Worklog: Massively (Update #65, 29th Nov – Final Pics + Aussie copper pipe fittings!)

Discussion in 'Modding Worklogs' started by Saate, Mar 29, 2012.

1. kombiman

kombiman Dis-Member

2. OP
    OP
    Saate

Saate Member

Cheers - haven't had any luck on eBay, didn't see this auction in my search because I think theyve got it set to only ship to Europe. Just dropped them a message then :) looks like they ship in 1ft lengths which is probably fine, we'll see if they'll ship to Australia!

3. kombiman

kombiman Dis-Member

If you end up needing some turned down I have a lathe ;)

4. OP
    OP
    Saate

Saate Member

Awesome, thanks for the offer :) That eBay guy just got back to me, sounds positive so far - he's checking on shipping costs and will let me know.

5. keano159

keano159 Member

no worries :) I had thought that might be the case, hopefully not though

6. OP
    OP
    Saate

Saate Member

Just spoke to them and unfortunately it's actually the 12.7mm standard stuff, was worth a try though! :)

7. VirtualNinja

VirtualNinja Member

8. keano159

keano159 Member

Oh thats kind of a bummer, best of luck finding them then.
    I'm checking this build about three times a day for updates :thumbup:

9. OP
    OP
    Saate

Saate Member

Thanks :) That photo paper looks interesting! The description seems confusing - from the picture and price you'd assume $19.99 gets you one pack of 20 sheets, but the 'Packing' comments beneath it seem to suggest 100 sheets which would be a bargain! The sticker paper I got from eBay is pretty good, the hardest thing is cutting out circles though - thats why I initially approached a sign writer to get professionally printed/cut-out stickers. These ones turned out pretty nice though so I'm happy for the time being :)

Yeah, we'll get there! Difficulty sourcing this stuff just makes it more fun, thats how you know its an uncommon build! Funny you mention updates, I've got one all typed up and ready to go - I'll put it up a bit later this afternoon! :)

10. OP
    OP
    Saate

Saate Member

Parts Update - Thought today I'd share some of the parts going into the system with you guys.

I wasnt able to source the Bitspower C47/C48 fittings in Australia so had to order them via FrozenCPU. Received the package pretty quickly and was surprised at how light it was considering the million or so little packets inside:

[​IMG]

After opening everything up my army of bitspower bittings was ready for war!

[​IMG]

An assortment of different 45/90/stopper fittings including the tap fitting that I plan (somehow) on using to incorporate a clever drain line into the build.

[​IMG]

A solemn procession! :p

[​IMG]

I still can't decide between using the Lund Pomplex Reservoir or the Phobya 150 in this build. It's looking more and more like the Phobya 150 will be what I go with, although I've got both here to test out the look/feel/fit with the build.

Like some of my other shots, I tried to make these ones different so they stand out a little more. I realised pretty early on this build that taking direct photographs of the products/parts might be sufficient to get the point across - but they get boring pretty fast if they're no different to the shots everyone else is posting!

That's why I used the zinc ingots in earlier sleeving shots, and why these reservoir block shots are a little different too :)

The Lund Pomplex comes in a nondescript plain box, letting the beautifully machined reservoir inside do all the talking.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I didnt think I'd like the Phobya 150 that much, but once it arrived I realised it's also a solid bit of kit and very adaptable:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

My girlfriend finds it terribly amusing to pick on my nerdiness when I get this 'look of concentration' on my face taking these shots:

[​IMG]

..and finally a couple of shots of the Koolance CPU block:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Still a lot more to show you, I'll probably post up shots of the Black ICE SR1 480mm radiator and fan fitting next time.

11. Moptimus

Moptimus Member

Hey, we are all nerds on here, just to varying degrees. If you read this and think you are not a nerd, you are reading a forum devoted to the idea of modifying a computer for performance and/or aesthetics - you are a nerd.

If you were to ask me, the thing that screams nerd in the photo, aside from the fact that you are photographing watercooling components, is the fact that you have your camera on a lanyard around your neck. :lol:

12. kombiman

kombiman Dis-Member

You beat me while I was re looking at the pics! I do like your pics and the effort shows. I am surprised it's not an SLR though, nice pics for a P&S! :thumbup:

13. BigDave

BigDave Member

Saate, mate i think the Phobya 150 is going to suit your build 110 times better than that horrible lund. I think you said in an earlier post you were going to nickel plate your copper tubing, any thought on stainless tube polished? Oh and the same question is 12mm available here in oz?

14. OP
    OP
    Saate

Saate Member

Screw you guys :p haha it's funny actually, the earlier pics in the thread (before the latest update) were taken with my old IXUS 80 camera. I was planning on buying the IXUS 230 HS camera and a workmate lent me hers for the weekend - I was paranoid about damaging or breaking it hence the lanyard :pp

I'm glad you expected an SLR :) as with modding I'm a complete newb when it comes to photography, have been learning bits and pieces from forum posts and the MDPC guys so slowly becoming more 'aware' of what kind of light and stuff makes for better shots. Keeping a photo journal of this build as I go is half the fun!

Yeah I agree totally, originally I thought the Lund all the way. I also wanted the Phobya 250 when I ordered but the Koolroom guys didn't have them stocked. I'm glad! The 150 is perfect :)

There does seem to be 12mm non copper tubing around within Aus but I'll wait until ive exhausted more options before pursuing it. Had a few emails back and forth with UK companies today that are promising - two places have said they can ship it internationally but need to see prices still.

Had a brainwave today about how I'll fit the PMP-450 pump into the system very uniquely! Will have to dust off my Google Sketchup skills and see if I can illustrate it in the next few days.

15. brayway

brayway Member

Awesome sounding build so far!
    I also expected a SLR from the pics :lol:
    I'm loving the plans for the case too :thumbup:
    watching with a lot of interest, i want to mod my 800D more, as I have only done the 480 and a few other little things to it, so you're giving me ideas :leet:

16. OP
    OP
    Saate

Saate Member

Thanks for the kind words mate :) Have to say its an honour to have the famous pump-bottle-and-garden-hose Brayway posting in my thread! Didnt realise for a second but knew I'd seen that sig somewhere! :p

17. stevebris

stevebris Member

Wow, great thread you have here Saate! :thumbup:

If you have no luck with the tubing I have a mate who's family all live in the UK.
    He might be able to get some cu pipe shipped over for you?

I have had my heart set on a polished stainless tubing w/c rig for a while now, so loving this thread! :)

Subbed

18. OP
    OP
    Saate

Saate Member

Cheers, very much appreciated to have the offer and option there! Have swapped a few emails with two UK places in the last day so will see what total cost and shipping looks like and go from there. Stupid copper :p

19. leithals

leithals Member

Great read so far... subbed :thumbup:

20. BlueRaven

BlueRaven Member

Love the watercooling pr0n photos, including the one of the artist. Pretty sure most of us have had a "crazy nerd" comment from a significant other while artfully arranging bits of metal and plastic for a photo shoot. :D

Sounds like the tubing is already a right pain in the arse, but let's face it... you knew it was going to be, right? I am hoping and praying that this project doesn't suffer from "overambitious-first-mod-death" like mine sort of did!