Worklog - Bartop Arcade (Artwork on / Image heavy)

Discussion in 'Retro & Arcade' started by AuS, Jun 7, 2012.

1. AuS

AuS Member

I have been meaning to build one of these for a very long time. So after going on some holidays - thought I would get stuck into this and get it done. I started off on a design type and settled on the tried and tested weecade design - http://www.koenigs.dk/mame/eng/stepweecade.htm.

[​IMG] [​IMG]

I used cupboard metal magnetic clips for the back panel. Will make it easier to pull off and on should I need to get inside the unit. Cut out two quite fan holes at the back for cooling. Cut out the exhaust for the bottom back panel for the power supply. Also cut out the speaker holes. Organised to have my control panel made out of sheet metal. Cost me $25 all done from a local plumbing shop.

[​IMG]

After doing this - I put it all together to see how it comes out and then I can start tweaking a little.

[​IMG] [​IMG]

Picked up a 19inch Samsung Syncmaster from a local Computer Shop - cost me $50. Fair price - considering its excellent condition. Put it to see how the front will come up.

I did up some control panel artwork on illustrator and printed it out on 4 x A4 and stickied them up - stuck it on the deck to see how it would look. Might need to rework some of the buttons though.

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

Have been waiting on some feedback at present from a local screen printer to see about getting the vinyl artwork printed. Have done some mock ups -

Control Panel
    [​IMG]

Header
    [​IMG]

Side Art
    [​IMG]

At present I have pulled it all down - and have just finished priming and sanding. Have put a light coat of blue spray over it as I want that to be the base colour. Will post some more when I get some more done.

Still waiting on some sticks and buttons. Will post them when I get them. Might ask a few questions - and more then happy to take advise if you want to give some.

AuS

Last edited: Jun 15, 2012
  2. a_w_d

a_w_d Member

looking good, I like the Homer Simpson bit!

What spec of computer are you going to use for it?

Also, are you going to use pc speakers?

3. IMtech

IMtech (Banned or Deleted)

Subbed! :)

Looking to do something similar myself when I get back OS, as I don't think the wife is gonna like having a full arcade cabinet in the living room.. or 2 or 3... :lol: :D

4. OP
    OP
    AuS

AuS Member

Here are the specs for the internals.

AMD A6 3500 Triple Core Fusion
    ASRock A75M-HVS Motherboard

Corsair CMX4GX3M2A1600C9 4GB (2x2GB) DDR3
    Corsair CX-430 V2 Power Supply

Bitspower Dual 20cm Cold Cathode Kit White

2 x DEMCi Flex Xtra Magnet 1x 140mm
    2 x Xigmatek XLF-F1453 140mm LED Fan
    2 x DEMCi Flex Fan Filter 140mm Black

I am getting a amplifier off ebay - one of the motorbike ones. I will wire it onto one of the 12v lines. I am putting in two car cheap car speakers for the sound. I will post some pictures of the gear on Monday morning. Finally got the unit sprayed up with bermuda blue - looks pretty good - although none of it will be seen bar the internal edges.

AuS

5. breech

breech Member

Nice. Just shift p1's controls to the left as far as you can. p2's stick looks a bit cramped.
    you should remove the tab enter etc labels as these will probably change in the future, and doesn't really suit a cab.

to be really picky, aus rhino and homer dont really suit it either :p

Last edited: Jun 9, 2012
  6. OP
    OP
    AuS

AuS Member

AuS and Rhino are my and my sons nicks. They are added for that only. From the mock up I have done - it doesn't look too bad on the tilted frontage.

Homer has to stay - my daughter is a big Simpsons game fan - so stuck with that as well I was oblidged to incorporate it somewhere. Wife is a bubble bobble fan (she has clocked it). Invader Man as a throw back to me throwing away my child allowance on Space Invaders - and good ole Mario as the family fun favourite. Red and Blue panels are a throw back to my child hood footy team colours.

Am definitely going to reassess the control panel layout, as you have suggested.

AuS

7. OP
    OP
    AuS

AuS Member

Here is an update. Got the cabinet prepped for paint. 2 x undercoats - then sprayed with Bermuda Blue. Only the inside and the cabinet trim are going to be seen.

Coated the back, top and speaker board in a Carbon Fibre vinyl overlay from OZSTICK.

Installed the two fans on the back. I have got a sweet magnetic DEMCI Fan Filters for the back

Getting ready for the PC install and waiting for vinyl for the Control Panel to be finished so I can do the rest.

[​IMG] [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Need to work on the perspex tomorrow and finally get ready to install the monitor.

AuS

8. OP
    OP
    AuS

AuS Member

A few updates. Have installed the monitor.

[​IMG] [​IMG]

Went got cut some perspex to size and installed. I have designed the fit so that it is perfect from control panel to the top speaker board and fits snuggly in.

[​IMG] [​IMG]

I am getting the vinyl graphics later this afternoon. Hopefully by the end of the day I should have graphics and mouldings on.

Over the weekend plan to install IPAC 2 and cut in the buttons and joystick - and hopefully by Sunday arvo should have it run up ready to go.

AuS

9. roamin

roamin Member

this looks excellent i have started to build a cocktail cabinet myself, have cnc machined it all out and now it sits as a flat pack as im moving house soon. cant wait to finish it

interested in this motor bike amp your talking about. i have not heard of it before. your cabinet looks excellent. i like the sticker layout too. very well thought out :)

where did you get your cabinet design from? or is it your own? bartops look good.

10. OP
    OP
    AuS

AuS Member

Yeah the amplifier is this one here on ebay.

