So not few months ago I started to run short of display place and wanted something that can hold more stuff. I've been toying with an idea of a custom display cabinet for awhile. This would be a big project because the cabinet will be about 3.6m x 2.2m x 0.4m in size. But money is always the issue. It's not cheap. DIY is not easy either nor will it be that cheap. It's cheaper but not cheap cheap. Eventually I decided to do an initial design and test the water so to speak. I did a rough design and figured out how much materials I'd need roughly. On paper this was easy to get. Overall raw materials would cost around $1800 roughly. I figured I'd round it up to 2k, because nothing is ever what it started out as. Anyway the trickiest part was getting the materials cut up to size. I found a company in Perth that does cut to size order. I sent an enquiry and they came back with a quote of around $2800 for about $500 worth of melamine. I asked is it supposed to be that expensive, and the sales guy said it's labour. Seriously about 20 cuts and about 6 edging. Bunnings does cuts for $1. Fuckers wants $2000+ for that. It's all straight cuts. Anyway I eventually turned to Bunnings Trade instead. They deliver but don't cut. So I had to break my melamine requirements into 2. One that I can carry in my car and one that I can't. Basically all the 3.6m stuff had to be delivered and I will need to cut them myself. The rest I went to local Bunnings and got them to cut it then had to carry it home in my car. Most of this went off without a hitch thankfully. Budget wise I'm pretty sure I went over 2k already. I'm not really counting anymore lol. I also had to buy a couple of tools which bumped the budget up, but tools can be reused later so it's fine. Got a biscuit cutter and another jig saw. Old one packed it in. Originally was going to buy a router and use that to cut the biscuit joint. Luckily I didn't. This biscuit cutter is awesome. Saved me so much time and is so damn easy to use. I am loving it! Best purchase of the whole project! lol Anyway here are some progression pics it's still WIP but should be done in the next couple of days. Spent about a week on it already. Most of the time is spent cutting and drilling. Assembling is surprisingly going off without much issue. There were some design issues that had to be modified on the fly. So project is taking longer than I had anticipated. This is the original space. Those are modified Ikea Detolfs cabinets. 8 of them fit the space with some gaps. Down side of this is that there are a lot of space wasted above the cabinets. They're not that tall. They sit on Ikea Expedit cabinets so that give me some storage space below but I still would rather be able to utilize the space between and above. Anyway I got lucky and was able to sell all the cabinets at an acceptable price. Which offset the new build. Did my initial design in 3D studio to measure the exact size I need. I ordered everything to the exact mm... in hind sight I should've designed a bit more tolerance into the design. But surprisingly it all came in pretty close to design. Some parts were out by 1-2mm which had to be trimmed but pretty much everything was spot on. I haz woodz! Biscuit cutter is awesome!! Although I didn't end up using biscuits on this panel... Coming together nicely. Biscuit joints on the back makes everything super neat and line up perfectly. Extremely impressed with myself that everything is still squared and nothing is warped. There's a false floor so I can run cables through it. The bottom part before I put it in place. The holes lined up pretty neatly too. This is how much room it's taking up. I will have to slowly walk it into the alcove behind it after. The back panel will be lined with black acrylic sheets. This serve to hide the panel joints because I can't get a single piece of melamine that size and also looks nice. I can also change colour or design later pretty easily. There's a 1/6 Geralt of Rivia from Witcher series in there while I'm testing to see if the shelves are level. The middle rail is about 2mm too tall so I had to strip it all back and fix it. All the rails were removed and moved up higher for 2 reasons. One is to correct the leveling and 2 is to allow the floor to be removed easier. Originally they are sitting on the panel so taking out the false floor was a bit trickier. So here's the rails having moved up higher. The leveling is much better now.