Worklog: Massively (Update #65, 29th Nov – Final Pics + Aussie copper pipe fittings!)

Discussion in 'Modding Worklogs' started by Saate, Mar 29, 2012.

1. CaidsTech

CaidsTech Member

Mate.. what can't you do? Haha super impressed on this end. Great stuff and agreed with the above, never seen a build thread so interesting!

Edit: Apart from Copie's build blowing up all the time. haha

2. OP
    OP
    Saate

Saate Member

Haha, big thanks for the vote of confidence Caids! :p

UPDATE - 480mm Radiator Placement

I wasn’t happy with the small lip that I’d left when modifying the top of the case to fit the 480mm radiator so I drilled the rivets out and cut+filed it off.

Radiator grill reattached, with the small lip of metal no longer visible on the rear/far side. Did a much better job of getting the rivets in cleanly this time too:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Doing some of this stuff solo gets pretty comical at times. Like trying to screw the 480mm radiator in to the top of the case at the same time you’re holding it, and 4 fan grills, in place. Don’t fool yourselves for a second thinking I was sensible enough to come up with the idea of taping them in place first go :p

[​IMG]

Radiator in place:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

One of my favourite shots from the build so far, love how this one turned out. Big feeling of satisfaction looking at this pic and thinking ‘I did that!’ :)

[​IMG]

..and to finish this update out, a couple of radiator shots from inside the case – resplendent in red! :)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

That's all for now - still working through variations on the radiator mount as well as a pump stand, midplate design and VRM LED Logo mod. I've got three papers due in the next three weeks too (fun!) so will have to focus on them a fair bit. With that said I'll still be rewarding myself with breaks throughout to work on the modding :)

3. brayway

brayway Member

Damn, looks great!
    I'm thinking of redoing mine... I also have a lip there too :p

4. WishBone17

WishBone17 Member

Looks smick! cant wait to see this thing done.. And mounting rad & fan to roof of case without any help is fun!

I had to put a screw from top of the case, through the fan then into rad, as mine is in pull config, my method was simple, i double sided taped (only a very small amount) the fan to the rad, and worked my way up from there..

5. azalin79

azalin79 Member

Keep up the good work mate - The rad and fans look shit hot mounted :thumbup:

6. The_Pinkus

The_Pinkus New Member

Looking good mate! The custom stickers on the fans make it all the more awesome. keep up the good work!:thumbup:

7. OP
    OP
    Saate

Saate Member

Just updated OP with thumbnail links to all the updates throughout the build, that took...WAY too long when I should be studying :p

Thanks heaps guys :) Lots more to come - believe it not I'm thinking of attempting to sneak a fillport (back end, middle) and concealed slot-loading dvd drive (ejecting upwards) into the top of the case yet. Pretty sure I can do it too :)

8. brayway

brayway Member

I'd be very interested in seeing how you put the fill port in, I have the ports on the radiator at the rear of the case, Which is what I think is stopping be from being able to put it there :(

9. BlueRaven

BlueRaven Member

Just stopping in once again to give another :thumbup: for this excellent build log. Your attention to detail in the design, documentation and execution thus far is very impressive.

The rad grill, res mount designs and custom stickers look great, keep this up and you'll need to design and build some kind of electromagnetic containment chamber for the rig in order to prevent people's faces melting from the excessive level of Awesome. :leet:

Oh yeah, this may be of minor interest too...

I've dealt with or worked alongside so many idiotic people at so many backward companies over the years, I get a little excited when I come across an organisation staffed by people who can see beyond the end of their nose, hence sending them some positive feedback as I mentioned earlier in the thread. Nice to see it was received. :)

10. OP
    OP
    Saate

Saate Member

I was only just wondering if they'd responded to you - thanks for sharing :)

11. OP
    OP
    Saate

Saate Member

Busy working on uni papers at the moment. Have been working on drafting layouts in my spare time trying to get different designs finished and ready for laser cutting.

Just received my latest PCCG order :) 32GB Corsair Dominator RAM, Corsair Force GT 120GB SSD and a bunch of fittings. Have taken a few shots of the gear but really need to wait until im home at the same time as the sun to get post-worthy ones.

