Worklog: Massively (Update #65, 29th Nov – Final Pics + Aussie copper pipe fittings!)

Discussion in 'Modding Worklogs' started by Saate, Mar 29, 2012.

1. Creekin

Creekin (Taking a Break)

yeah was ek one...but still the whole "big lump of black" doesnt do it for me :weirdo:

2. Huggy_Bear64

Huggy_Bear64 Member

Last edited: Jul 26, 2012
  3. Creekin

Creekin (Taking a Break)

4. Huggy_Bear64

Huggy_Bear64 Member

Meh. 2 big lumps of black :thumbdn:

5. WishBone17

WishBone17 Member

can you two fags get a room, stop thread crapping Saate build log.

6. Huggy_Bear64

Huggy_Bear64 Member

We're just discussing which option for SLI linkage would be optimal for Mr Saate.

I reckon he should just buy both and see for himself :thumbup:
    They're not particularly pricey :Paranoid:

7. Creekin

Creekin (Taking a Break)

motel 6 on main rd into town
    room 201
    knock 3 times :Pirate:

8. OP
    OP
    Saate

Saate Member

Haha and the discussion is appreciated :) I was originally thinking of nickel-plated copper pipe to go between the cards using the SLI fittings (for once) for what they're intended for. Given my concern on potential sag/movement though I might have to reconsider that and look at the one-piece options. Hmmm!

..and provide the password "Ken sent me"?

9. Dumpty

Dumpty Member

10. Huggy_Bear64

Huggy_Bear64 Member

I agree, although I think this one looks better.

11. OP
    OP
    Saate

Saate Member

Good news! One of the guys doing the graduate certificate course I'm doing teaches refrigeration at a TAFE here in the ACT. Was talking to him about the rippling issue and potentially annealing the copper.

On the way to work this morning I stopped in and borrowed his pipe bender, it's the same kind as the one I have but probably better quality. I got home tonight and gave it a test - check it out:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Looks like this will help me with the bends for the loop which is a huge relief, one less thing to have to worry about :)

12. mrbean_phillip

mrbean_phillip Member

Hey Saate,
    Those bends are looking much better, and will save you time on overall effort.

I have always believed one should never take the cheap/easy route when buying tools, do your homework and buy the best you can afford at the time. Good quality tools will last a lifetime.

Looking forward to the rest of your build, going to be a great end-result.

13. WishBone17

WishBone17 Member

now HTFU and get this build finished :)

14. OP
    OP
    Saate

Saate Member

All things in time :)

UPDATE - Acrylic Work

Have been doing a bit of acrylic work lately, slowly getting the hang of it and really enjoying working with Acrylic. Some of you might remember the learning/practice DVD mount cutout I made:

[​IMG]

Have gotten a little better since :) Here's the next practice mount I've made, I'll probably redo it again one more time to be perfectly happy though. Started by printing the design from Solid Edge drafting software onto A4 sticker paper then cutting it out:

[​IMG]

Sticking it onto the Acrylic:

[​IMG]

Cutting it out with the scroll saw:

[​IMG]

Heh, this reminded me of the 'forever alone' guy :p

[​IMG]

Same again for the other piece, this time I realised I could cut the straight edges much faster (and straighter!) by using the dremel then cleaning the curves up with the scroll saw:

[​IMG]

Drilling and tapping:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Both pieces done:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Not too bad for the second go I think, lets see if it fits:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Thats it for the moment, have also been working on reservoir mounts and have some pics of the progress on those. Will post them up as I get time - have an ethics paper due Friday that I'm desperately trying to avoid writing :(

15. oculi

oculi Member

i'd strongly advise against wearing gloves when using any rotating/reciprocating/moving tools, they won't stop your fingers getting cut and can get caught up in the works and pull your hand in. Might not be an issue on a little scroll saw but its a good habit to get in to!

cuts look a bit neater, dress the edges with a file and they will be better.

16. OP
    OP
    Saate

Saate Member

Thanks for the tip mate :) have been a little wary on the scroll saw so far as I haven't experienced a blade breaking yet, just a bit cautious while I'm getting used to it I guess. Also need to sort out some kind of desk mounting for the dremel so I can put together some kind of jig to do this stuff neatly!

17. pieceofchance

pieceofchance Member

seriously, try the Dremel Trio, makes working with acrylic and wood a dream after a bit of getting used to, perfect beveled edging every time :thumbup:

18. OP
    OP
    Saate

Saate Member

Win :) Yeah I think I'll have to grab a Trio, looked at them a while back when I was getting the Dremel and I think its definitely going to be the solution I'm after. Looking at the videos it'd make adding fillport/etc holes a breeze! Thanks for the reminder mate!

UPDATE - More acrylic fun, reservoir mount design tests

A couple more shots of my acrylic foibles, this time experimenting with a reservoir holder. Dreaming of that Dremel Trio now to which will make stuff like this a breeze!

I followed the same process, printed the design onto A4 sticker and attached it to the acrylic. Then cut the acrylic out first with the dremel then with the scroll saw for the tricky bits:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Then drilled through the inner ring and used the scroll saw:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Clamped and tidied up with the dremel sander:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Still a bit rough, but getting there:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Bent, drilled and tapped:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Didnt realise it would be so easy to bend with the heat gun! Next time I'd put both sides of the bend inbetween wood or metal so I can make the bend sharper and more localized. Unfortunately I think its obvious the design doesnt look great in acrylic so I'll be throwing this one out - but it was a good learning experience :)

Let me know if you guys aren't terribly interested in seeing this stuff, although I decided not to use it in the build I figured its part of the journey/worklog so may not be too boring? Besides, I get awesome tips on next attempts so its been working well for me :p

19. Lennart5

Lennart5 Member

Obviously can't speak for all of us, but I love seeing these kinds of posts! Just like you said, you aren't going to use this in the final product, but it sure as hell is part of the journey!

Keep up the good work! :thumbup:

20. VirtualNinja

VirtualNinja Member

With such a build, it would almost be a crime not to have these journey posts. keep it up.

With the acrylic use wood blocks and sandwich clamp the acrylic.