Worklog: Massively (Update #65, 29th Nov – Final Pics + Aussie copper pipe fittings!)

Discussion in 'Modding Worklogs' started by Saate, Mar 29, 2012.

1. OP
    OP
    Saate

Saate Member

Give this man a beer!

UPDATE - Putting it all together

So I've begun putting the build together to do the final copper work for the loop. Here's some progress on what I've done.

Cut a piece of the 12.0mm pipe (the real stuff!) and filed off the sharp outer edge to avoid damaging the double o-rings in the bitspower fittings:

[​IMG]

The piece with the fittings attached:

[​IMG]

and the piece in place, that 3mm black acrylic is such a dust magnet! Hopefully once I've closed the case it'll be less of an issue:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Another piece in progress, bending done and working through sanding/polishing:

[​IMG]

Still rough:

[​IMG]

Getting there:

[​IMG]

Polishing:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

In place:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I'll leave it there for tonight. Had an amazing day today hiking up to 5000m elevation on the Chimborazo Volcano then mountain biking down 30km, very nearly damaged myself badly at one point when we were onto the road portion. Took a corner while absolutely flying and hit a pothole, was able to reduce my speed enough that when I collided with the barrier it only took a chunk out of my goretex and bruised my arm - close! Insanely fun just the same though :p Will leave you with a few pics:

Feeling satisfied after making it to 5000m:

[​IMG]

..and the ruined goretex, oh noes!

[​IMG]

2. Carcin0Genic

Carcin0Genic Member

Nice bends in those pipes. What are you using to bend them?
    I can see super sayan coming on....

3. WishBone17

WishBone17 Member

polish job looks wicked.
    i hope it stays like that for a while, as we all know what happens to copper (green and shit)

nice work and nice hike!

4. Kommandant33

Kommandant33 Member

Those pipes look amazing! I can't believe the shine you have gotten out of them!

"I eat pieces of chance like you for breakfast..."

"You eat pieces of chance for breakfast?!"

5. pieceofchance

pieceofchance Member

Holy crap that looks nice... though I can't help but see that pump and still wonder...

6. brayway

brayway Member

Looks fantastic!

7. m3k

m3k Member

spray clearcoat on the copper after you polish its going to go green fast if you dont.

8. the3coopers

the3coopers Member

Awesome - I just have to say that the pipes look SOOOooooo much better than poxy clear PVC tubing. :thumbup:

If you want a cool look, you could always electroplate them. I have always loved the look of nickel plating, plus it sticks like shit to a blanket over copper.

9. Doughboy

Doughboy Member

Nice!

Have to be extremely precise with the tube lengths!

10. Moptimus

Moptimus Member

That pipe is awesome. Glad to see that you are getting so close to the end and managing to not kill yourself whist downhill biking. It is nice to see the rewards from the planning that has gone into this computer.

Also, nice to feature in the comic.

11. OP
    OP
    Saate

Saate Member

Thanks mate :)

Thanks, using a standard half inch pipe bender and lots of napkin calculations :) there's a pic of the bender I use in one of the earlier updates, should be a link in first post I think.

Thanks fellas! You know I'm really keen to experience the fast green, I've got a feeling it won't tarnish so bad after the brown/blue polishing compounds have gone on. I'm still planning on nickel-plate but if I don't it'll get a clear coat anyway, but as an experiment ill post a picture of what it looks like when I get home after 6 weeks away :)

Thanks mate, but you ain't seen nothin yet!

She'll be right, mate :p

Cheers, and yeah plating is the way to go I think - wondering if I should plate the ram heatsinks too?

Hah yes, it's been a learning experience! Always best to cut too long rather than too short, and in coming updates ill share some of the 'techniques' ive developed to manage this :)

Thanks mate :)

12. the3coopers

the3coopers Member

Whilst it's not a "mirror-like" finish, a proper commercial-grade "satin nickel" electroplating really looks professional. Often these are not really nickel at all, but a modified chrome-type plating that emulates nickel. You'd know it from door handles, kitchen cabinet fittings, etc. It's still 100% smooth and requires polishing before plating, but it's not a mirror like chrome, and also doesn't reflect that blue tinge.

