Worklog: Laser Cut Acrylic - Smallest Possible mATX Case (while still using a "standard" layout)

Discussion in 'Modding' started by sonicthemouse, Feb 12, 2019.

1. DSTM (Dougie)

DSTM (Dougie) Member

To be honest, those cables are an abortion.I wouldn't use them in any of my mods. Sorry.
    Cablemod cables do look like their picture, because the PSU is hidden, and only part of the cables are used.Your PSU is visible, and that's the problem,as I see it.The only solution, as I see it, you need to extend the base by 95mm in Black, to hide the PSU and most of the wiring.Someone, may have a better solution.:)

Last edited: Sep 7, 2019
  2. Defyant

Defyant Member

Dougies right :thumbup: The fact that my psu is hidden and i use cable extensions helps.... The pin out on that psu does my head in....

But they still look pro ! More black with just one or 2 red highlighters could hide the joins better. Or even a shorter jumper @ the plug.

My small builds always end up looking like a dogs breakfast inside your doing a pretty good job with what you have :thumbup:

3. vladtepes

vladtepes Member

This is why I don't want clear acrylic :)
    White I reckon....

As far as cooling is concerned do you reckon the case would cope with a system with an i9 990 or i7 9700, or Ryzen equivalent.

4. OP
    OP
    sonicthemouse

sonicthemouse Member

Yes I'm in the process of ordering white, black and clear acrylic as we speak actually.

I don't know how it would cope if you OC those CPUs, but the i9-9900 has a 95W TDP, the i7-9700 has a 65W TDP and I think all the Ryzen chips have ~65W TDP also.

It's currently got an i7-5930K in it which has a 140W TDP, and it's got the stock cooler on it, and it's not really getting hot, even at full CPU load. Like, the air coming out the back vent is quite warm, and the fan on the stock cooler is running quite loud, but temps are fine.

Now that we've made the case slightly longer, I'm hoping I can fit a 120mm AIO cooler in the front, then it should run cool and quiet. So with lower TDP CPUs and a better cooler, you should be fine, unless you plan to OC to the max :thumbup:

5. OP
    OP
    sonicthemouse

sonicthemouse Member

Yeah that's what I'm feeling too. Before I modify the case, I'm going to go through the pinouts of the PSU to see if I can swap a few wires around here and there and get it more tidy.

Yeah the pinout on this PSU was horrible, at least the Silverstone SFX is pretty much 24-pin to 24-pin at the other end. Maybe should've stuck with that :lol:

I've been doing small builds for a while, and even with old-school PSUs (where all 24 ATX wires are sleeved in one big bunch) I've had them looking neater than this.

I've just bought a full set of cablemod SF600 cables cheap off a bloke on FB marketplace, so I'm going to shorten/join/re-pin those myself and see what I can learn.

Ratzz - you may well be right in the end, I may need to do it myself, daaaamn :rolleyes:

If you want a job done properly you need to do it yourself it seems.

DSTM (Dougie) and Defyant like this.
  6. vladtepes

vladtepes Member

Out of interest I gather an ITX GPU is slightly taller than a conventional (longer) GPU. As I happen to have a 1070 ITX at the moment I'm hoping it would fit?
    As far as GPUs are concerned in the new case what is the max length (assuming the mods for AIO cooler are made)

Also would there be clearance for a cooler like this one atop the CPU (with room to draw in air) https://noctua.at/en/nh-l9a-am4

and having tested various ones - what SFX PSU is your recommendation?

Ta.

7. DSTM (Dougie)

DSTM (Dougie) Member

I built one with White,and it didn't have the WOW factor.
    Your's though would prob look good, using your black 3D brackets, as a contrast.
    However, Semi Translucent white, looks good, and RGB colours are softer, like the Guru, used in his builds.:thumbup:
    My fav colour atm, is Black.Problem scratches easily.So I stick white cardboard, on all surfaces, till finished.
    Cutouts in cardboard, where needed, naturally.

Last edited: Sep 10, 2019
  8. vladtepes

vladtepes Member

I'm not too interested in wow factor - there'll be as few LEDs as possible in mine.
    Although, assuming its translucent white, I have considered putting some white LEDs in it so I can use it as a room lamp when not using the PC itself :)

DSTM (Dougie) likes this.
  9. vladtepes

vladtepes Member

sonic - I have a couple of questions please.

GPU

You state that with a single 120mm fan at the front of the case, a reference cooler can fit in.
    The cooler you cite - GTX1080 founders edition is 269 x 111 x 40 mm.

Is this the MAXIMUM card size that will fit? I'd really like to know, in the search for a cool quiet card, what I can consider and what I can't.

For example IF it would fit,
    I'd really like to get an MSI Radeon RX 5700 XT, 297 x 140 x 85mm
    Or a Powercolor Radeon RX4700XT, 300mm x 132mm x 53mm.

I know at one point the case size was slightly increased.., but not sure if it's enough for this? Any chance?

PSU: Will this suit? SilverStone SFX SX650-G Gold 650W

Thank you :)

Last edited: Sep 13, 2019
  10. OP
    OP
    sonicthemouse

sonicthemouse Member

Agree. Would probably go with the semi-translucent white :thumbup:

vladtepes, will reply to all your queries via PM :)

DSTM (Dougie) and vladtepes like this.
  11. DSTM (Dougie)

DSTM (Dougie) Member

Any updates on this project,Sonic.

12. OP
    OP
    sonicthemouse

sonicthemouse Member

Not much mate. Cablemod sent me replacement cables for the 8-pin GPU and 24-pin ATX.

The 8-pin GPU is basically the same as the old one, a little longer which is good, but still black heatshrinked.

The 24-pin is useless, they literally did it the wrong way round so I can't physically connect it to the PSU :rolleyes:

There is an 18-pin and a 10-pin connector on the PSU side, and they have put them on the opposite sides of where they need to be, and I can't thread one through the other as the cables are too short.

On the plus side, they were free. On the negative side, this one is useless and they obviously didn't check them at all before sending them :lol:

13. DSTM (Dougie)

DSTM (Dougie) Member

That's a bummer.
    What a headache.
    I would put a black false bottom, in the case and bring the cables through, where you need them, thus hiding 90% of the harness.