Worklog: Massively (Update #65, 29th Nov – Final Pics + Aussie copper pipe fittings!)

Discussion in 'Modding Worklogs' started by Saate, Mar 29, 2012.

1. McNugget

McNugget Member

Haha see, you weren't kidding about the Ingots spicing up the photo. The damn things won you a new mouse!

Grats.

2. Sorry6

Sorry6 Member

Looks great so far, can't wait to watch the progress

3. OP
    OP
    Saate

Saate Member

CASE UPDATE - 800D First Looks

Wanted to share some of my early shots and first impressions of the case. After unboxing it I put the AX1200 PSU and Motherboard in so I could get a better feel for the available space and take some measurements to help with the cutting later on.

[​IMG]

Unboxed stock case with the corsair fans and shrouds removed. It's a pretty nice looking case with a lot of space to work with. I think the space and cable management possibilities were what originally enticed me toward starting to mod in the first place.
    [​IMG]

Side shot of the case - the amount of space the 5¼" optical drive bay takes up really pisses me off. Such a beautiful case and wait what..5 optical drive bays? granted you don't have to put stuff in them but that drive rack is still going to be there taking up space, taunting me. Let's see I could fit a 5¼" floppy drive, a 3½" floppy drive, a dvd drive, a drive bay toaster, a drive bay kitchen sink... :S I'll stop ranting and just accept that I'm going to have to modify that in this build! :)

[​IMG]

Did a couple of test designs for more stickers to replace the AX1200 stock ones, pretty happy with how they look. Kept all the pertinent data and added my purchase date to the bottom sticker for future reference. I nearly put "IF FOUND PLEASE RETURN TO: ______________" on the sticker at one stage - for some reason the idea of a power supply being 'lost' and needing that kind of labelling amused me greatly. My girlfriend rolled her eyes and hassled me, saying "Well at least you can amuse yourself!" - such a fantastic support team I have :p

[​IMG]

Even with well routed cabling behind the back panel I don't like the idea of cabling being hidden. I've seen some horrible shots of cables jammed in on 800D builds and I'm determined to hide nothing on this one - taking these shots gave me the idea to have a window on both sides of the case with a lot of the motherboard tray cut out, giving the case a more 'open' feel.

[​IMG]

Before getting stuck into cutting up the case I did a test fit to see what the power supply cable lengths were like. The 8-Pin CPU cable to the top of motherboard turned out to be a little short for comfort so will redo that one to custom length. Also took the space measurements around the motherboard and marked with tape so I can look at doing a custom motherboard plate to show off more of the cabling. Seems like it'd be a waste to conceal my cabling if its all custom length and sleeved. The test sticker on the PSU looks okay I think, need to adjust the sizing a little bit for the final version though. Has anyone removed stickers on their corsair PSU's before? I've seen worklogs where it's been done am wondering if they've changed the design - the ones on my PSU seem to not be stickers, almost like they're part of the metal so I'm not sure how to remove them cleanly.

[​IMG]

Another shot of the test fitting - the colour scheme looks really good to me, a winner I think so I'm happy!

[​IMG]

4. BrickTop

BrickTop Member

Do you have any of the fittings on hand? Does the 12.7 not fit inside the external locking nut of the bitspower fitting at all?

5. OP
    OP
    Saate

Saate Member

Yeah I have the fittings here, they're intended for the 12mm acrylic tube and based on them being secured by just the double o-ring its a hard 12mm fit :) so absolutely going to need to source the European standard pipe. That's going to be the subject of an entire update titled 'the copper pipe fiasco' I think!

Shot of the fittings for you:

[​IMG]

6. walker_2003

walker_2003 Member

lovin the custom stickers and really making this pc yours, subbed!

7. BrickTop

BrickTop Member

It doesn't look like there's any kind of locking mechanism whatsoever in those fittings which is interesting. It shouldn't leak though at the low pressures of a WC loop. The spout on most tapware is sealed in the same way using a double o'ring, and there are products of a similar nature that can handle mains pressure like Sharkbite fittings.

I'd recommend getting your hands on a deburrer like this though before attempting to insert the pipe into those fittings, file them externally and use some kind of lube.

It looks like your easiest option is going to be finding some of the 12mm OD tube. I'm not sure if you've tried a Reece store at all in your area but they supply Kembla copper rather than Crane, so you might have some more luck there, especially if you visit one of their HVAC branches who will be a bit more knowledgeable about this than the regular plumbing branch but I wouldn't hold my breath.

I had a quick look trying to find some alternative fittings but since your WC gear uses parallel threads its rather difficult as most brass fittings this size are tapered for gas use, and even then the best you'll find in a single fitting is 1/4" thread to 3/8" (~10mm) copper.

Good luck with it though, looks great so far.

8. OP
    OP
    Saate

Saate Member

Yeah precisely, no direct locking mechanism - I think you're right in that its not much of an issue but regardless I'll still be careful and not give it the opportunity (eg U-Bends) to come loose.

Good suggestion :) I actually have one of those sitting here that I got via eBay recently, havent used it yet though! I've decided to use the 12.7mm copper tube I've got for practicing. Even though it won't fit I'll be able to see what angles and routing are going to work best. Will help me get experience on using the bender and will save me wasting the precious 12mm stuff when I eventually get it.

Really appreciate your help, thanks for looking into alternative fittings :)

It's proving to be tricky tracking down the 12mm pipe. I'm feeling more and more like I'll need to pay someone in europe to buy it and ship to me, probably wont be cheap either. Funnily enough it makes me more committed to the copper piping than ever, the difficulty sourcing components means it will be all the more special in the end!

