Worklog: Massively (Update #65, 29th Nov – Final Pics + Aussie copper pipe fittings!)

Discussion in 'Modding Worklogs' started by Saate, Mar 29, 2012.

1. m3k

m3k Member

NOOOOOOOOOO MY SNESSSSSSS

2. Doughboy

Doughboy Member

Im not sure what is better, the build or Vengeful Dissapproving Girlfriend :D

Nice work on both!!

3. Alby1976

Alby1976 Member

Ahhhh, vengeful disapproving girlfriend is great.

Good build too Saate.

4. OP
    OP
    Saate

Saate Member

Thanks mate, I often wonder the same thing :p

UPDATE – RAM Heatsinks

For some reason I’ve found it difficult to start writing an update the last few days. I figure the best way to start is to talk about the fact its been difficult to start. Clear as mud? Good – on with the update then!

I’ve been working away on a few different components of the build and although I’ve documented a fair bit (over 100 new pictures) I hadnt felt like there was enough progress on any of the individual elements to justify the narrative. Got a good bit of work done over the weekend though so I think we’re back on track.

I’ve mentioned before that I was looking at options to paint the Corsair Dominator RAM fins, and it’s that element I’ll talk about today. A while back through the trades forum and eBay I bought 5 old/broken DDR Dominator RAM sticks so I could take them apart and experiment on the fins without worrying too much about ruining them. Here’s one of them:

[​IMG]

..and with the fins removed:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

There’s a layer of thermal compound underneath each of the fins that will need to be replaced:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I wasn’t sure what kind of coating was on the heatsink fins so tested sanding one of the pieces. It seemed to come off pretty easily and was nice to see the base metal underneath.

[​IMG]

While its easy to sand the sides getting inside those fins is going to be problematic! I read that oven cleaner is useful for removing anodising and paint so I figured it was worth a try. I wasn’t sure if it’d eat into the metal or damage it so continued the testing on my poor sacrificial ram fin.

[​IMG]

It worked really well! In researching this I’d read that the oven cleaner could potentially react with the aluminium and damage it if it wasn’t neutralised. I tested it in small doses at first and rinsed the heatsinks in vinegar/water afterwards to neutralise, although I have a feeling the doses/times I’ve been working with arent big enough to begin to really damage the metal. Especially since I’m sanding it further afterwards – happy to be corrected, but the results are quite pleasing so far! Here’s a shot of the original, a stripped piece and a sanded piece:
    [​IMG]

I found that a combination of rubber gloves and a steel brush worked wonders for removing a majority of the paint quickly:

[​IMG]

After stripping four of the heatsinks back to metal and a little gentle sanding I wanted to see how they’d look back on the sticks. Remember these are still my sacrificial test pieces I’m playing with so no need to panic :) Also thought if they looked crap it’d save me from the odious task of cleaning up the residue left inbetween all the fins and polishing in there. Here’s how they look:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

For an unpolished finish I’m pretty taken with the look – I think polished up they’ll look amazing, and probably a little uniquer than spraypainting them back to one of the stock Corsair colours you see in every build. What do you guys think?

That’s it for today! I have progress on the DVD mount to post up at some stage soon too. Will see how I go working on it this week :)

5. Creekin

Creekin (Taking a Break)

:thumbup:
    looks leet
    and nice protip on the oven cleaner :leet:

6. xRdawGz

xRdawGz Member

Whoa, looks nice! Let me know if you have any leftover fins you don't/won't need. Might take them off you, all the more reason to go out and buy some dominator kits. :lol:

7. brayway

brayway Member

Looks great!
    Much better than seeing one of the standard colours :)

8. VirtualNinja

VirtualNinja Member

Those sinks look so much better now
    ps I think you should revisit the silver labels idea.

9. OP
    OP
    Saate

Saate Member

Thanks fellas :) I'm relieved you both like the look!

Thanks, will do :) Presuming I don't screw up any of them during the polishing process (thats a big presumption eh? :p) I may end up with 5 left over. I originally wanted to buy the extended red fins but the fact they come in 3-packs and would cost $40 in shipping alone made me take this route - really glad I did too! :)

Mate absolutely! Although the sides wont be as obvious in the finished build I was thinking I might have to review the white stickers I tested for the ram earlier on, I think the right balance of light colours and/or maybe silver could look great. I think I'll order some of that stuff tonight - thanks for the reminder!

10. WishBone17

WishBone17 Member

does look good. however since you going all copper and what not, you gotta get a waterblock on the ram.

11. BigDave

BigDave Member

Copper coating the heat sinks would look sexy :thumbup:

12. Dumpty

Dumpty Member

+1 to that idea, although shinny silver would look amazing thats lined with white LEDs in-between.
    Edit: Also like Virtual Ninja said redoing those labels would be the cherry on the cake.

Last edited: Oct 22, 2012
  13. F3L1X

F3L1X Member

I may for some reason be a darker gentleman in that comic, but that's awesome :thumbup:

14. m3k

m3k Member

its okay, im jealous of your tan, I'm white as an albino snowflake,

i really like the aluminum head-spreader tops, since you have nickel blocks and aluminum heat spreaders, ever consider painting the copper tubing for a uniform color-scheme also to avoid oxidization?

15. OP
    OP
    Saate

Saate Member

Meh! Not too fussed about cooling the mobo/ram/hdd/ignition array/fuel tank/etc this time round :)

I think nickel-plated pipe and the polished silver ram fins will be an awesome combination :) Illuminating the RAM from between the blocks is a really interesting idea, I'll definitely have a play with that to see if I can diffuse the light enough to have it not look trashy. Good suggestion thanks!

:p If any of you guys are interested Mike can cartoon just about anything you like and charges way less than his talent deserves. You can check out the rest of his stuff and contact him via No Dice.

Speaking of - it's Tuesday so here's episode 4!

[​IMG]

16. Creekin

Creekin (Taking a Break)

:lol:
    looks just like him too! :thumbup:

this is better than misc pics friday :D

17. pieceofchance

pieceofchance Member

Lovin' it.

And, oh look - Creekin is banned again... I guess it is a Wednesday...

18. Kommandant33

Kommandant33 Member

I was just thinking that...

What did he say now?

BTW - I have made it in life....

.... I have made it into vengeful girlfriend..... :Pirate:

19. Chrysilis

Chrysilis Member

Hiyoooo!

20. Alby1976

Alby1976 Member

That was great. :thumbup: