Worklog: Massively (Update #65, 29th Nov – Final Pics + Aussie copper pipe fittings!)

Discussion in 'Modding Worklogs' started by Saate, Mar 29, 2012.

1. OP
    OP
    Saate

Saate Member

Yeah it's worth having extra lines or something like that I think. Balance is between prominently featuring it while maintaining an understated elegance. Will see how designs look later this week :)

2. Moptimus

Moptimus Member

The only time you will see it currently is when the fans are off?

and more about the logo - bug wing thing or whatever. Ditch the by part, but the massively, with the red circle and bug wings? something like that?

3. walker_2003

walker_2003 Member

By the time ur done the pc will be out of date lol

4. OP
    OP
    Saate

Saate Member

Nah the ROG logo on the motherboard heatsink will always be visible, when the motherboard is powered it's backlit which is why the need for transparencies/etc - if its just a plain sticker like on the fans the LEDs bleed through and it looks crappy, so going for transparent parts with single colours. I think I'll try for the MASSIVELY name and some kinda simple patterning amongst others, we'll see how it goes.

This build has been and is about learning over everything else for me, thats why I held off buying cpu/gpu until I needed them since I didnt want the cards sitting around for 6 months before they were used. My sli 460's have been covering gaming needs the last few years so I suspect the sli 680's will be a wonderful upgrade when I finish my graduate certificate and the build sometime in October :)

5. OP
    OP
    Saate

Saate Member

UPDATE – Midplate Hole Cuts

Here’s the cheap holesaw I picked up – mainly out of interest to see if it might work to cut my 70mm pump hole.

[​IMG]

I’ve got a piece of 600x600 black cast acrylic for the midplate, but before potentially ruining it with the holesaw I tested on the red acrylic I have. Created the 70mm hole really easily first go.

[​IMG]

Midplate piece clamped down to measure and cut the pump hole into. Even after testing it out, I really didn’t want to risk ruining the piece – eventually told myself to stop being a wuss :)

[​IMG]

Woohoo! The results:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Drilled through the holes for the bulkhead fittings so I could fit the trio in to widen them:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Testing the fit, a little too long on one end but thanks to 3coopers and my new tenon saw it was a simple job to neatly take a few mm off.

[​IMG]

Thought I’d test the variable hole saw to try cutting out a ring for some of my reservoir mount designs. The idea was to cut out the inner part first, extend the hole saw out further then cut again to have a ring shape left.

[​IMG]

First part done, inner ring cut out. I was a little off center with the first cut but that won’t matter since the enlarged hole will be off center by the same amount due to the guide hole.
    [​IMG]

It worked, and I ended up with a ring cutout but unfortunately the angled inside edge on the hole cutter resulted in a pretty crap finish. Oh well, was worth the experiment!

[​IMG]

I have a killer next couple of weeks – IT implementation projects at work and three papers to write to wrap up my grad cert uni course will drove me to the edge of sanity, that’s where I do my best thinking though so hopefully the updates won’t be impacted so much. We’ll see though :)

6. m3k

m3k Member

Yer got a 10k paper to write swell fml, loving the dangerous circular cutter... If one of those things slipped off it's gg

7. the3coopers

the3coopers Member

You have to flip the cutter blades around... the only cut square on 1 side.

Another tip - cut in from both sides, and you won't get any "tearing" on the exit side. This means you don't need to worry about clamping it down so hard (or at all)

So do it in 6 steps - set outside diameter, cut 1/2 way, flip over and cut all the way through, change cutters around and set inside diameter, cut half way, flip over and cut all the way through.

8. OP
    OP
    Saate

Saate Member

It's actually not too bad, sturdy enough that if it jammed it'd probably break the material before the sharp bit came loose. The really dangerous part though is the few times at first when the material cut free that my left hand instinctively started to move to grab the loose piece - that could end badly if you werent paying attention!

Yeah had thought about reversing the blades, but would probably only bother if I had a drill press for super accuracy. As it is I think I'll do the res holder stuff by hand or (more likely) send the job to an acrylics place once I figure it out.

Have so much work left to do on this financial management paper and really really struggling to get into it :/ I wonder if I should go organise the garage!

9. Rogue-X

Rogue-X Member

Got a question. Is there any chance the copper can be pressure pushed out of the SLI fittings.

10. OP
    OP
    Saate

Saate Member

Nah, none :) the SLI fittings have double o-rings inside and hold onto the 12mm pipe very tightly, like for example taking the loop apart you need to work carefully removing pipes from blocks to make sure you don't damage the board/res/gpu/cpu/etc - would take a hell of a lot of pressure to push them out through normal flow.

