Worklog: Massively (Update #65, 29th Nov – Final Pics + Aussie copper pipe fittings!)

Discussion in 'Modding Worklogs' started by Saate, Mar 29, 2012.

1. OP
    OP
    Saate

Saate Member

Thanks mate :)

I'll never get tired of comments like this, glad that you got something out of the read mate - and to be honest I had no idea where it was going from the start either, the little community of support thats developed around this build is my favourite thing thats come from it though :)

Good idea, I'll do that today :)

2. OP
    OP
    Saate

Saate Member

Just updated the first post with thumbnails to latest updates as well as a section for vengeful disapproving girlfriend, copy here to save you guys checking - hopefully that'll do the trick :)

Vengeful Disapproving Girlfriend

To celebrate 150,000 views on the worklog we enlisted the talents of Mike Perry to bring to life the vengeful disapproving girlfriend through a weekly comic. Those interested in some background on how this came to be can get some backstory by reading the thread from around page 29 onwards.

[​IMG]

Episode List

Episode 1 – The Worklog (featuring Agg)
    Episode 2 – Creekbone (featuring Creekin and Wishbone17)
    Episode 3 – Photoshop of Horrors (featuring m3k and f3l1x)
    Episode 4 – Infiltration (featuring Kommandant33)
    Episode 5 – Security (featuring Dingostolemyghz)
    Episode 6 – Triple Threat (featuring 3Coopers)
    Episode 7 – Final Battle? (featuring pieceofchance and HuggyBear64)
    Episode 8 – Enter Moptimus (featuring Moptimus)
    Episode 9 – More than meets the eye (featuring pieceofchance and Moptimus)
    Episode 10 – Powerup (featuring pieceofchance and Moptimus)
    Episode 11 – Hypnotized (featuring pieceofchance and Moptimus)

Last edited: Jan 21, 2013
  3. Kommandant33

Kommandant33 Member

Awesome job, man... And you should TOTALLY get a coffee table book printed.. I would buy one for sure!\

edit - and get disapproving G/F to sign it for me ppllooiissee

4. WishBone17

WishBone17 Member

i check back to this thread on a daily basis, waiting for the next update & photos, HTFU Saate.

Nah kidding mate, take your sweet arse time, your build will be epic, lets hope your stuff isn't outdated when your done LOL.

5. stevebris

stevebris Member

It just so happens I'm a bookbinder! ;)

Saate, if you were interested in a small run I would be more than happy to help.
    I require no financial gain, just a copy for my time. :)
    If you would like to discuss this just pm me mate.

Steve :leet:

6. NickMate

NickMate Member

Im in :) The funny thing is, any outsider who reads this will never know the origin :eek::D

7. VirtualNinja

VirtualNinja Member

The hard drive mount is a bit of a concern. Would there be an issue with possible shorting and also vibration.

8. OP
    OP
    Saate

Saate Member

So much win! PM on its way :)

Will do :)

Next time it’ll be faster, but its about learning more than anything this time – so currency of parts take a back seat to pretty pictures and the journey :p

How do you mean? That the origin of the book came from discussions within the thread? :)

Awesome! This is exactly the kind of feedback I was after :) Shorting shouldn’t be an issue since the aluminium plate isnt going to be in direct contact with anything on the hard drive, if that was a concern I could also use something to insulate the part in direct contact anyway.

Talk to me more about the vibration – I hadnt specifically considered that since your typical hard drive racks arent particularly over the top in this regard. I think it would be a good idea for me to use some kind of rubber trim where it’s touching the top (maybe on the underside of the top piece so its not visible) but otherwise the 3.5” will be quite secure once inserted.

Got a lot of work done on the midplate on the weekend, will post an update on my alu work when I’ve got the photos up :)

9. stevebris

stevebris Member

I get it Nick! :rolleyes:

Saate, read my post as a stranger without knowledge of this thread would. :lol:

10. admiralranga

admiralranga Member

I'm in, that'd be awesome.

11. pieceofchance

pieceofchance Member

And it sounds as if a large print run may be necessary after all... :thumbup:

EDIT: put me down for 2

Last edited: Jan 21, 2013
  12. VirtualNinja

VirtualNinja Member

Glad to be of assistance. :)

From the drawing the drive will be sitting in the slot with the 2 plates holding it in position there wasn't a distance between the 2 plates specified but guessing from the scaling around 1 cm. While in normal racks/cages there isn't rigorous mounting the 4 fixing pints are at each corner of the drive. whilst this mounting plate it appears that the fixing point will be at the top third of the drives.

It has been a long time since I studied physics, so I'm not sure what the correct terms are for the forces. But when a drive spins up or spins down you can feel the forces imparted by the drive if you hold it in your hand. This could possibly induce movement in the mounting position.

It would appear you intend to place the drives in the slots with the ports facing down. This possible issue could be solved using a u shaped bracket attached to the bottom of the case with rubber washers between the chassis and the bracket. Thus the drives would have a much more stable mounting position.

Hope this is of some help.

13. stevebris

stevebris Member

I would suggest a rectangular frame encompassing the drive rather than a "u" shape due to possible flexing of a U shape.

