Worklog: Massively (Update #65, 29th Nov – Final Pics + Aussie copper pipe fittings!)

Discussion in 'Modding Worklogs' started by Saate, Mar 29, 2012.

1. Creekin

Creekin (Taking a Break)

mesmerizing :wired:

2. pieceofchance

pieceofchance Member

my, oh my... things have gotten real now...

and gdi its too large for an avatar!

3. the3coopers

the3coopers Member

Never say never...

[​IMG]

...but I just tried - animated doesn't work for avatars :(

4. pieceofchance

pieceofchance Member

needs to be under 19.5 KB somehow...

EDIT: but if you removed too many frames it would look too much like bad pron I recon...

5. Creekin

Creekin (Taking a Break)

i think i see where this is going..and i like it :weirdo:
    theres no such thing as bad pron :weirdo:

6. OP
    OP
    Saate

Saate Member

That animation is the best thing ever :) Reminds me of early 90s Leisure Suit Larry!

7. pieceofchance

pieceofchance Member

Ken Sent Me

8. OP
    OP
    Saate

Saate Member

Big points for you :) I remember seeing tshirts with that on it ages ago, might have to search around again!

9. OP
    OP
    Saate

Saate Member

Hola! Hope you've all had a good Christmas and New Years and are doing well. We've just finished a week in Buenos Aires, Argentina and are now back in Santiago for the day before finally heading home tonight. It's been an amazing trip!

This will be the last update before I'm home, but considering I've been away for over about 6 weeks I think we've done pretty well eh? :)

UPDATE - Pipe bending #268 (give or take)

So in this update I wanted to share the method I've been using to measure and bend the pipes effectively enough to not waste my precious 12.0mm OD copper pipe. Measuring from A to B in a straight line is easy enough, but throw in two bends of indeterminate angle and it gets much harder!

The piece of pipe connecting the CPU-Out to the Reservoir was particularly tricky like that. Since the length of pipe needed for the connection was reasonably long I took care to measure things up about 1000 times and think them through just as much, I really didn't want to waste any copper. I should point out here that I'm sure there are easier ways to do this! For me this is what worked and what I know I can repeat, figuring out how to do it more efficiently is all part of the fun :)

I started with a 1m length of copper pipe and put a single bend in it, just past 90 degrees to allow the pipe to come back in closer to the motherboard but not too far that it'd clip the ram on the way. This is fairly safe as I can use the pipe cutter to remove parts of the pipe connecting to the CPU waterblock to bring the whole thing in a bit if needed when I'm fine-tuning the fit later.

The next challenge is figuring out where to start the second bend - especially when the 1m piece of pipe doesn't fit inside the case to confirm! After thinking about it I came up with this high-tech solution:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Right after that brilliant solution I realised that I could fit the pipe through the front of the case just enough to get better measurements. I put the piece in place and use a black marker to indicate where the bend needs to happen:

[​IMG]

After figuring out where I want the bend I can work backwards and mark where the bend needs to start in my pipe bender. For my set of pipe benders I know this is about 23mm from where the pipe is held, then out to about 80mm further to the middle of the pipe at 90 degrees.

[​IMG]

After measuring back and bending I have the bend. I've learned it's always easier to under-bend than over-bend! Easy to add more but almost impossible (short of annealing I guess?) to fix an over-bend. In this case the bend is perfect, though! Once the fitting is connected the length will be perfect:

[​IMG]

Here's the piece, ready for polishing:

[​IMG]

Sanding:

[​IMG]

Polished:

[​IMG]

Here's a close up of the piece with a fitting attached:

[​IMG]

After polishing the piece and putting it in place I'm not really happy with the look/feel of the piece.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The 90 degree bend down to the reservoir feels - to me - like I've made an unnecessary compromise on the look because it was the only way I could fit the pipe in. I initially chose this route for the piece because I didn't want the pipe to get in the way of the 24-pin cable. After adding the cables in to see how it looks I realised that I can easily have the 24-pin and the cable use the same space.

I think I'll probably redo this piece and use a 45-degree fitting on the CPU waterblock exit to allow the pipe to have a nice extended+gradual curve down to the reservoir right through the space the 24-pin occupies. It'll give the finished product a more organic feel I think, almost like the pipes were originally plastic tube which has somehow been transformed into hard pipe. Otherwise, though, the look and feel is progressing pretty well I think:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I'll have lots of trip pics online once I get back and process them, but in the mean time here's two of my recent favourites:

Iguazu Falls:
    [​IMG]

Suzie at the Inca Bridge, Machu Picchu:
    [​IMG]

I'm looking forward to getting home, I'm told I have a out 7 packages of pc-related stuff waiting for me at home including a decent Allan key set which will allow me to work on the SLI copper pipe components, the final part of the loop!

Hope you guys are doing well, looking forward to hearing your thoughts on the update :)

10. pieceofchance

pieceofchance Member

very secks, and not just the last pic :weirdo:

11. admiralranga

admiralranga Member

Yay update, nice work Saate it looks awesome.

12. Dumpty

Dumpty Member

i know you want to show off them sexy looking cables that you sleeved nicely but don't you think they could prehaps not cover the res and pipe? :confused:

On a side not what did you use to capture the last two shots equipment wise?
    Edit: Also Happy New Year man!

Last edited: Jan 4, 2013
  13. OP
    OP
    Saate

Saate Member

Thanks fellas :)

Happy new year :)

I think there's enough of the res and pipe visible that the sleeving doesn't really detract from it, to me I think the combo of the two goes together well. With that said its worth considering how the sleeving would look if I route it higher so that the bottom of the res is visible, ill give it a go when the loop is done and we can see what looks good - that the kind of thing you had in mind?

The equipment for the last two shots, heh! After the several thousand other shots taken on my proper camera those panoramas were taken with my iPhone 5 :p I was surprised how well it works to be honest, and the files are 16mb or so which is fairly impressive quality-wise. I've got a few more ill post when I get home too :)

One hour until our taxi to the airport, the next 24 hours is going to be 'fun' :S

14. m3k

m3k Member

wow. that is absolutely impressive man.

15. Dumpty

Dumpty Member

yeah maybe if they are a little higher up, like the centre of res, but they alright as they are, i just think that they would look neater in another configuration,

you f'ing with me son? iPhone 5 camera! day-um thats impressive, not even my Sony Point and shoot camera does panoramas that good, super, Even when i stich my DLSR photos together i cant get them like that, super impressed. Hopefully the next iPhone is convincing enough for me to return to the iOS realm.

16. brayway

brayway Member

Wow, everything is looking great!

17. BrickTop

BrickTop Member

Saate, nice bending!

I'm very impressed with the technique you developed to ensure you get it right every time. I just took a look at the benders you have way back in the thread and it looks like they don't have any markings to indicate where the pipe should line up for perfect bends.

If you take a look at the benders here http://www.amazon.com/400-Series-In...Q/ref=sr_1_16?ie=UTF8&qid=1357282339&sr=8-16& you'll see they have markings for 90, 45, R, which would've saved you a hell of a lot of measuring!

18. c_hegge

c_hegge Member

Man, that's nicely done!! Perfect bends, nice shine, ultimate attention to detail. What more could we ask for?

19. azalin79

azalin79 Member

Great update mate - looking really good!!

Trip pics show an amazing eperience - so envious :thumbup:

20. Sghet0

Sghet0 Member

Do you had a good time in Argentina? if you are in Buenos Aires you should totally go to "La costanera" next to te airport, there they sell the best Choripan of the world (?. I am from Argentina and it´s a beautiful country.

The worklog is incredible and the vengeful disapproving girlfriend is hilarius :lol: