Worklog - Air-Stream Wireless 13m Mast

Discussion in 'Modding Worklogs' started by Laggy7, Dec 18, 2013.

1. LINUX

LINUX Member

Amateurs have an allocation of 2.4GHz to 2.45GHz which the LCD states we can use with any emission mode with no bandwidth restriction (Schedule 2, Part 1 on page 26). Wifi channels 1-6 fall completely within this amateur allocation and I am claiming that the above quoted power restrictions apply in place of the wifi class license.

According to the WIA band plan data the allocation is on a secondary basis, I *think* that the primary allocation is for ISM use, either way an amateur using this spectrum (whether for wifi or something more mainstream like SSB) can't cause interference to existing wifi installations, so it would be very difficult to use more than 4W ERP anyway. But I see no evidence that the LCD limits power as claimed above.

Edit: Probably also worth noting that when using higher power under an amateur license nothing can be encrypted, (only use WEP </sarcasm>) so you wouldn't, say, be able to use SSH over such a wifi link, or HTTPS etc.

Last edited: Jan 31, 2014
  2. Blinky

Blinky Member

Outdoor SFTP isn't expensive at under $1 per meter.

3. OP
    OP
    Laggy7

Laggy7 Member

indeed it was done earlier, as at the time we were using mirotik radio's instead of the all-in-one devices we use now; the LMR400 was simply all i could get from the CB radio shack LMR240 would of been too lossy. I mounted the radio's at the bottom of the mast to try different gear/cards on the links the LMR was just over $10 a metre!

i simply hate coax now; its just a mess with so many variables where the signal can be lost.

@ $1 a meter thats:
    8x 28m runs $224 bucks, similar to ubnt toughcable (which is what i would of liked to use) at $140 a box its alot of coin to add in once you've done everything else.

4. Blinky

Blinky Member

5. Davo1111

Davo1111 Member

ITT: never post any worklogs on OCAU ever. Especially if it involves cabling of any type

6. 007*

007* Member

bump.

What are the power regulations in AU regarding Wifi?

Also, do you share internet over airstream?

7. evilasdeath

evilasdeath Member

4W EIRP in the 2.4ghz band, it may differ in the other bands.

Last time i looked,

8. Blinky

Blinky Member