Saate,
    Pm replied, chat later about the 200 page hardcover leather bound volumes (books)!
    Do you think 300 will be enough? :p

14. OP
    OP
    Saate

Saate Member

Hah, I love that there’s actually interest in a book! ..and absolutely, Steve – but only the expensive leather with the gold-flake lettering, right? None of that ‘cheap’ stuff :p

I’ve considered the idea of a frame for the drives but am not sure I could make it surreptitious enough to not damage the look I’m going for. With that said, though, I’ve left space to the left of each 3.5” slot in the design so that I can widen the holes to allow for a frame around the drives in the case vibration is an issue.

After doing some alu work on the weekend I’m reconsidering how much space should be between the top place and the bottom plate as the 5mm alu is quite strong. I think even with a very short distance between the plates it'll be quite secure - hmmmm, if I power an old 3.5" drive without having it connected to a PC will it still spin up? that would allow me to easily test the vibrations, pretty sure it should?

15. xxxxxx

xxxxxx (Banned or Deleted)

have you considered casting your own aluminum parts? its cheap and fun to do. you need some space though.

yes any HDD will spin up when it has power but no computer connected, it may spin down straight after though.

Last edited: Jan 22, 2013
  16. aeon.

aeon. Member

saate can probs make up the expenses he's spent on his pc if he decides to publish :)

hit me up for one :D

17. stevebris

stevebris Member

Making money? :shock:
    Hmmm may have to edit a previous post, brb....... :lol:

18. OP
    OP
    Saate

Saate Member

UPDATE – Aluminium Midplate Work

Small update today to share my first foray into working with Aluminium. I sourced two 5 x 300 x 400mm pieces of aluminium plate via an offcuts dealer online, at 1.6kg per piece they cost $26 each. I’ve no idea if I paid a premium there for the smaller quantity or if this price is fairly average so any input in that regard would be appreciated - the grade on the material was ‘5083 G’ if its particularly relevant. There’s a heap of local metal places I can visit to ask about offcuts too, so once I’ve got a better idea on what prices to expect I’ll see what I can find.

To start with a bit of gory detail, the reason I’ve decided to replace the existing midplate completely is that it’s…well…ugly! Although the 3mm acrylic piece I created covers the stock midplate I still don’t like the fact it’s there. Here’s a few shots to show you:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Ultimately I’ve had to modify it just a bit too much for my purposes and it doesn’t feel like it belongs in the build. So onto the sturdier 5mm alu replacement! Here’s the design again for those who missed it in my post the other day:

[​IMG]

I started off by cutting out the 400 x 196 piece. Since the plate is conveniently already 400mm I only need to cut the 196mm side. Here I’ve marked out the dimensions ready to cut:

[​IMG]

I’d read that Aluminium was soft enough to cut using a bandsaw but had my reservations. After donning all sorts of protective gear I tentatively gave it a try and was pleasantly surprised how well it did the job. Here’s the two pieces, and my workspace covered in filings:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

With the 400 x 196 piece in hand I then needed to figure out where all the holes needed to be made:

[​IMG]

To help ensure I was making cuts in the correct places I printed some 1:1 scale parts of the design on A4 sticker paper. Cut out and aligned to the piece I can now ‘see’ exactly where everything needs to go. Here’s the main piece:

[​IMG]

Cutting the supports:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Unexpectedly, the bandsaw also did a fantastic job with the curved cuts:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

To file them to size I put the two pieces together with double-sided tape in the middle and clamps. You know what I really don’t have that would make this filing business much easier? A vice :( I've been able to make do with what I have for the time being, but a vice is definitely on the list when it comes to upgrading my garage workspace!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Before I cut the two right-hand side pieces I rechecked my measurements and discovered I somehow hadnt made them wide enough to bridge the gap - so glad I always check because I would've been pretty pissed off if I'd wasted the material! Staged action shot cutting the next piece down to size:

[​IMG]

Stickers applied:

[​IMG]

Had to apply some elbow grease in cutting this piece via hacksaw after I discovered the throat of the bandsaw wasn't wide enough - doh!

[​IMG]

Offcuts:

[​IMG]

...and the right-side pieces are liberated! You can see the bit the sticker doesn't cover is how much I'd under measured the pieces by:

[​IMG]

Some closeups of the pieces showing the thickness of the material and the cleanup work I have ahead of me:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I'll finish this update with a few shots of the hard drives on one of the pieces, to give you an idea of how it's all going together:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Hope you guys are doing well, as always looking forward to your feedback, advice and comments :)

19. the3coopers

the3coopers Member

Next time you are cutting straight runs, try using a "fence".

Basically, a bit of wood clamped to the base of the saw, that you slide the item against. By putting it at the correct place, you can cat straight lines of any angle!

BTW - that bandsaw blade looks like it was designed for wood, so it's amazing that you are getting through the 5mm aluminium with it.

20. Dumpty

Dumpty Member

was going to say, :Paranoid:
    also just an idea, ever though of covering the SSDs with acrylic, with some white LEDs inside some smoked acrylic. so you can see them SSDs
    instead of a Aluminium cover. (unless i have misunderstood your drawings.)

Last edited: Jan 23, 2013