Worklog: Massively (Update #65, 29th Nov – Final Pics + Aussie copper pipe fittings!)

Discussion in 'Modding Worklogs' started by Saate, Mar 29, 2012.

1. pieceofchance

pieceofchance Member

she still decides to run off with me in the end...

2. OP
    OP
    Saate

Saate Member

UPDATE - DVD Mount Work

I've realised I'm kinda running out of time with my Nov 22 South America trip rapidly approaching! Time to step things up a bit, if not the polish I'm going to aim to have the build finished and the machine running by the time I leave.

Have been in Sydney this weekend to see family since I won't be here for Christmas, and will be heading up again next weekend to see the rest. So I've resolved to spend some of this travel-time writing updates :)

To create a mount for the slot loading DVD drive to eject through the top of the case I've been playing with the optical drive bay that I previously took out. Those of you following from the start will probably remember me ranting about how much I despised its presence in the case - time for revenge!

Here's the optical drive bay as it looked when I took it out:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I only need part of the drive bay for this, so clamped it down to bend the other side and enable me to get in there with the dremel.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Ready for the cut, I enjoyed torturing this piece a bit too much :)

[​IMG]

..and after some attention with the dremel the piece I want is free:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Cleaned up the edge with a file:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I picked up some paint-based marker pens a few weeks back that are really good for cleaning up edges, after a few coats on the freshly cut edge here's what the piece looks like:

[​IMG]

Seeing how the DVD drive lines up and making sure my earlier measurements weren't off space-wise. Looks like they weren't, thankfully!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

While I had the drive in place I used a white pencil to make an outline on the metal to give me an idea of what needed to be removed:

[​IMG]

Holding up part of the acrylic drive mount I made to figure out how ill fasten it to the finished piece:

[​IMG]

I can see that another half of the piece can be removed from the bottom, I'll hold off doing that until the mounting pieces are figured out though just in case! Here's a shot of the mount with acrylic piece sticky-taped on just to give you an idea of where it'll fit inside the case:

[​IMG]

and another shot from the other side, looking up, that panel-holding rail is going to need to come out too.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

That's where I'll leave it for this update. I've realised that the L-shaped piece will probably look fine on the reverse side of the case but from the windowed side will probably look a bit weird, thinking of what options I have for alternatives...maybe even just a square black cover to conceal it? I can work on funky designs but main concern is i don't want anything that might steal attention. Any thoughts?

3. WishBone17

WishBone17 Member

is there any need for dvd/bd drive intodays day and age, and if you do, just get yourself a USB powered external one, pack it away when you dont need it,

its pretty much what i do, optical drives are a thing of the past. move on my friend. (imo)

4. the3coopers

the3coopers Member

Almost every game that my kid plays requires a DVD disc to be in the drive. Having a portable drive hanging off the machine is ugly and annoying!

Whilst in my own machine I only use optical media every month or so, in my kid's gaming machine the optical drive is used many times each day. Yet my kid never uses USB sticks, so should I remove the the USB slots?

Gotta remember that some people NEED to use an optical drive, so having one built in makes things much easier. ;)

5. Ka0sX

Ka0sX (Banned or Deleted)

If i require a DVD i just plug in my Samsung External When not using it i just put it to one side, Takes all of 30secs to get it and plug it in,

I use Flash Drive to install windows, Much easier and cleaner

Cant stand to see an optical drive in pc anymore

But yeah i guess some people still like to have it installed, If you do alot of ripping movies

Great build Saate

6. Creekin

Creekin (Taking a Break)

wot he said :thumbup:
    yes! kids shove things in them and break them all the damn time :mad:

and u stfu grandpa! uve still got a 5.25 FLOPPY! :lol:

7. BeanerSA

BeanerSA Member

I used to use MagicISO or daemon-tools type things to avoid digging out the discs. I'm a steam fan these days.

8. the3coopers

the3coopers Member

My kid who wants to play games and knows the disc is required is VERY careful to not break things. ;)

I told you already - that is an iOmega ZIP 100, not a floppy :lol: :lol:

9. Kommandant33

Kommandant33 Member

A what in the what now?

[​IMG]

10. 5tumpy

5tumpy Member

I would have agreed with you, until I tried to install Windows on my newly-modded Shinobi XL, now sans DVD drive... My Gigafail X58-UD3R won't boot from a USB drive... The flash drive works fine on my laptop, so it's not that, but I get this bizarre error message when I try to boot from USB... Haven't tried my external ODD yet, as I can't find the fucking thing, it must be in storage somewhere!

