Worklog: Massively (Update #65, 29th Nov – Final Pics + Aussie copper pipe fittings!)

Discussion in 'Modding Worklogs' started by Saate, Mar 29, 2012.

1. OP
    OP
    Saate

Saate Member

Yeah I had a good think along those lines, in this case the 'limited edition' really just refers to the idea they're the only four 'Massively!' badged sticks around, obviously because they're the only four I badged heh. I think it's more likely to be misconstrued as hardware ive actually created myself if I use build/built terminology. I could always fall back to something like 'custom modded' but the limited edition feels ok for now. We'll see!

2. Mickatroid

Mickatroid Member

Fair enough :) My only remaining suggestion might be 'Massively Certified'

Fun posting in this thread, I build my own machines etc. and am fastidious about components but would never go to these lengths. I don't even hide my cabling out of the way :)

3. OP
    OP
    Saate

Saate Member

Caught the MDPC store on Thursday morning :) Had been thinking of getting some pop rivets and screws for a while so was good to catch him. Here's what I ended up getting:

• Rivet Dome Head - WHITE x 50
    • Rivet Countersunk Head - BLACK x 100
    • Rivet Dome Head - BLACK x 100
    • M3 x 6 mm Screws Black-Oxide Button-Head x 150
    • Brainwasher M3 x 150

This weekends paper is 3000 words, but progress has been good today and I'll be finished tomorrow so will definitely have time to write up a big update!

4. inoxlc

inoxlc Member

love the work - quick question, in your first pic what type of speakers are those?

5. OP
    OP
    Saate

Saate Member

Thanks :) They're Razer Mako THX speakers, the best speakers I've ever owned! I spent ages looking around for speakers and mainly wanted a solution that wouldn't compete with my monitors for attention on the desktop.

I eventually discovered the Razer Mako speakers and after reading up on all the reviews bought some. I'm pretty sure from memory they were a fair bit cheaper than what the Razer online store says too. Anyway, awesome speakers - if you're in the ACT you're welcome to come check 'em out sometime too! :)

6. OP
    OP
    Saate

Saate Member

[UPDATE] - Midplate Design

Getting into the guts of things now, so to speak! :) One of the key design considerations for me in approaching this build so far has been the rejection of conventional ways of doing things. It's the same philosophy that lead to all the custom stickers, the 480mm radiator mod, the copper piping and the (in progress) custom reservoir holders.

I don't like ordinary and predictable, and you know whats ordinary and predictable? Placement of the PMP-450 pump in an 800D build. On it's stock stand the pump doesnt quite fit down in the lower compartment which means the majority of modders position it on the midplate next to the hotswap bay - usually in an awkward and ugly way :) If not the midplate the other place you're likely to see the PMP-450 is inside a combined pump/reservoir drive bay device.

In a loop using hard copper pipes the pump needs to be connected using flexible tubing to prevent the transfer of vibration to the case. This presented me with a real design challenge! I couldnt fit the pump into the lower section of the case to hide the flexible tubing part of the loop, and I didnt want the tubing messing up the look up above. It took me a while to figure this one out :)

I started off by measuring the length and width of the midplate (with the hotswap bay removed) and used the measurements to cut out a piece of cardboard. Sitting the AX1200 and Hotswap Bay on the cardboard helped me figure out how much space I had to work with in the lower compartment if I move the hotswap down there - not much:

[​IMG]

I also took the opportunity to upgrade the hotswap bay to SATA 3 which made for some nice shots. Would be silly not to share! :)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Love this shot!

[​IMG]

Screws from the hotswap bay:

[​IMG]

After getting a better idea for clearances below I put the cardboard piece on top of the midplate so I could start thinking about where to put the pump. It's attached to two stands in the pictures because I got sick of the wires getting in the way.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Having the pump on the two stands ended up providing me with the solution I was after. Next up came some more measurements to see how it looked:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Cut the hole out and used black electrical tape for my mock u-channel edging:

[​IMG]

...and there we go! A unique pump mounting solution that confers the benefit of showing off the silver housing, while still concealing the flexible tubing in the bottom of the case:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Some additional measurements to locate bulkhead fittings:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

..and finally some kitchen sink tests to make sure the pump still functioned effectively in the vertical orientation - it did!

[​IMG]

Where to from here? Next steps are drafting up the midplate design to send to a lasercutter and designing a mounting system for the pump in that position as the stock stands take up too much space already.

Would love to hear your feedback guys :)

7. Creekin

Creekin (Taking a Break)

for now.. :Paranoid:
    thats a really bad idea imho
    thats about the only orientation thats not good...the impeller sits on a ceramic bearing, magnetic force holds it there but it only supports from the bottom and sides, not the top. so upside down its just hanging.

