Worklog: Massively (Update #65, 29th Nov – Final Pics + Aussie copper pipe fittings!)

Discussion in 'Modding Worklogs' started by Saate, Mar 29, 2012.

1. WuzzA21

WuzzA21 Member

Bahahahahahahahahaha

2. Moptimus

Moptimus Member

[​IMG]

Despite all the evidence to the contrary in the image above, you are thinking that the OP uses juice? :confused:

No offence Saate, but mate if you are on the juice, get your money back, you've been sold a pup. :D

3. Creekin

Creekin (Taking a Break)

obviously he's on Ice.... :Pirate:

4. Moptimus

Moptimus Member

[​IMG]

You are so punny.

5. OP
    OP
    Saate

Saate Member

Awww man, I think its just that particular picture which isnt do my rippling muscles justice! I could so totally be on the juice, and you just KNOW the added patience and mental acuity I'd gain from the roids would help with the hours of sleeving right? right? wait... :p

I nearly didnt get that, then I did, then I grinned like a fool :p

6. c_hegge

c_hegge Member

I've had problems with Sandy bridge CPUs too (H67 and Z68 chipsets). Also had it on ASUS P55 boards. I came to the conclusion that corsair have forgetten how to make good RAM.

7. CaidsTech

CaidsTech Member

Really? Shiiiit. Hadn't heard about issues with newer boards. But if i remember correctly with the Gigabyte X58/P55 boards they came good with a BIOS update.. however you needed different RAM to do this.. :rolleyes:

But thinking I'll steer away from Corsair for the time being. It's too late for Saate. :lol:

8. Psychotria

Psychotria (Banned or Deleted)

I've had no problems with Corsair RAM (Gigabyte Z68X-UD3H-B3 mobo)

9. OP
    OP
    Saate

Saate Member

Although I suspect it will be fine, I'll hold off removing the stickers/etc before I'm certain its all compatible and will end up with this build. Speaking of which I'll see if I can post some pictures of the RAM sticker designs I was playing with last night.

10. OP
    OP
    Saate

Saate Member

Any advice on CPU guys? Have been reading articles about i7 2700K vs 3770K tonight trying to learn a bit more. Seems both are solid choices but the 3770K has heat issues OC'd too much? Probably not so much an issue since I won't be overdoing it on this machine but would be good to get some opinions and advice while I'm still reading up.

11. theSeekerr

theSeekerr Member

I can't see anything compelling about Ivy Bridge on the desktop - at identical clockspeeds there's only a few percent (<10%) performance improvement.

At stock speeds, Ivy draws ~20W less than Sandy. That may or may not translate to cooler stock temps on a given chip. Overclocked, it gets hotter faster with added Vcore, limiting potential gains.

Most reports indicate that Ivy is fine up to about 4.6GHz, but for now Sandy is better if you're pushing higher than that.

Go read up on the Ivy Bridge Thermal Interface Material change - long story short, the higher temperatures seem to have more to do with a manufacturing change than the die shrink.

On Sandy, Intel soldered the integrated heat spreader to the die. On Ivy, they've used cheap thermal paste. There are reports floating around the internet of 5-7 degree drops from replacing the paste or running the chip without a heat spreader, which suggests the problem would largely go away if Intel quietly brought back the solder.

12. dmandn

dmandn Member

Corsair are fine, run them in many customer machines, less of them come back than hyper X and much lower percentage of returns than G.skill and others we sell. Only ones I'd steer clear of are the value series ones. Their vengeance and dominator series are good.

13. OP
    OP
    Saate

Saate Member

Big thanks for the info :) Seems like a pretty straightforward choice to go the route of the Sandy, made a lot easier by the fact every single review and forum agrees on the facts. I'd be annoyed if Intel re-release the 3770K with solder right after I get a 2700K though :p

UPDATE - RAM Sticker Drafts

Here's a draft design for stickers to go onto the Dominator RAM, replacing the obverse side stock Corsair ones. Once I'm happy with a design and colour scheme I'll do some simpler ones to replace the reverse side too.

I got the idea of numbering the sticks and tried variations of numbering like '1 of 4', '1/4' and '#1' and nothing quite fit right and balanced it out. Eventually put in the 'limited edition' text which balanced the design while being a little quirky so I think it's staying.

Here are the colours it came down to:

[​IMG]

I printed them out on standard (dodgy) printer paper so I could cut them out and see how they looked. Remember these are only roughly cut out dodgy printing paper versions, the objective of the exercise was to get a feel for what I liked and didnt like. It came down to the black or white for me and I think I'll ultimately go with the black stickers so they blend in more.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Let me know what you think :)

I'm also looking to buy a scroll saw in the next couple of weeks so that I can cut acrylic/alu myself for some of these designs I'm working on. It's been a little frustrating having about four different designs ready and tested with cardboard/paper cutouts, but not be able to create the real versions. I've got a local acrylics place that can do the cutouts for me but due to turnaround times and cost I really need to get all of them finished and accurate so I can submit them in a batch job.

Have found some eBay places to order alu sheets and 3mm acrylic but also have no idea on whats reasonable for prices. Would I be better off buying this stuff locally? and if so what chains would carry it? My local bunnings didnt last time I asked.

14. CaidsTech

CaidsTech Member

Don't get me wrong, I've never had a problem personally. Hell I've had corsair as long as I've had PC's, every time I try to switch I end up having problems (OCZ reapers, G.Skill shit). But I remember we had huge issue with a lot of build not accepting the RAM or a random 2 GB module would go missing etc.

So all in all, I'm still a fan. My previous statement was a bit brash.

+1 for the black mate, just blends in a lot nicer, but may not stand out as much as the white? I was thinking maybe a red background with the 'Massively' text in black and the 'limited edition' in white.. Just to make it pop a bit more maybe.. definitely not as subtle though.

And yet again, in awe of your awesome skills with everything. Love this thread haha.

15. c_hegge

c_hegge Member

^
    Yup. I think I like the black better. I think I like the black background with the red "Limited edition #_" text

16. The_Pinkus

The_Pinkus New Member

100% agree with Mr. c_hegge
    Black better
    and make the 'limited edition' red.:thumbup: Looks good and the dominator's are a great ram so good choise:thumbup:

17. OP
    OP
    Saate

Saate Member

Thanks for the feedback :) I think the red 'limited edition' text is a good idea - did some more dodgy printouts to see how it looked today:

[​IMG]

I think that should definitely do it! Will have a play with some simple designs for the other side shortly, but that should cover stickers for the time being. Have a 3000 word paper to write, this coming weekend but am confident I'll be able to make time to work on writing up a big update :)

Might also see if I can sneak out at some stage and find somewhere that sells aluminum and acrylic sheets.

18. VirtualNinja

VirtualNinja Member

19. OP
    OP
    Saate

Saate Member

Thanks, the final versions will be printed on proper sticker paper that I have so will look a lot better. I've just been printing on normal paper while I'm figuring out what looks good.

Thanks for the pcx link, too! Would be cool to experiment with different papers. Heading into this build I got a quote from a local signwriter to print the stickers in awesome quality/vinyl etc but since the minimum size is something like 1200x1000mm the cost was something like $125.

Not bad considering the huge quantity of stickers you'd get from that, but a little too many for this small build :)

20. Mickatroid

Mickatroid Member

Limited to just one most likely. If you are keen to re-badge the RAM, what about 'custom build' or 'custom built' or some other one-of-a-kind moniker that you can use throughout.

'Limited edition' would cause me to guess that there are only a couple of thousand the same.