11. Dark Passenger

Dark Passenger Member

OMG i just realised who you are. Dude you where a god on the server in the day. It was proudmoore right?

12. OP
    OP
    Saate

Saate Member

Haha :) Originally played on Shadowsong from launch until moves to oceanic realms opened up and I transferred to Aman'thul for the last year or so that I played. Had some good times during the height of the game!

13. Dark Passenger

Dark Passenger Member

thats right i played on so many servers back then. The few times i saw you it was running in between the auction house and mailbox in ironforge. Did you ever make it to the gold cap?

14. OP
    OP
    Saate

Saate Member

Hah yeah, the old IF/Mailbox routine I ended up speaking to a lot of people so that fits perfectly :) Yep, made the gold cap! Post about it here:

and an interview I did about it:

So many good memories, funnily enough I don't miss it really - I've got the PC build and other things filling that gap now :)

15. OP
    OP
    Saate

Saate Member

Updated first post with thumbnails to specific updates since July

16. WishBone17

WishBone17 Member

have you made OCAU front page yet. Seriously it needs to! (if it hasnt)

17. Rogue-X

Rogue-X Member

I have looked but probably missed it, whats the wall thickness on the 2 different 12mm OD pipes.

18. OP
    OP
    Saate

Saate Member

Yeah Agg posted up a link in the first few weeks of the worklog, around Easter I think :) Once the 150k view 'surprise' goes up I might hassle him again though, just wait and see!

Around 0.7mm from memory, full tables on the EN 1057 standard pipe sizes/diameters at http://www.cranecopper.com.au/sizes/bsen1057.asp

19. CaidsTech

CaidsTech Member

SO.
    EXCITED.
    :lol:

20. OP
    OP
    Saate

Saate Member

UPDATE – Midplate, Build test and loop design

Still working away on these final two uni papers so havent had a tremendous amount of time for the build the last week, after this coming long weekend I’m done though! Since the last update I’ve put together a lot of the parts to see how things look and what the locations were like so that I can plan the final loop layout.

So where did we leave off? After creating and fitting the acrylic midplate cover I put the parts in to see how it’d look. The Acrylic rod you can see is just there temporarily for support:

[​IMG]

With the video cards and 8-pins in place, and reservoirs cable-tied in position while I was playing with ideas for placement/loop design. See how the acrylic midplate raises on the right/font? That’s because of two ‘bumps’ in the existing midplate I still need to get rid of. More on that in a second though :)

[​IMG]

Getting really nice feelings from seeing it all coming together like this:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I’ve decided I’m not happy with relocating the hotswap bay to the lower section of the case. Although it will fit and work I just don’t get a good feeling from it being there so am going to trust that instinct and design something from scratch to fit the drives in that area. With the hotswap no longer moving down there I’ll also recut the acrylic midplate piece to be completely rectangular instead of having the cutout piece you see on the right in the picture below. I actually took this pic to have a photo of the measurements I’d written on it – so just to clarify, Soothers have not come on board as a project sponsor :p
    [​IMG]

Since I’m going to have to redo the acrylic piece I decided to remove the protective cover to get a feel for how its going to look in the finished build. It also gave me the opportunity to practice flame polishing the edges without worrying too much about ruining the piece.

My propane torch, from what I’ve read I’ll get better results using a different gas/hotter flame but worth the practice anyway!

[​IMG]

Before:

[​IMG]

After – I think it’s a noticeable improvement so will definitely do the same thing on the recut piece. I did test it on some red offcuts and noticed it was really easy to discolour them, so it may just be I’ll need the different torch for acrylics other than black where that’s obvious.

[​IMG]

The unveiled piece back in place:

[​IMG]

Looking pretty nice I think:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The good thing about this process is I can see where power cables might get in the way of proposed loop layouts:

[​IMG]

This will definitely be part of the final loop, love the look/feel of this piece:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

..and another shot of the same thing, with the pump sleeved this time. Suzie actually gave me heaps of crap for not having sleeved it yet, told me it was unacceptable and had to be done immediately so I obliged :D

[​IMG]

…and to finish the update, the only other thing I’ve had too much of lately apart from uni study – Gin!

[​IMG]

Alain and Creekin have given me some good advice on loop design and layout lately so the next writeup will focus on my options there. Also 150k views is looming, have a nice surprise ready to go that I think you guys are going to like. Hope you're all well :)