Worklog: Massively (Update #65, 29th Nov – Final Pics + Aussie copper pipe fittings!)

Discussion in 'Modding Worklogs' started by Saate, Mar 29, 2012.

1. pieceofchance

pieceofchance Member

where's the band saw from? me wanty...

... and the only way there *could* be a twist with the comic at this point is if she beds me... go on... *what a twist!*

2. Creekin

Creekin (Taking a Break)

$99 bandsaw eh... :Paranoid:

glwt

3. Gonadman2

Gonadman2 Member

My P5Q-Deluxe has been a pillar of stability running overclocked CPU's its entire life. The Crosshair V Formula I recently picked up feels just as solid.

4. OP
    OP
    Saate

Saate Member

The bandsaw was from Bunnings, marked down from $160ish I think because it was the last one they had in that particular store. I'd been considering the 230mm version which was $269 and had know idea there was a little 150mm version - so the fact it existed, and was on special, made it a pretty easy decision! :)

I'm sure for the right price Mike could be convinced to do some alternative endings for you :D

5. OP
    OP
    Saate

Saate Member

Nice twist as our heroine takes out 3coopers this week :)

[​IMG]

Have been experimenting with lighter coloured ram stickers and polishing the ram fins this week. Have a nice amount of free time in the next two weeks so looking forward to more work - next update soon!

6. Kommandant33

Kommandant33 Member

Far out - This build is epic, but epic is an understatement for this build log. I wouldn't care if in the end you get a h100, spray the tubing a copper colour and chuck it in a mangled 800D - the thread has already delivered, multiple times.

7. OP
    OP
    Saate

Saate Member

Thanks mate, and don't think I havent thought about it :p

8. Kommandant33

Kommandant33 Member

Don't give up!

9. the3coopers

the3coopers Member

LOL - well I nearly had her covered, and almost saved my remaining mates :mad:

OK, so who's left to defend OCAU's honour?

10. pieceofchance

pieceofchance Member

/dons cape

/wang dance!

11. Huggy_Bear64

Huggy_Bear64 Member

Uhhh, hi.

I suppose I didn't get invited to the party, huh? :(

:lol:

12. m3k

m3k Member

she left Felix and I alive, But they took so many of you out we might have to do something about it.. something involving pterodactyls and rockets and lasers *ahem*

Last edited: Nov 8, 2012
  13. F3L1X

F3L1X Member

:Pirate:

10char

14. OP
    OP
    Saate

Saate Member

Updated first post with thumbnails to recent updates, and here's a teaser for longer update coming soon!

[​IMG]

15. harrye30

harrye30 Member

Hmm, so your using the brown and light blue for polishing the copper? I always thought your best bet would be to use the light green. I use it for finishing up aluminium and plastic surfaces to bring it to a great shine. Watching out to see how this comes up :D, also. The grey bar you can get is a fairly heavy cutting compound which is good for getting rid of deeper scratches quickly :thumbup:

16. OP
    OP
    Saate

Saate Member

In this case for polishing the ram heatsinks, so aluminium not copper - although I did get a set of 6 bars so any tips on the others are appreciated, I've sanded the heatsinks pretty finely but interesting to note about the grey for deeper stuff!

17. harrye30

harrye30 Member

Bear with me. It's been about 8 months since I finished dad's show car (holy shit that was a lot of polishing)

The best way I found to get a mirror finish to the piece is to start at 600grit and work upwards, always in a x-hatch so as to be able to see when you've sanded out the deeper scratches from the last set of paper. I went all the way to 1200 grit. When you get to 1200, sand straight up and down your piece (if it was a rocker cover from the car you'd go length ways.) The reason for this is when you polish you go perpendicular to the last set of sanding you did (so vertically across a rocker cover laid horizontally). I found that using the grey compound followed by white and finally green managed to get the best shine for the amount of time. I also invested in a bunch of these (overkill for a heatsink though - http://www.eastwood.com/greaseless-compound-set-of-4.html). You will have to do a few passes with the polish. If the polish starts to turn black off the wheel (as it does on almost all the time) drop your rpm back a slight amount on the dremel, remove the wheel from the piece and use a small wire brush to clean any excess off the buffing wheel (normally you'd use a rake for a bench mounted grinder, even a small flat head screw driver worked for me on my dremel) reapply your greased compound and keep going at it. Interested to see how it turns out.