[​IMG]

There are few on there but this one was set to be wired straight to my power lines - so I don't have to muck about.

I started off with the plans from the Weecade - http://www.koenigs.dk/mame/eng/drawweecade.htm however I adopted and changed the widths / heights / depths to suit the gear that I was going to use. I made a lot of the angles into right angles also make fabrication easier (Top header) - (Control Panel). I hope I explained that right. Generally I just started and drew the layout and litterally left it on the ground for 2 days or so and started changing little things here and there.

Also I did curved sides by hand - just ended up penciling in a free hand line and jigsawed it. Come out really well.

The biggest problem I had was wiring the powersupply to also supply the feed for the monitor - as I didn't have the room to put a power board in. I have got that done - and it works great. So in all in all - all the items inside will be run from the power supply - and I won't need to take up extra space with power boards and the like.

I have heard (only a few posts here and there) that wiring the amplifier to the powersupply might create a humm through the speakers - however I am yet to the test this out - and I their gear was not like mine.

The next thing I have to start putting some thought into is what gaming Front End I should use........ still haven't decided.

AuS

11. OP
    OP
    AuS

AuS Member

Alright - have got the artwork done and installed. Looks great. BTW the header is only blue tacd on until I get how I am going to install the perspex there.

[​IMG] [​IMG]

Got the T moulding to do - as well as preparing to crap myself while I drill out the buttons and joysticks. Think I might let it set a little overnight - also do a trial on a scrap piece.

AuS

12. crazyau

crazyau Member

Looks good!:thumbup:
    after i clear up a few more jobs, i will start my bartop.
    when drilling holes if possible use a drilpress. other wise set a hand drill to lowest gearing and use a slow speed.
    clamp a block of wood underneath and centre pop the holes.
    carefully drill centre hole not putting too much pressure as to when it goes through, you dont slam the outer of the hole saw into the steel.
    maintain a nice slow steady speed going through the steel,with a firm pressure.
    if needed add some CRC/wd40 to stop cutters getting hot.

13. OP
    OP
    AuS

AuS Member

Okay - got everything together and the machine run up. Power is running well - however have got some cable tidying up to do.

Things still to do

1. Perspex for the header.
    2. Cable tiding up
    3. 5v wiring for lit buttons
    4. Sort out where I want the power switch
    6. Black out the front screen perspex around the screen (anyone have any idea?)

[​IMG] [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

14. roamin

roamin Member

excellent work there mate, it looks fantastic.

thank you for showing me the amp. appreciate it.

makes me excited to get mine done :)

have you played it much? what front end did you end up deciding to use?

edit: as for the monitor black out, id measure your screen up and get some more solid black vinyl cut out to the shape you want and stick that to the perspex.

Last edited: Jun 19, 2012
  15. OP
    OP
    AuS

AuS Member

I do have a small problem - and that is the one prefixed earlier. The dreaded feedback. I have powered the amp from a 12v line - and there is audible static through the speakers. However after a bit of reading around - I have found that it is a grounding problem. This item here apparently will remove the hiss - http://www.jaycar.com.au/productView.asp?ID=AA3086. Haven't tried it yet - but going to get my hand on one next week.

Only for running things up. I don't want to get into the habbit of playing it as I want to finish it completely before I settle in for some sessions. Otherwise I will never get around to finishing it.

The front end that I am using is Maximus Arcade - after doing a few trial runs with some others - I have found it easily to be the best. It does cost $25 however I maintain that it is worth it. Much easier to setup then mala and hyperspin. http://maximusarcade.com/ can be found here. Easily customisable as well.

Yeah that's I am thinking as well. The local print shop did up my last vinyl stuff - I might measure it up and put some graphics around it as well. Might sleep on it. http://www.ozstick.com.au/prod_tmould.html has some cheap vinyl overlay that I have used for the top and back. I might get another piece and see how that looks. Its very cheap.

Another thing I have done is install a wireless keyboard and mouse http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Logitech...Peripherals&hash=item4cf4ea343a#ht_5504wt_905 - I am trying to work out maybe a cradle at the back of the unit to hold it and the mouse.

Also I have installed a Netgear Wireless Stick inside the unit so I can remote to it and do all the setup without having to be continually sitting in front it. Also it can stream movies and the like to the machine which sort of makes it a little media centre as well for the kids.

AuS

Last edited: Jun 19, 2012
  16. MiccyC

MiccyC Member

Looks great AuS, fair bit of work in that.

-Knight

17. Nasty

Nasty Member

As usual, your little projects end up being awesome...

Can't wait to drop in and see it for real, and play some sessions on it.

Going to use your motivation and do a table variant of it, as I to would love to do this.

Great stuff mate. Cya soon. :D

18. HM4A1

HM4A1 Member

Brilliant! A question; How much did the vinyl prints cost all up?! That would have cost a bit surely?

19. GooSE

GooSE New Member

The speakers in my arcade cab work fine straight off the onboard sound. You probably didn't need the amp.

Nice project nonetheless. :thumbup:

20. OP
    OP
    AuS

AuS Member

Bout time buddy. Been sitting on this for while - finally had the time to get in and get it done.

The artwork vinyl cost me $260 installed. After seeing them do it I am glad. They trimmed all the edges and sealed them. I could get the vinyl printed for as low as $150 - but happy I went local. The lady also through in some headers for me to play with.

Hey buddy - hope WA is treating you good man. Msg me if you wants some tips for the job ;)

I am interested in seeing how you wired them up. Was thinking of doing this - but a little unsure how?? Any tips.

Will update in next couple of days with some more. Got a few things to tidy up. Am installing an external LAN port and also USB.

AuS