8. OP
    OP
    Saate

Saate Member

Sage advice as always mate :) Any idea where I can read more about that? Alain mentioned his manual said something about orientations but mine didnt come with any warnings. If its not good its not good, but I still need to read and learn!

9. Moptimus

Moptimus Member

^^Exactly this mate.

It looks nice, but it is one of the only things that you can't do with a D5, I have never tried it, but when you get the salty old dogs like Javascripter onto that sort of thing the answer is no. The very same reason Creekin said.

I was going through the update just shaking my head saying no no no no.

Hey, it might not have any issues tho, a quick google shows that there have been people who have run with it like that for ages.

Plus you got a hole in your case now. :Paranoid:

PAGE 3 HERE

^^Found it1 2 3 4 ... It is mentioned in several posts about a manual. I didn't get a manual with mine.

Last edited: May 28, 2012
  10. OP
    OP
    Saate

Saate Member

No hole in my case yet - thats all just cardboard I was playing with so worst case scenario I'm back to thinking about how to make it fit :) Reading up on Martin's Liquid Lab review of the PMP450 now and searching for other sources of info.

You guys should know by now I love this kind of challenge! :)

EDIT - Thanks for the links!

11. inoxlc

inoxlc Member

thanks - shame im not in ACT to check out your speakers and your build -in progress (have exactly the same set up with the 2711). Seems as though razer has discontinued the mako line - I guess its back to the soundbar option for me :)

12. Psychotria

Psychotria (Banned or Deleted)

Saate. You suck.

Hahaha, j/k of course (I am jealous). Brilliant work.

13. Creekin

Creekin (Taking a Break)

yeah it does look cool..but :thumbdn:
    my preference is the opposite of that..just makes more sense to me, but the manual linked above states sideways as per the stock stand is best... :confused:

14. admiralranga

admiralranga Member

Sideways but still midway through the midplate, might look good. If you keep both barbs below the plate you wouldn't be able to see the flexible tubing. As is does look good tho.

15. keano159

keano159 Member

It's been a week with no update, the suspense is killing Saate :lol:

16. OP
    OP
    Saate

Saate Member

Hah, have finished uni work for the semester now so will be able to focus on this for the next few months :) couple of pics to share tonight, more in the next few days. Also have a few bits of news to share when I can gather my thoughts.

A few nice pics of the CPU heatsink:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Here's the draft midplate design I'm working on. Found it very satisfying that all my measurements on the cardboard translated well into the drafting software :) I think I need to just bite the bullet and send it off to the laser cutter but keep wanting to refine a little more..

[​IMG]

Just a dodgy iPhone shot, but thought I'd share an idea for the SSD mounting that's been growing on me. Having the SSDs (the mushkin is just a placeholder) mounted straight down into the midplate so they appear as ominous obelisks. I'd pass the connectors through from underneath and secure them with screwed in concealed mounting behind. Based on tests I could also look at increasing the initial width of the hole so they actually sit a few mil into the midplate. Still thinking, but it'll be something along those lines.

[​IMG]

Anyway, more soon folks :)

17. OP
    OP
    Saate

Saate Member

Reservoir Mounts Update

UPDATE - Reservoir Mount Designs

Small update tonight to share the second round of adjustments made on the reservoir mounts I'm making. Since it was a few pages back here's what the first version looked like:

[​IMG]

I revised the design a little and shortened the neck so the reservoir will be much closer to the wall which is what I was after. Tested positioning of the holes for the fittings:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Here's what the pieces will look like:

[​IMG]

A few more shots from me playing around:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Looking at getting something like a [120W Ryobi Variable Speed Scroll Saw] to cut the designs out of aluminium sheet, although welcome any advice on method/material!

Looking forward to doing some copper pipe work this coming long weekend, and recently had the father-in-law come around and replace all the downlights in our place. I swear it's like a totally new home, I can actually SEE at night instead of fumbling around in the dark. Will help encourage me do a lot more work in the evenings now :)

Bonus pic for tonight - I redesigned some business cards for my brother Tim recently, and while I was at it I thought I'd design some 'fun' ones for another one of my brothers. The result:

[​IMG]

He loved them, posted a picture on Facebook and actually had someone ask me "Is that really what your brother does?". I thought for a moment then responded "Yep, ever since they legalised it back in 2006" :)

18. brayway

brayway Member

How did you print them with the gloss like that?
    and the brackets look good :)

19. m3k

m3k Member

Man kinda jell ur done, I've still got 2weeks..Did you do the spot uv your self?, gw plannin, can't wait to see the sheets cut..

Last edited: Jun 6, 2012
  20. OP
    OP
    Saate

Saate Member

Thanks fellas :) The gloss is spot UV coating as m3k identified, and nah I use a company called print100 for business cards. They're quick, good quality and cheap enough for joke runs like those hehe - $36 delivered for 300 cards, double sided CMYK and loads of extras - in this case the spot UV was about $2 extra