Goodluck.

18. the3coopers

the3coopers Member

If you use the dremel and a wheel and aggressive compound, you will probably get "dents" in the surface.

Think about how you would lap a CPU - you certainly wouldn't use a dremel ;)

Put a "rag" over a block of wood or cork, put the compound onto it and then rub the Ram sink onto that surface.

Just use the wheel for the fiddly stuff. Or the very fine polishing at the end. For anything that is flat, use a flat surface to polish it or at least to do the "grunt work".

Flat polishing surface = maximum mirror effect. :thumbup:

If the compound you have is intended for high speed wheels, etc, then buy a tube of Metachrome as it will cut at low (hand) speed. Also note metachrome is a disaster when it gets hot, so don't use it with a wheel.

If you want, I can do a demo to explain what I mean.

19. OP
    OP
    Saate

Saate Member

UPDATE –DVD Mount Finished and some shots of RAM Heatsinks

This will be a kinda lengthy update, lot of work and not quite sure what to cut/not-cut so lets see how she ends up! So I’ll start with work on the RAM Heatsinks and some of the polishing. To save some time getting rid of the bits and pieces of crap left inside the fins I clamped them together:

[​IMG]

Then fin-by-fin went through with some sandpaper:

[​IMG]

After that I wet-sanded the sides/top/ends with 1000 grit and gave the profit polishing bars a try – applying brown with one wheel and blue with another to finish up.

[​IMG]

One of the frustrating things about taking shots of these is the camera doesn’t do the shine justice on these relatively small shapes. Rest assured the finish is quite magnificent!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

One of the ‘fun’ things about polishing heatsink fins is that the process deposits compound in-between the fins, so after the outside is shining I have to go back and clean the gunk from inside every fin again. I came up with a way to do this fairly easily with a few pop-rivets and some shoelaces (think McGuyver).

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

..and finally a few shots outside to (try) to better demonstrate the shiny:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Still need to tidy up inbetween the fins in a few spots, but I’m happy that they’re looking pretty nice! Now on to more important things – like the finished DVD mount! So this is where we left it last time, I’d cut the opening into the top of the old optical drive bay part:

[​IMG]

Since the disc will eject through the top of the case I wanted to be very very careful with my measurements on this since a cut in the wrong place would be very visible in the finished product. I created a little test-bench and powered the drive to get a clear picture on the movement and clearance required for the disc:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Drive removed, the next step is to get rid of the excess material on the mounting piece. Here I’ve used a white pencil to mark out the outline of the drive.

[​IMG]

I get the idea to match the shape of the DVD drive to the mounting piece which I think will look nice, so mark out the angle for cutting:

[​IMG]

Clamped down, I’ll do a rough cut first then file down to the line I want:

[​IMG]

Wow that IS rough! :)

[​IMG]

This shot gives you an idea of the excess I’m going to cut out to get the final shape:

[​IMG]

Excess removed, but unfiled:

[​IMG]

Now after some filing its looking a little cleaner:

[​IMG]

Touched up the edges with black paint-marker, it’s still wet in this shot which is why it stands out a bit more:

[​IMG]

Strapped in for another mounting test, really happy with look of the DVD drive/mount together!

[​IMG]

Here’s what it looks like in the 800D:

[​IMG]

So that’s all fine, but at this stage I realise I’ve been avoiding the scary case-cutting business :p Time to measure fifty million times and make the cut. I popped a CD into the drive and compared where I’d measured that the opening should be to where the DVD drive thought the opening should be – it’s a match! Phew! :p
    [​IMG]

Sacrificial cutting-guide in place to limit the damage I can do making this opening:

[​IMG]

Progressing carefully:

[​IMG]

Done!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I've got a few tweaks left to make it perfect, but I'm pretty happy with the outcome - it looks and works as I'd hoped, not bad eh? :)

Last edited: Nov 12, 2012
  20. Creekin

Creekin (Taking a Break)