Saate, looks almost as good as your missus does! :thumbup: :lol:

11. OP
    OP
    Saate

Saate Member

Yeah exactly this dude - that was the whole point of my earlier rants - why take up so much of the case with that many optical drive bay slots when most of us get by without using any! I'm not really doing this part of the mod to have an optical drive - mainly just doing it do challenge myself with the unusual mounting :)

Thanks mate :)

Yeah same for me! Its even to the point where if I want to play an old game its easier for me to pay a few bucks and buy it on steam than it is to dig out the old cds and do it that way.

12. Creekin

Creekin (Taking a Break)

i was talkin about ya other 5.25 floppy :weirdo:
    theres ya problem :p

13. Dumpty

Dumpty Member

I remember your advice...

*bought a gigabyte again
    DAMIT

:upset:

14. c_hegge

c_hegge Member

^
    I only ever buy Gigabyte.
    ASUS = Always Seriously UnStable. I also hate those new DIMM slots with 1 clip

@Saate. Nice job as usual. Keep the updates coming.

15. Creekin

Creekin (Taking a Break)

:lol: glwt :Paranoid:

16. OP
    OP
    Saate

Saate Member

Thanks mate, although I might suggest it looks a little better :p

Thanks mate :)

Latest episode for you guys, another update later on too:

[​IMG]

17. Ka0sX

Ka0sX (Banned or Deleted)

Awesome saate

18. the3coopers

the3coopers Member

The comic is causing me anxiety... what is going to happen next :shock:

19. Dingostolemyghz

Dingostolemyghz Member

hahaha classic! that's so spot on
    leaning back hands on head is how i often listen to music (checks for hidden cameras)

20. OP
    OP
    Saate

Saate Member

UPDATE – DVD Mount Continued

Did a little more work on the concealed DVD mount, but first checkout what I picked up for $99! I don’t have an immediate use for it but after eyeing off the larger versions for a while I couldn’t resist the purchase when I saw the smaller version at a good price:

[​IMG]

Opened up to replace the stock 3.5mm saw with a 10mm version I bought for straighter cuts. Took me so long to get it in and tracking properly, but finally got it right – better to take your time with these things I think!
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

..and a quick test:

[​IMG]

Back to the build :) So for this DVD mounting mod I realised I need to remove the rail the holds the right/back case panel in place, this is the one I’m talking about:

[​IMG]

The rail has a button on one end and is fixed by three screws and pins on the other end:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

With the screws removed I just had to apply a little bit of pressure and the rail was free:

[​IMG]

With the rail removed there’ll be room for the DVD drive to mount facing up through the top of the case. Here’s a shot with the rail gone, the white pencil marks are the outline of where the DVD drive will be fixed:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I decided to be a little unscientific with the cuts on this one, rather than measure the opening I wanted to cut and copy the outline to the other side I clamped the piece down and made a quick cut just inside the line. That way I could turn it around for the rest of the cutting and open the rest out with a file. Here’s the piece clamped down:

[​IMG]

The cut is made:

[​IMG]

Flipped the piece around and cut the opening:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I ended up moving the piece again to do the corner cut. Ideally I would have liked to cut it from the inside but the angle was too awkward for the dremel.

[​IMG]

A look at the cut from the inside, you can see there’s plenty of excess left inside the outline to file up to:

[​IMG]

I used my white pencil to mark the area that needed filing then removed it and checked the fit:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Even though this opening is not going to be visible in the finished build I cleaned up the edges a little with a black paint-marker:

[​IMG]

With the DVD drive in place:

[​IMG]

So I was pretty happy with the cut, and the fit was nice, then I fixed the piece back into the case to check for fit and realised that for some reason in my head I’d imagined the piece would be flush up against the top of the case inside. Instead as you can see in the next pic there’s an appreciable gap there:

[​IMG]

This is not a huge issue but one I’ll need to think about. I can either drill new holes into the piece to fix it higher in the case or just mount it in the original spot and push the DVD drive a little higher through the hole I’ve cut. I think I’d prefer to mount the piece higher in the case but if other parts (eg the MB tray) line up with the piece in a tidy way at the moment then I won’t break the symmetry however visible it is in the finished build.

I’ll think about it and get back to you guys in the next update :) Hope you’re all well!