kind of variable spark frequency control, or is there some kind of fuel-choke system?

Will it be burning LPG or propane?

2. OP
    OP
    8MadDog8

8MadDog8 Member

Not sure on the boost, but i probably wont be taking it over 15psi or somewhere in that region. All depends on the temperatures.
    Max rpm for that size compressor wheel is around 120,000rpm, but i think i will be staying a fair bit lower than that :p

It is fed with LPG (standard bbq gas bottle) and you just regulate the amount of gas (valve on bottle) to regulate its speed/temperatures/etc.
    This ignitor is just for an initial spark to get the combustion going, once its self sustaining you just need to keep adding more fuel.

Last edited: Sep 6, 2012
  3. kombiman

kombiman Dis-Member

If it does blow up I hope it's when there is lots of mates, alcohol and video involved! Then an easy rebuild!

4. OP
    OP
    8MadDog8

8MadDog8 Member

Small update.

Finished the oil filter holder, and then started mounting everything (tank, pump, filter).

[​IMG]

(disregard the top hose on the tank, run out of length to make it to the turbo drain)

5. OP
    OP
    8MadDog8

8MadDog8 Member

About time for an update.

I have been on leave for the last few weeks, so havent been able to do as much as i wanted.

But still it has been all stripped apart and painted in heat-proof paint, and then re-assembled. All hoses and copper lines have been run, just hope there are no leaks when its pressurised.... A damper got added to hopefully smooth out any pulses due to the pump cutting in and out.

[​IMG]

With the control panel fitted.
    [​IMG]

Hope to get time on the weekend to fit the sensors/gauges and do most of the electrics. Then it will be nearly ready for a test run :D :S

6. OP
    OP
    8MadDog8

8MadDog8 Member

So i made some progress over the weekend and last night. Pretty much got all of the electrical side of things sorted.

[​IMG]

Was going to test it all last night but the battery ended up being flat :tongue:

Anyway, was on the charger last night so should get a crack at it tonight. Then just need to fill with oil and check for any leaks...... fingers crossed :Paranoid:

7. BlueRaven

BlueRaven Member

Awesome job mate, very tidy.

Can't wait to hear it spool up... :D

8. BigandY

BigandY Member

Did you test it???

9. OP
    OP
    8MadDog8

8MadDog8 Member

Yeah gave it a run tuesday night.... and found a pinhole oil leak in the accumulator... :thumbdn:
    So i pulled it out, ground out the hole and re-welded last night. Gave it another coat of paint so it will be dry for tonight when i hook it back in.
    All the other electronics (gauges and starter) worked fine. So should be able to give the oil system a proper test tonight to see if it gets to pressure and flows properly.

10. OP
    OP
    8MadDog8

8MadDog8 Member

So I got it all back together last night and tested the oil system. Seems to be working fine and no leaks :thumbup:
    Wasn’t able to start it because my little blower wasn’t able to spin it fast enough when the turbo had oil pressure. Gonna borrow a big one from a mate tonight and hopefully try and get it started :D

Pulled out the camera and took some photos of the finished product:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 2, 2012
  11. Cypher

Cypher Member

That looks fkn awesome mate, I am quite jealous! Have wanted to build something like this for a while now, though the image in my mind was something slapped together haphazardly, nothing like the fine workmanship you've produced.

Regards to starting it, I've seen videos of people using a air gun from a compressor angled into the intake so it spins up the blades, maybe an option? One guy eventually permanently installed a small copper pipe connected to a valve on his control panel to start it up.

edit: I've seen them also using needle valves for fine-control of the gas, might be something else to put on your control panel?

Last edited: Nov 2, 2012
  12. OP
    OP
    8MadDog8

8MadDog8 Member

WooHoo got this thing started on Friday avo :D
    Took a couple of goes, but once i got the process sorted it was easy :thumbup:

Just started it using an electric leaf blower, which works pretty well to keep it going before its self sustaining.

Might have to look at doing a couple of modifications to the flame tube as it was running a little hot (high TOT).

And i have thought about a needle valve for the fuel, because the valve on the bottle is a little touchy :p

Will be taking a vid of the thing in action in the next couple of days :leet:

13. BigandY

BigandY Member

Any chance of RIGHT NOW!!!! :leet:

14. Rass

Rass Member

I am excited to see it in action! You've done a great job and made it look really easy. If I had the parts and the space, I'd give it a shot :)

15. Guts

Guts Member

Keen for a video of your efforts :thumbup:

16. Westerntribal

Westerntribal Member

Well done, can't wait to see the video.

17. OP
    OP
    8MadDog8

8MadDog8 Member

So i finally got around to recording a couple of videos on the weekend :D

First one is just a standard run:

This is running at around 50,000-60,000rpm at 500-600degC ToT and around 5psi P2

And second video was just a little fun at night.

Not the best thing for it, but looks cool :p

Cheers

18. Hom3br3w

Hom3br3w Member

11/10 Sir.
    That is brilliant!

19. Shepete

Shepete Member

Good work. Mate.
    Does it produce any appreciable thrust?

20. kombiman

kombiman Dis-Member