Also a few quick shots to show how the dremel discs wear down, thought they made interesting shots :)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

12. Creekin

Creekin (Taking a Break)

pfft...when u said interesting i expected something more like this :leet:

Click to view full size!

but yeah those close ups do look cool :thumbup:

13. OP
    OP
    Saate

Saate Member

About 1400 words into this weekends uni paper, going well enough that I had a chance to take a few shots of my latest PCCG order this afternoon. The only thing I didn't include in the shots is the 8 meters of u-channel edging (two kinds) since its pretty boring.

[​IMG]

Couple of shots of the fittings:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

A shot of the Liquid Utopia in an 'alternate context' - couldn't resist! :)

[​IMG]

Have another update mostly written up on the motherboard tray, will see how tomorrow goes and if I can finish it.

14. Huggy_Bear64

Huggy_Bear64 Member

Shiny :D

Also how much bloody RAM do you want!? :eek:

15. OP
    OP
    Saate

Saate Member

Hehe, yeah I like the shiny! :p I guess 32GB is pretty huge, although we develop hydrological modelling software at work and have some machines with even more. I could use work as an excuse for going with 32GB but it wouldn't be true, I think the choice was more of a result of the spirit of the build than anything - going about it 'massively' :)

16. c_hegge

c_hegge Member

Let us know how that RAM goes. Personally, I've had very bad luck with Corsair RAM. Every single DDR3 PC I've built with it would get random BSODs. Even my main PC was a 'victim'. When it was first built, it had Corsair XMS. I tried formatting it twice, replacing the motherboard, and replacing the RAM (with other corsair modules), and the random BSODs persisted. Eventually, I ran memtest for a few days and errors started to pop up. I swapped the RAM with kingston and problem solved.

17. CaidsTech

CaidsTech Member

There was a huge issue with Corsair and early Gigabyte X58/P55 chipsets.. Everything is hunky dory now though. =]

18. OP
    OP
    Saate

Saate Member

Thanks for the info :) I have to say that on more than one system I've had built in the past I've had RAM related issues with BSOD/Resetting. Not with Corsair RAM but annoying enough that I did a fair bit of reading about RAM specs/speed/voltages ahead of this purchase out of paranoia more than anything so I think I've made a pretty safe choice. The Asus website also lists this RAM in its compatibility list with the motherboard which bodes well. We'll see though eh?

Just finished this weekends 2000 word paper. I'm a little tired but overall it wasnt as rough as it could have been - time enough left for that update I reckon :)

UPDATE – Testbenching fun for motherboard tray mod

Since I want the finished case mod to have a really ‘open’ feel to it I’ve been thinking about cutting away some of the motherboard tray. I don’t have any desire to hide my sleeved cables so figured I could remove a reasonable amount of the motherboard tray. I setup something of a testbench to see what kind of space I had to play with.

[​IMG]

Won’t be needing these:

[​IMG]

I won’t be using the Lund reservoir in this build (Well suggested, Dave!) but wanted to see what kind of space considerations I needed to make if mounting the reservoir to the mb tray.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

See the white markings on the tray at the bottom? That rectangular shape is roughly what I’m considering cutting out plus a bit more toward the right edge since I've decided I wont be attaching a reservoir to the motherboard tray. I'll still leave the cable loops on the right intact to help wrangle the GPU power cables though. Would be keen to hear your thoughts :)

[​IMG]

Dug out the dusty 8800 Ultra to help build a complete picture:

[​IMG]

CPU 8-pin plugged in – with the Corsair 800D case that cable needs to be extended to reach the PSU. They actually provide an extension with the case for that purpose, but you know I can’t stoop to that :p

[​IMG]

Something I’m going to have to double-check is the power connectors on the video cards I end up getting. I have a feeling they’re generally an 8+6 connector (feel free to illuminate my understanding!) which will mean with my current sleeving the colours are going to be BBRW-BBR…and since that WOULDN’T BE VERY SYMMETRICAL THE VOICES MIGHT NEED ME TO KILL AGAIN...or I guess I could not do the killing thing and shuffle colours around so it does work. Meh, either way :)

[​IMG]

19. WuzzA21

WuzzA21 Member

Guess someone does roids. 23g needle heads can only mean one thing.

20. OP
    OP
    Saate

Saate Member

Haha the truth is far nerdier :p My younger brother uses the needles to inject Cointreau into strawberries, that he then coats in chocolate.

[​IMG]

Maybe we can revise that to "23g needle heads can only mean two things" eh? :p