[WORKLOG] Lothar's V3 WC build

Discussion in 'Extreme and Water Cooling' started by Lothar_Wolf, Aug 29, 2010.

1. Lothar_Wolf

Lothar_Wolf Member

Hi all.

It has been sometime since my last posting. I also have been slack and not posted or set up photos of the work I have done on my previous single and dual loop systems.

Now with a baby on the way and time becoming more precious. My Rampage Formula failed and a pump in my dual system failed badly. As this happpened over night the rest of the system ran a near boiling. The XSPC single dual res failed as well. I have replaced the external o-rings on all my BP fittings. I have to also test every BP fitting to make sure the internal rings have not failed.

I did buy a P5Q3 Deluxe MB to replace the Rampage so I could run a socket 775 system on my 9650 quad core but in testing my 775 CPU they appear unstable. My 4870x2 video which was cooled in the second loop also appears to have been cooked but I have not tested this extensively as of yet. Only good news is that the mods I did to the TTArmor+ seem to work a treat.

So, where to now as I have lots of parts and money invested in the water cooling. I have bought 2 brand new pumps and I am going for a dual pump single loop system. I am looking at getting a Maximus III Formula and dropping a i7 875K into it. Getting at least a new CPU block and maybe a chipset/mosfet kit for it.

I will be planning the build in stages and posting up details as I go. Before I get into that I will document where I am at atm.

Fingers crossed and wish me luck.

2. OP
    OP
    Lothar_Wolf

Lothar_Wolf Member

Hardware
    CPU - i7 875K
    MB - ASUS Maximus III Formula
    VC - PowerColor PCS+ 5870 1GB
    CASE - Mountain Mod Extended Acension CYO
    PSU - Silverstone 1200W Zeus (Full Modular)

Cooling
    Pumps - 2x Laing DDC-3.25 12 Volt Pump
    Top - XSPC Premium Laing Dual DDC Clear Acrylic Top
    Pump mount - 2x (UN)Designs Infinite Pump Bracket Horizontal Version on 2x (UN)Designs Z-Bracket
    Pump Cooling - 2x Noctua P12 Fan Mount - (for mounting to 120mm fans)
    Res - EKWB Bay Reservoir (Black) Dual Bay
    Rad - 2x XSPC RX 360 RADIATOR
    Rad Shroud - PHOBYA SHROUD & DECOUPLING 120mm (7mm thick)
    Rad fans - 12x Push Pull Noctua P12
    Rad Mount - Swiftech MCB-120 Rev2 Radbox on Lian Li Noise Reduction Foam
    CPU block - EK-Supreme HF - Full Nickel
    Chipset/Mosfet - EKWB Asus Maximus III Formula Acetal Nickel
    VC Block - EK-FC5870 V2 Acetal+Nickel
    Case Fans - Noctua P12
    System Fans - Scythe PCI rafter to mount 80mm noctua with 128Gb SSD (G.Skill Falcon2)
    Fittings - BP metal, true silver (compression fittings) and Koolance QD
    Tubing - PrimoFlex PRO LRT UV Red and UN Blue (1/2 3/4 1/8)

Other
    Lighting - 4 UV lights (2x 30cm and 2x 10cm)
    Inverter - Lamptron "Elite" 4-port Aluminum Casing

I have decided to go nickel plated blocks as my copper blocks tarnish and gunk... to that end I have decide to go an addictive or cooling fluid for this build. As I can source the acetel tops for the blocks easier than the plexi I do not particularly wish to have UV dyes.

My choice for additive is PrimoChill Liquid Utopia.I will not be going a dye or cooling mixture at this time.

Last edited: Sep 13, 2010
  3. OP
    OP
    Lothar_Wolf

Lothar_Wolf Member

I could not believe it when I saw it but I purchase the acetal nickel chipset/mosfet kit for the Maximus III Formula from the Kool Room on special for $89 dollars (that is correct $89) brand new. The shipping was a little steep at $28.10 but it is with fastaways but is has tracking. I was going to go the plexi top but but at that price beggers can not be choosers!

Now to see about the hardware. The Maximus III Formula is getting hard to track down, particular at a low price.

4. OP
    OP
    Lothar_Wolf

Lothar_Wolf Member

Okay all the hardware purchased and since I went through one company I got the rest of the outstanding blocks. I discovered a stash of tubing. I am considering an internal 120.1 rad in the small 5.25 bays the Armor+ has. It will also double up as system fan blowing air across the CPU block.

Thanks to Kool Room and PCCG atm. An order to Gammod soon, particularly when Greg does the Primochill order. I am really looking forward to getting the Liquid Utopia or the clear PURE.

On a side point I am REALLY surprised at the cost of WC parts in AUS. I must confess MOST of my purchases for bits have been to the US. Performance PC and Sidewinder Computers my choice but prices now seem to be compariable, if not in some cases cheaper here than in the US. YAY for the Aussie retailer.

EDIT: Kool Room set block on 30/08/2010 and PCCG sent gear (except the VC preorder to the 03/09) on 31/08/2010.

Last edited: Aug 31, 2010
  5. retrobot

retrobot Member

+1 OZ WC win!!