I've always worked with Astor Plating in Sydney, and their range of finishes is truly amazing. You can get golden-coloured plating that doesn't tarnish, black chrome, etc.

Maybe you should pop out to Electroplating Technology in Queanbeyan (Everylast in Fyshwick seem to have a bad name for quality) and see what samples they can show you. Dunno if the ACT-area gues have the same range of finishes (each of which will need a separate tank, hence why only the biggest electroplaters can do a wide colour range)

13. OP
    OP
    Saate

Saate Member

Thanks mate, will make a few calls around when I get home in Jan :)

Time for another travel update! I'm on a 10 hour bus trip in Peru as I write this, travelling from Trujillo to Lima. The bus is pretty swish, feels like a first class flight more than a bus and it has wifi - woot :p

UPDATE - More copper work

Dropped the CPU into the board, perhaps one of the most obvious casualties of the time I've taken on this build! Didn't get a shot of the thermal compound and heatsink placement because meh - just use your imaginations :p

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

For a lot of the bending work I've had the case on its side - something that for some bizarre reason I've never done before - which makes life a lot easier! Since the 480mm radiator isn't in the case at the moment I've got the grills held in place with painters tape:

[​IMG]

After seeing how well the last piece of pipe polished up I decided the res-midplate piece needed to be polished up again, properly this time. I've been working out ways to streamline the polishing, one of which is using a pencil to hold straight pieces. That way I can easily roll/rotate it while sanding and polishing - here's the reworked piece, sanding with 500 grit:

[​IMG]

Stepping up to finer grit, 1000 I think in this shot:

[​IMG]

Brown polishing compound:

[​IMG]

Blue polishing compound:

[​IMG]

Back in place, didn't get a close up shot for some reason though. In this shot I've started to put other components back in, MB in place with ram and the custom heatsinks. They still need custom stickers but ill get to that, and I'm not entirely happy with the lack of shine on the heatsinks - the obviously visible parts between the fins didn't get polished well enough so ill need to attend to that, wondering if nickel-plating them with the pipes might solve that?

[​IMG]

Video cards in place:

[​IMG]

I'd originally planned to use two reservoirs in the build but scrapped the idea, now having the case sideways while I put components in has given me an idea:

[​IMG]

Lines up almost perfectly:

[​IMG]

That's it for this update, I'll leave you with two amusing pics from yesterday. We visited some temple sites here in Peru and the locals have either been reading the worklog and know vengeful disapproving girlfriend, or they're not used to seeing white folk so much - it was like this the whole day!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Hope you guys are well, keep the comments coming - I look forward to reading them every time I find wifi.

14. Creekin

Creekin (Taking a Break)

those poor kids...their too young to die! :upset: :Pirate:

15. Dumpty

Dumpty Member

Dayum it looks amazing! Coming along nicely.
    I think you might have to do a season 2 of Vengeful Disapproving Girlfriend if these photos get Photoshop'ed. well at least now you have plot line :Pirate:

16. c_hegge

c_hegge Member

Love the attention to detail, as usual. Keep it coming mate. :thumbup:

17. Dingostolemyghz

Dingostolemyghz Member

Some of those peruvian chicks must not have realised movember is over already.

Also i reckon you should be able to get those heatsinks nice and shiny without too much trouble. try polishing them with a toothbrush, just a cheap, soft, straight bristled type.

18. the3coopers

the3coopers Member

ROFL - that reminds me of Madonna's daughter...

Click to view full size!

That won't work very effectively - you need friction, and that ain't gunna happen with a soft bristle brush. :lol:

The best way may be to get them chemically brightened, or bright anodised. However if they are getting nickel plated then it'll all sort itself out in the plating tank.

The ridges could be smoothed off using folded strips of Wet And Dry, or even a diamond plate (which is what I use for lapping CPUs)... the surface need not be "polished shiny" in order to come out shiny if there is brightening, anodising or plating.

Last edited: Dec 10, 2012
  19. Dingostolemyghz

Dingostolemyghz Member

that's what the polish is for. i've done it, it works well getting into hard to reach places

20. the3coopers

the3coopers Member

OK, if that works for you then that's great. Seems you have found a way to polish metal that doesn't require a dremel or other machine running at 30,000rpm and a buffing pad, so you could probably make money from patenting that idea. :p