Worklog: Massively (Update #65, 29th Nov – Final Pics + Aussie copper pipe fittings!)

Discussion in 'Modding Worklogs' started by Saate, Mar 29, 2012.

1. Dumpty

Dumpty Member

Theb business card, awesome. Honestly the funniest thing I've seen in a while full stop

2. Madengineer

Madengineer Member

God this looks so awesome!

3. OP
    OP
    Saate

Saate Member

Hah, I've actually been getting pretty frustrated lately that I havent really been able to share the 'big picture' goal for the finished version yet. It's annoying the hell out of me - probably good motivation to get through a fair bit this weekend.

I really need to sit down and watch some Youtube tutorials on sketchup so I can learn to rotate items properly, it always ends up pissing me off too much :p

4. Madengineer

Madengineer Member

Haha. I've gotta do that for my own little project :D

But good luck! This is going to be one awesome case!

5. BlueRaven

BlueRaven Member

Bahahahahaha.... "life adjustment services". :lol::thumbup:

Looking good Saate, loving the design work. The SSD mounting idea is also a nice original idea too.

In answer to your question in my build thread about the U-channel and rubber cement: like Creekin said, you don't have to use it. If it's the right size and you're just lining a round/square/oblong hole, it will sit nicely by itself if cut to the proper length. I only used adhesive to get the channel to sit nicely around the edges of that irregularly-shaped cutout, due to the mounting tabs at the midpoint of the rad. It was a pretty messy job tbh, I need to get out the solvent and clean up the excess when I start putting the finishing touches on the project.

What did you decide about the pump orientation and the midplate? Pump inlet facing up? That would be best... gravity feed makes priming the pump much easier while filling the loop and will prevent any possible bearing damage caused by running the pump dry before the loop is fully filled.

Sketchup pisses me off, but is well worth learning. I really need to dive back in to Bastard Child's SolidEdge sticky too... great stuff in there. I've been meaning to learn it for ages. ;)

Last edited: Jun 7, 2012
  6. OP
    OP
    Saate

Saate Member

Hah you know me, stubborn to the last! I've been emailing back and forth with Koolance tech guys and more recently with Laing Thermotech reps in Australia, who have passed some questions on to their office in Germany. It's all positive so far, so hope to have an update on that soon!

7. Psychotria

Psychotria (Banned or Deleted)

They really should fly you over there to make sure there are no errors in communication.

8. OP
    OP
    Saate

Saate Member

..hey now that's a good idea! :p Koolance/Laing have all been pretty awesome with emails so far.

It's Phobya that have been difficult to talk to. I've been emailing them since the 30th April and following up twice a week and only recently had my first response! They've had some staff turnover issues leading to the customer service mailboxes being unattended, but the response seemed promising so hopefully my latest email gets some attention sometime soon :)

UPDATE– Midplate Removal

To get better measurements for my new midplate and measure up space to relocate the hotswap bay I had to drill a number of rivets. Here’s how it looked before I started, I put the blanket down so I could put the case on its side without worrying too much about scratches.

[​IMG]

Two rivets securing the lower hdd enclosure need to be drilled out, also need to remove those post things sticking up out of the plate.

[​IMG]

Six rivets need to be drilled out from the front to release the lower hdd enclosure and midplate:

[​IMG]

Lower hdd enclosure removed – strangely I thought it would be a single piece like the optical drive and hotswap bays.

[​IMG]

Loads of space down below now!

[​IMG]

Midplate removed!

[​IMG]

Little bit scary looking at the case stripped down so far! There was a time earlier in this build when the thought of removing all this stuff concerned me so much that I briefly entertained the idea of going aircooled instead – pffft!

[​IMG]

Now that I’ve got the midplate out I need to wait and see what I’m doing with the pump orientation. I’ll definitely still be featuring the circular cutout in the midplate but have a few contingency uses marked out for it if I don’t end up using PMP450S there. We’ll see :)

Here's the latest draft of the midplate, the removed part on the lower-right corner is clearance for the hotswap bay to fit in.

[​IMG]

More soon :)

9. brayway

brayway Member

looking good, I just cut a hole in the fan grill in the mid plate, and dropped my pump in there :p

10. walker_2003

walker_2003 Member

are you in canberra? if so, when can we visit to check it out once its done lol

11. OP
    OP
    Saate

Saate Member

I don't remember that, got pics up? Yeah I'm basically cutting the fan grill out too and putting the acrylic piece over the top.

I am :) Work in Belconnen and live in Queanbeyan, welcome round anytime - beers on me in return for advice and ideas :)

12. Creekin

Creekin (Taking a Break)

yeah was trying to find that pic to show him
    the way u did it is awesome i reckon... :thumbup:
    whoever came up with that idea is a fucken GENIUS!!!!!! :D

is the skate park and the pizza hut still there opp the mall?
    we used to drive down on a friday night and skate all weekend :leet:

13. brayway

brayway Member

I heard he's quite an idiot actually :p

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

the dust will be cleared out in the coming weeks:)

14. WishBone17

WishBone17 Member

i'm comimg too, well make a day of it, ill bring my Girlfriend Creekin down.

BTW how are the copper pipes going? are you getting inspiration from this build

15. stevebris

stevebris Member

Wishbone the rig you linked is what I have thoughts of.
    Love the stainless!

16. OP
    OP
    Saate

Saate Member

Not sure about the pizza hut but the skate park is definitely still there - I go bowling a few times a week at the AMF across the road from it.

Thanks for digging those up - I see what you mean now :) What I'm doing is cutting the grill section out and attaching the 3mm acrylic cutout on top of it.

Deal! :)

Yeah that build is beautiful, although what I always come back to for inspiration is Alain's Project White. Best.

Last edited: Jun 14, 2012
  17. Rogue-X

Rogue-X Member

Thats the build that does it for me as well

18. OP
    OP
    Saate

Saate Member

Wanted to post this afternoon to say thanks to everyone for the help, advice and support in the build so far! Last Friday night I was delighted to watch the thread views tick over into six figures - 100,000 views!

I wanted to do something special to celebrate so, based on avatars and profile data from regular posters, I had a talented friend (Mike Perry of No Dice) put this together as a way of celebrating the milestone. I'll leave it to you guys to figure out who's supposed to be who, thanks again and hope you like it! :)

[​IMG]

19. WishBone17

WishBone17 Member

Ohh wow, thats awesome!!!!!!!! I feel so loved, nobody ever thanks someone for being a regular poster. You rock!!

20. Creekin

Creekin (Taking a Break)

:lol: that is epic! :thumbup:

immortalised as a toon, finally!!!! :leet:
    ROAD TRIP!!!! :thumbup:
    been hanging for a skate too :leet:

Last edited: Jun 14, 2012