6. OP
    OP
    Lothar_Wolf

Lothar_Wolf Member

So what is the best orientation for a rad?

I have thought with the intake/outtake at the bottom of the orientation as hot rises and cold sinks. I see alot of folks put their rads in any position. I can only vertically orientate the rads for my build so what is the consensus here.

1. Vertical with the intake/outtake on the top.
    2. Vertical with the intake/outtake on the bottom.

7. retrobot

retrobot Member

Any direction as long as you get the air out. Orientate it to whatever fits your loop, or easiest to work with.

8. OP
    OP
    Lothar_Wolf

Lothar_Wolf Member

I find the intake/outtake down easiest to get air out. Just loosen the screw and the water pushes the air out. Only downside is that I end up using more tubing.

I could put it the other orientation but I think the air would be harder to get out.

9. OP
    OP
    Lothar_Wolf

Lothar_Wolf Member

I was SO excite yesterday. BOTH packages arrived. I got them open and wow nearly everything I need for the new build is here. I hope to get some time later tonight or on Saturday to start the building. :)

How every is the EK Block for the video card? What was even more surprising was that PCCG said that the VC was on back order but they actually had one in stock for me. :)

10. big.fatwilly

big.fatwilly Member

Any orientation will be the same. Bleeding may be hard for vertical mountings with the barbs at the bottom as the air rises to the top of the RAD. But with a little perseverance and rocking it will bleed nicely.

11. OP
    OP
    Lothar_Wolf

Lothar_Wolf Member

With my Feser rad it is easier with the bards at the bottem. It has a pressure screw (I think it is called that) that I can undo gently as the pump runs and when the water comes out I can tighten it up. No bubbles... or so I think.

12. OP
    OP
    Lothar_Wolf

Lothar_Wolf Member

Investigations reveil I do not have enough tubing. I have about 1m of UV red and UV blue. I thought I had more.

I will put the video card block on the Powercolor 5870 tonight. I have to remember to take pictures!

13. OP
    OP
    Lothar_Wolf

Lothar_Wolf Member

Okay this will be my Graphics Card posting.

This is the parts. I love the nickel finish on the block. The sucker is heavy.

Pics from the reveal of bits. I am in two minds about mounting the block. I think I should test it first.

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

14. OP
    OP
    Lothar_Wolf

Lothar_Wolf Member

This is my MB posting.

Here are the blocks. All EK Nickel with acetel. The CPU block is heavy, though not as heavy as the video card block.

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

15. OP
    OP
    Lothar_Wolf

Lothar_Wolf Member

Hi all.

It seems I have a problem but not directly related to this build. I will end up with 3 mbs with only 2 cases. I do not need to build a 3rd system but I figure if I build it I can either have it as a working backup or sell it.

MSI returned a warranty with a brand new P45 Platinum. This means for this project I can pass my armor+ to the HTPC water cool project (P5QE Deluxe) and my old armor case to the P45 Platinum. At the very worse the P45 system will be a file server (air based).

This said, I can now purchase a new case for the main dual pump water system. I am not happy with the mainstream offerings with the layout options and I am not that much of a handy man to build my own. I am seriously considering a mountain mod or Dangerous Den twin tower set up. I am also up for any suggestions on cases or if anyone else would like to share their experience working with mountain mod or dangerous den.

16. Huggy_Bear64

Huggy_Bear64 Member

Everyone seems to think TJ-07s are the go for mainstream WCing cases...

17. Ryadasu

Ryadasu Member

+1, very popular. Sexy too :)

18. FatBoyNotSoSlim

FatBoyNotSoSlim Member

TJ07s certainly are lovely to watercool in, look the part and are damn sexy.

Where are you located Lothar_Wolf if I may ask? I need motivation to split up and sell my Watercooled TJ07. :(

19. OP
    OP
    Lothar_Wolf

Lothar_Wolf Member

Thanks for the feedback all. the TJ07 is a popular case but in my mind it is a bit dated. It is create for modders as lets you do what you want. With my dual top pump I felt like it did not give me the option.

In the end, I was successful in getting a mountain mod case. Big expense but a lifetime of use. More details when it gets built. I can safely say that all my case concerns will be over. Just need to worry about the part arriving. :)

20. OP
    OP
    Lothar_Wolf

Lothar_Wolf Member

Next comes the rads. I have 1 120.2 and 1 120.4 TFC rads. In my new case I am thinking of putting 3 120.3 into the front which will be more than likely XSPCs. Though I am wondering what TFC admiral is all about.

I am wondering what config for this. They will be vertically mounted and side by side. I am guessing that serial connection between them. Other option is parallel connect all three. What do you think? Have you done or seen triple rads hooked up? Got a link?

Also, I want a big res. Most new release res are tiny. I will have room for a dual bay res. I prefer this over the cylinder res particularly like EKs. So far the one the appeals the most is this one. It is older school XSPC and I believe will hold 1200mL.
    http://www.pccasegear.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=13519
    I would prefer the non blue one but they are rare as hens teeth. What do you think about the dual bay res option? Go the newer but smaller models?