Worklog: Massively (Update #65, 29th Nov – Final Pics + Aussie copper pipe fittings!)

Discussion in 'Modding Worklogs' started by Saate, Mar 29, 2012.

1. WishBone17

WishBone17 Member

its reference design with the reference stock cooler so technically it should be exactly the same quality as any other reference board 680..

only thing i can think of is they might use a more generic PCB and lower VRMS but i highly doubt it.

I've used Inno3d gear in the past and can't fault them, when it comes to Video card, as long as it's reference i always go for the cheapest brand available..

the more expansive brands charge you that extra dollar for maybe more warranty and they do have better customer support then the lesser ones. (but once you rip that stock cooler off, your warranty is out the window anyway) However I think EVGA let you take the cooler off and still honour warranty)

Last edited: Jul 9, 2012
  2. Huggy_Bear64

Huggy_Bear64 Member

Although sapphire generally give the most extra bits and usually have a black PCB, and they only cost a bit more than the crappy brands (HIS, Inno3D etc.) But still way less than the overpriced brands (Asus, gigabyte, etc.).

3. OP
    OP
    Saate

Saate Member

Thanks for the input so far fellas :) So I'm still in this confused limbo :p Argh! If there was a glut of benchmarks and reviews on the Inno3D it'd make it an easy choice, but there isnt and its only confusing me. Must think...

4. Dingostolemyghz

Dingostolemyghz Member

The ref 670 is nothing like the ref 680, it's a tiny little 7" pcb with the stock air cooler overhanging the pcb. Check bundys water cooling thread to see one of those tiny little things with a tiny full cover on it. I think one of those would look mint on an mITX build (if you could get/mod single slot) but would look a bit poo on most full sized builds.

Some non-ref 670 use the ref 680 PCB (such as the Gigabyte OC) and therefore fit a 680 block - but for using side by side pcie, not using the stacked power, therefore not every ref 680 blocks fit. These seem to perform a bit better than the ref 670s too. The asus dcuII uses a different PCB AFAIK and it looks like EK might be the only people doing a block for it. No idea about the EVGAs though, haven't looked into those.

But yeah, before getting any specific model GPU double check its going to fit the block you want.

5. Dumpty

Dumpty Member

One reason for the massive price difference between Inno 3D and the others is vendor pricing set by the vendors. if you look at American prices for the 680 they are all round 600 dollar mark. So if anything inno3D is being nice to us Aussie's by still providing a reasonable price.

6. OP
    OP
    Saate

Saate Member

Thanks to both of you - that actually clears things up a bit :) 2 x Inno3D 680s it is :)

7. WishBone17

WishBone17 Member

good choice! i might be getting two of em as well (this weekend). :) just need to make sure minister of finance is unaware

8. OP
    OP
    Saate

Saate Member

Cool stuff :) I might order the Heatkiller blocks tomorrow ahead of getting the cards. I need to pay 3.5k for next uni semester soon and pay off South America trip booked for end of year - hopefully tax return is good this year, thought part time study and full time work would mean more deductibles but now I think not so much.

Now time to write up a small update I reckon...

9. xok

xok Member

I can't decipher exactly what you mean, but I ran a D5 vario with the impeller facing down for about 6 months with 0 issues. Was a pain to bleed, but that's it.

10. Dumpty

Dumpty Member

hahah :D only a bit?
    Seriously tho good choice. You should have heaps of overclocking potential with those cards.
    Just gonna put it out there but you could try importing some 4.gb 680 Evga cards from the usa, if you wanted too. Although 2.gb is plenty for all games currently available. But like I said it's just a suggestion. Silly one... XD

Last edited: Jul 9, 2012
  11. OP
    OP
    Saate

Saate Member

A few copper pipe teaser shots for you guys tonight :) Before starting the loop bending tests recently I took the three lots of copper pipe I have outside to check it all out.