So far in AU I've tried a few local places plus:

• Crane Copper via Tradelink - These guys actually MAKE the european standard piperight here in Australia, they sell everything 15mm and above locally but for 12mm I'd have to buy a tonne :(
    • HVAC
    • Blackwood
    • Kembla
    • Reece Industrial Plumbing Supplies
    • Swagelok - Asked for a quote for some 12mm titantium alloyed tubing (0.30 galvanic corrision scale so acceptable alternative). Their site made me sign up to see the price only to tell me I needed to ask for a quote. I put in the quote request and had them call me to say they don't stock it even though its on their website, and that if I want some I'd have to order 300 meters minimum!

Sigh! Still trying though :)

9. OP
    OP
    Saate

Saate Member

Reddit Update - Thread has jumped to over 5000 views due to a mate posting a link on Reddit (Thanks Dale!) so figured a few new pictures were in order.

I've completed the 480mm radiator mod so far this weekend but need some time to process the pics and remember where I put my black pop rivets! I'll post that stuff up on Monday :)

Thought in the mean time I might share a small sleeving mod I did on the power cable. To reiterate the stickied post in the Electronics & Electrics forum this can be very dangerous and shouldnt be attempted without a qualified electrician. Fortunately I had my father-in-law around on this one :)

Stripping back the wires:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

After stripping back the wires and cutting the end off I sleeved the cord using MDPC red sata sleeving, then used a black replacement plug from bunnings. Using the replacement plug makes it a lot easier as you don't have to solder the wires together again and heatshrink. The result:

[​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 8, 2012
  10. Moptimus

Moptimus Member

Nice work on the sleeving there. Very interesting, sleeving the power cord.

I had a wee google and found this site, not sure if it is helpful, but they seem to sell uk stock 12 mm in aus. Probably fall into the whole minimum order schermozle, but worth a try.

Good luck with sourcing the tube you need.

11. RogersJ3

RogersJ3 New Member

Hey, registered just to post this, saw you on Reddit, etc. etc...I'm an engineering student in the US and the solution to your problem seems apparent to me (if you have access to the right tools and the material will handle it): put the copper tube in a lathe and turn off 0.7 mm of thickness for the length of engagement with the fittings. From your picture of the material earlier, I think you have enough room to take that much material off.

12. OP
    OP
    Saate

Saate Member

Thanks for checking that out mate, 12mm is the right size but its the hard drawn (not coiled) stuff I need. Hopefully with all the 50,000 odd views this thread has had in the last 24 hours someone will come forward to help :p

G'day! Huge thanks for registering just to help out :) Turning the pipe to remove the excess 0.7mm is definitely an option, a few guys earlier in the thread suggested it and so I'll keep it up my sleeve in case the hunt for the 12mm stuff doesnt work out. The 12.7mm tube walls are around 0.7mm thick so i'd be removing half the wall thickness so would need to make sure that wouldnt be a risk. Since I don't have a lathe I'd need to get someone to do it for me too and would need to make sure I know the exact lengths within my loop first. We'll see eh? :)

13. DNX

DNX Member

Would lathing and halving the wall thickness be a problem when it comes to bending any of the pipes?

14. BigDave

BigDave Member

Saate have you contacted Crane Copper directly? Surely they might have the ood length lying around maybe? Tradelink are hopeless imo.

15. MyDixiesNormous

MyDixiesNormous Member

You would only machine down the end of the pipe that interfaces with the fitting.

It would be a harder job in that you have to cut you length before bending and take into account bending radius and losses.

16. Reaper_1994

Reaper_1994 Member

This is sounding more and more interesting with every post. Subbed :)

Welcome to OCAU mate :) If you plan to help others here, make sure you read the forum rules here :thumbup: I hope you get any help that is needed :)

17. BrickTop

BrickTop Member

It would be an enormous pain in the arse to be honest. Plus, regular copper tubing i.e. Class B is only 0.9mm thick @ 1/2" (12.7mm OD), Class A is slightly more expensive and gives you 0.1mm extra to play with. I'm not sure how strong it'll be at those kind of thicknesses, you'll probably be fine, but if you don't insert that perfectly straight I can see some hacked up o rings.

Is it possible to remove some material from those fittings? I'm not familiar with the process but it looks like you've got a bit of material there to play with. Possibly even find some o rings with a smaller thickness to help out further.

How much would it cost to get some fittings machined from scratch? You need quite a few from the looks of it.

18. OP
    OP
    Saate

Saate Member

60,000 views!!! Can you believe it?! In half a day I've ousted the ghetto mod thread :p when I went to sleep on Saturday night the thread had just passed 5000 and I was pretty happy with that. Makes me extremely nervous that this is my first mod ever (read: I AM a newb!) and so many people are reading it!

Some of the other guys hit it head on - the main problem would be making sure I had the lengths spot on first. I'll get the 12mm copper tube, if its the last thing I do! :p

Totally agree! After they were looking into it for me I had to follow up about 8 calls (no exaggeration!). It was also Tradelink that nearly ordered me the 15mm stuff by mistake because they couldnt get the 12mm within Australia - not impressed by their customer service! I've been thinking about contacting crane directly actually, their website says they don't sell direct to public but it's gotta be worth a try. Funnily enough I actually did work experience for Crane enfield (with their IT guyS) about 16 years back - that's gotta count for something right? :p

Thanks mate :)

No idea on cost of getting them machined from scratch, maybe someone reading this can weigh in with ideas? I'd guess still probably more than getting 12mm copper shipped here from Europe though.

19. keano159

keano159 Member

Last edited: Apr 9, 2012
  20. OP
    OP
    Saate

Saate Member

Thanks for the tip! Fingers crossed that it's 12.0mm and that they haven't just left the .7mm off the description eh? I'll call them first thing in the morning to see :)