Worklog: Massively (Update #65, 29th Nov – Final Pics + Aussie copper pipe fittings!)

Discussion in 'Modding Worklogs' started by Saate, Mar 29, 2012.

1. OP
    OP
    Saate

Saate Member

Thanks so much for the kind words! I think the level of documentation is largely due to trying to cover my ass as a first-time modder - if I think hard and research well, and explain those processes clearly enough, it affords a comfortable degree of insulation against embarrassing 'newbie mistakes' :p

Reservoir Mounts Update

Thought I’d made a quick post this afternoon to show you guys what happened to the mounting clip supplied with the Phobya Reservoir. This is after putting it onto the reservoir once then removing it:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

In this shot you can see break occurs right where the connection to the base ends:

[​IMG]

Close-up shot of the other side of the clip in sunlight, you can see this side is fracturing too and ready to break in a few places:

[​IMG]

I have to wonder if I just got a dud set of mounts or if this is a design flaw? Seems to me that it has to be the later which is a shame given how much I like the Phobya reservoirs. It’s just a piece of plastic worth a few bucks so not a big deal for my build in the longrun, but still it’s the kind of small detail that bothers me! I emailed Phobya about the mounting clips a week ago along with pictures and didn’t hear back, sent a followup email a few days ago but again nothing. I wonder if the support mailbox is unmanned or if its in the ‘too hard’ basket?

I’m thinking I might have to design my own reservoir mounts, which might end up being the far cooler option anyway! :)

2. keano159

keano159 Member

Absolutely stunning job so far man, if it isn't too much trouble, i'd love to see more pictures of you sleeving your wires (If you do have any aditional pictures that is)

Once again, Great build!

3. Huggy_Bear64

Huggy_Bear64 Member

Yeah mine are starting to fracture too :shock:

http://www.performance-pcs.com/cata...e=product_info&cPath=59_368&products_id=29315

http://www.performance-pcs.com/cata...e=product_info&cPath=59_368&products_id=28831

http://www.performance-pcs.com/cata...e=product_info&cPath=59_368&products_id=33257

I now have the phobya ones, will try them out once I have enough funds to rebuild my broken computer :tired:

4. BigDave

BigDave Member

To me it's a material flaw, That plastic doesn't allow you to snap the res into but only to slide it into which in most cases is difficult.

5. SyKRyD

SyKRyD Member

6. Creekin

Creekin (Taking a Break)

no, you got a dud brand! :thumbdn:

7. OP
    OP
    Saate

Saate Member

Sure I can probably dig up a few more shots for you, otherwise I can always take more! Are you mainly interested in more shots of sleeving or the actual depinning/sleeving/heatshrinking process itself?

Thanks for the feedback folks - seems pretty obvious that its a design floor, not to mention the fact that if you slide the clips on from the end you majorly scratch the ends and tubing! Just sent my second followup email to Phobya, I'll still provide them right of reply and reserve any final judgement until then.

I love situations like this :) Much the same as the copper-pipe-adversity this issue is really encouraging me to think about other solutions to reservoir mounting. I did some brainstorming this morning before work and have sketched up a few designs for my own mounts that will suit the build a lot better.

I just need to figure out the best way to cut my designs out - a bench jigsaw obviously strikes me as a great option, but I have limited space and that'd be an expensive way to go. The electric hand-held versions would be good for big jobs but probably not finer work, so what are my options? a hand jigsaw and some elbow grease?

8. keano159

keano159 Member

9. OP
    OP
    Saate

Saate Member

You forgot the other half of your /QUOTE tag :)

Hmmm okay, I'll have to take some new photos to cover the sleeving process a bit better. I need to make a custom length 8-pin cable to reach the top of the motherboard so I'll use that in the example and document the process in a little more detail.

Not sure when I'll get around to it precisely but I'll definitely add it to the list and document it well when I do it :)

10. admiralranga

admiralranga Member

What material are you planning on making them out off? Maybe you could use a router and template.

11. OP
    OP
    Saate

Saate Member

Not sure on material, need to get advice on what will be strong enough :) from measuring thicknesses of similar stuff I've got im looking at around 1.5mm thickness (18 gauge?) and depends whats readily available.

I've not used a router before but I think I get you on the guide/template. I'll have to do some reading up :)

12. quicksta

quicksta Member

13. Moptimus

Moptimus Member

They work by punching small crescents out of the material. Check their tolerances first, they might not work for a larger grade material. - they work fine on sheet metal, but that is not very thick. (0.2 mm from memory - it has been a while...)

Would need a fuck ton of work before your edge was workable.

14. OP
    OP
    Saate

Saate Member

Thanks for the advice fellas :) Planning on chatting to my uncle tonight who has a lot of metalworking experience so will see what he suggests! Really enjoying using Solid Edge 2D Drafting software to put together these ideas - have taken loads of pics of the creative process that I'll post up in due time :)

15. keano159

keano159 Member

hahah oh man, i was wondering how this thing is supposed to work haha, thanks so much, seriously don't go too much out of your way though :)
    Keep up the great work!

16. OP
    OP
    Saate

Saate Member

UPDATE - Reservoir Mount Designs

Thought I might share some shots and detail around my creative process in coming up with alternatives to using the plastic reservoir clips. I'd seen shots of custom made metal reservoir mounts before so thought I'd have a go at figuring it out.

Here's sketches and quick measurements before I left for work:

[​IMG]

Took the sketches and played with the design in Solid Edge drafting software to come up with an early template. I printed the template and in the evening reviewed the measurements and took notes on revisions required:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

After that I put the page on cardboard, with a cutting board underneath, then cut the design out using a Stanley knife:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I then used some double-sided adhesive tape to stick the cardboard+template together, providing me with a real enough version of the design to test measurements and look/feel:

[​IMG]

Testing the look and fit with the reservoir, the finished mounts will hold the top and bottom of the reservoir but this test shows me the length can be reduced by a reasonable amount based on the layout of my build:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

That's it for the moment! I'll provide more detail on how the mount secure the res down the track, suffice to say it will secure it nicely :)

17. BigDave

BigDave Member

Damm fine work there buddy, i'm pretty sure someone already makes a bracket like that.

18. OP
    OP
    Saate

Saate Member

Thanks :) and yeah I've looked at a few similar brackets, mostly the UNDesigns ones which are a little too generic for my purposes. I saw some very similar mounts that SlackerXL custom-made for Barfastic's Freshly Sliced] build. They're the right kind of solution to the mounting challenge but, apart from seemingly not being available for sale, are not quite the right size/shape for my build.

So making my own versions will suit me best I think, be more satisfying too :) Still would be good to see any other versions around if people have links?

19. Psychotria

Psychotria (Banned or Deleted)

I really hope you make all your plans and drawings available somewhere ("open source" or Creative Commons). Great work... never knew a mod thread good be so interesting!

20. OP
    OP
    Saate

Saate Member

Hah, will happily share them - I'm just stumbling through learning as I go though so anyone who does this stuff properly would laugh at them I think :p Still, its helping me measure and test designs so I'm enjoying the process. I'll post up some of my hand sketched stuff at some stage and you can really have a laugh! :p