Heres the 12.7mm aussie copper pipe I have for practice:

[​IMG]

The 12.0mm copper piping Crane Manufactured for me:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The 12.0mm BS EN1057 European stuff I had shipped from the UK, this is actually how the container looked on arrival too:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The three varieties together:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

It's such a great material, pretty easy to work with too - just wait until you guys see the initial loop layout/testing shots with polished pieces :)

12. mrbean_phillip

mrbean_phillip Member

Looking good :) Can hardly wait for updates - I did a Vapochill (CPU) and water (GPU) setup back in the early 2000's, and used stainless steel tubing for the waterloop, together with Festo push-lock fittings back then, as we had none of the modern selection available.

Looked good, and worked really well - expecting yours to be a few good notches above that.

ps: What are the lengths of the 12mm tubing? Any chance I could grab 2 lengths off of you if you have any left after your project?

Will save me the hassle of contacting Crane :tongue:

13. OP
    OP
    Saate

Saate Member

Thanks mate :) I've got about 10m all up of the 12.00mm stuff, someone else also expressed interest in some so I'll see what I've got left after the build is finished and also have a think about what I need for future builds. It's so much fun to work with (that sounds nerdy even to me) that I can't see myself going with normal tubing in future though.

With that said I suspect I won't go through very much for the the loop so I should have heaps left over, at the very least we can maybe look at doing another international (if Crane can't do it) order together or something.

Heatkiller GTX 680 (Nickel) blocks ordered yesterday - can't wait! :)

14. OP
    OP
    Saate

Saate Member

This really pisses me off.

15. mrbean_phillip

mrbean_phillip Member

Good stuff Mate, willing to split costs with you for IO.

Let me know, I will probably only need 3-4 m for this and future builds :) Much obliged!

16. OP
    OP
    Saate

Saate Member

Phew! Stelios from TheKoolRoom just emailed to say they're sending it out tomorrow and the remaining block when it comes in, happy now :)

17. mrbean_phillip

mrbean_phillip Member

Ah, Stelios' service is first-rate, I always enjoy dealing with them.

Top bloke :)

18. OP
    OP
    Saate

Saate Member

UPDATE - Loop design and first copper bends

Catching up on loop planning shots, I put the PC together with the modified midplate and a temporary plastic cover. The objectives of this exercise were to practice working with the copper pipe, test the look and feel of the loop and identify any copper-pipe specific issues presented.

For the copper pipe work I'll be using the 12.7mm Australian standard hard drawn pipe. That way I don't have to worry about wasting my precious 12.0mm pipe while learning.

Here's a shot of the PC with components in, the motherboard heatsink is removed for the moment while I'm modding it. The 8800 ultra card is just there to give me an idea of space while I'm waiting for video cards and waterblocks :)

[​IMG]

No, there won't be a rear exhausting 120mm fan - just attached one to get an idea of spacing if I end up wanting to have a rear intake. Pretty sure I don't though after this exercise.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Upgraded the front ports to USB3. I need to figure out if there's an easy way to modify the cable to connect directly to the motherboard header instead of the Corsair suggested method of running the USB cord out the back of the case and into the rear motherboard connector :/

[​IMG]

The cables fit comfortably even with the 480mm radiator in place. I suspect that might change once I add the slimline DVD drive in there, though! :)

[​IMG]

It was a fun learning experience, copper is fantastic to work with and looks pretty amazing. A few shots of my offcuts:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Here are the finished testing pieces I used:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

You can see a few different states of sanding/polishing in this shot:

[​IMG]

...and drumroll folks! Even though it's just temporary to help plan out the loop, here's the long awaited first shot of copper piping in the build itself! :) :) :)

[​IMG]

A few other testing shots:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Based on that testing I've figured out how I want the loop to run now, just received a new res and bought the 680s this weekend so will be doing additional bending with the 12.7mm piping to make sure I'll be happy with the final loop.

That's it for the moment, keen to hear what you guys think!

19. Creekin

Creekin (Taking a Break)

looking good mate :thumbup:

have u done any leak testing with the copper and the bp fittings?
    that long tube from the bottom of the case to the cpu for eg would have a bit of weight on it i would guess...perhaps twisting the end of the tube in the socket? :Paranoid:

20. c_hegge

c_hegge Member

Looking good.:thumbup:

I hate to burst anyone's bubble, but it's gonna make it a whole lot harder when you have to replace the motherboard or something like that :Paranoid: