Worklog: Massively (Update #65, 29th Nov – Final Pics + Aussie copper pipe fittings!)

Discussion in 'Modding Worklogs' started by Saate, Mar 29, 2012.

1. aeon.

aeon. Member

Only if he does it wrong

2. Hive

Hive Member

Can you pay for dinner?

Just the tip.

3. NickMate

NickMate Member

Reminds me of this :lol:

4. pieceofchance

pieceofchance Member

there ya go mate, just the bit after the v=

5. Carcin0Genic

Carcin0Genic Member

oXZrZmUdFWE
    Just that bit inside the YouTube brackets.

Dammit pieceofchance. Or should i say pieces? :lol:

Last edited: Jan 29, 2013
  6. pieceofchance

pieceofchance Member

Zing! :thumbup:

... might have to go for pieceofarse after all... the chances we take... I stand by my choices (or lay in a pool of blood, as it were...)

7. NickMate

NickMate Member

Cheers ;) all forums have a different way of doing it. Why can't we just put the link as is and have it automatically embedded?

8. xxxxxx

xxxxxx (Banned or Deleted)

cant you just use any old busted 2.5" drive as a template for SSD mounting? I mean SSD's are just a 2.5" drive...

if so i have a few.

as for your aluminium bits, try making a template using cardboard before making them out of aluminium... if you really want then you can use the template as a way to cast your own brackets.

9. OP
    OP
    Saate

Saate Member

UPDATE – Midplate Work Continued

I’ve put in a lot of hours on this bloody midplate lately, and I’m really starting to curse the fact that I didn’t just accept the stock midplate and move on to finish the build sooner. Once I committed to doing this replacement piece I also committed to all the hours of learning – and the mistakes that go with that – that are needed to get a result I can be happy with. Kinda shot myself in the foot but I’m dealing with that reality and pushing through!

The other night I went into the garage and sat at my workbench staring at the pieces for a couple of hours, trying to figure out what the ‘right’ way to proceed would be. Part of me doubted that my replacement midplate would or could be good enough and wanted to further butcher the stock midplate and attach it all to that. The other part of me found this to be an unacceptable compromise and refused. So we - that is, the conflicted parts of me – just sat there trying to think of a halfway compromise or alternative option. In the end no compromise came, but the time wasting annoyed me and helped me decide it was time to stop worrying and go all or nothing! So the stock midplate is 100% out and I’ll only be using the pieces I’m creating.

Enough with the proselytizing I think, on with the update :)

More filing and shaping work on the supports:

[​IMG]

Happy with the shape! Just needs to be drilled, tapped and polished:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Testing that the height is spot on with the existing midplate, fits fine:

[​IMG]

Speaking of tapping, check out the latest addition to my garage (I do note that the preceeding line would be infinitely cooler if I was about to show you photos of a supermodel):

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Drilling holes for the midplate piece:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Drills through 5mm alu plate with a minimum of fuss, which is nice after having the dremel as my sole form of drill for some time!

[​IMG]

Since I don’t have a correctly sized metal holesaw I drilled lots of holes around the inside edge of the pump-hole :

[​IMG]

The Dremel Trio was perfect to cut the rest out and made short (if messy) work of the job:

[​IMG]

Your skill at making cogs has increased by 1, it is now 1:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Cleaned up the cut a little:

[​IMG]

All the holes cut out, I’ll file them to tidy up later but pretty happy with how they look:

[​IMG]

Making sure the bulkhead fittings go in properly, perfect fit:

[​IMG]

I’ll finish this update with a shot of the mess:

[​IMG]

Hope you guys are well, next update will continue work on the midplate.

10. pieceofchance

pieceofchance Member

This is going to be blindingly shiny once you put some lights in it... really shaping up, can't wait to see the finished product :thumbup:

11. the3coopers

the3coopers Member

By the looks of your hole-drilling... it looks like you need to invest in a centre punch. One tap on the X in the centre of the hole, then the drill won't wander around.

Also, when drilling always drill pilot holes with a small drill, then work your way up... that way if you are making a lring of holes around an edge you can make a heaps of holes that are close together and then slowly enlarge them until the outer edges touch the line.

A $10 hole saw set from Bunnings (grey plastic case, usually on the bottom shelf, well hidden) will work perfectly fine for aluminium and even steel. Just lubricate it by spraying WD40 on the blade, and keep the speed VERY slow. Use a slow speed, don't let it get hot, and it will cruise through aluminium plate like that. :thumbup:

12. WishBone17

WishBone17 Member

This man! always comes up with really good advice, Saate, invite him over for dinner and marry him!

13. pieceofchance

pieceofchance Member

As much as I love Coops, it would be a massive downgrade for Saate :D

14. OP
    OP
    Saate

Saate Member

Thanks mate - I actually do have centre punches, just decided that since I'd be cleaning up with the trio + files it only really mattered that the holes I drilled were on the inside of the lines :) I'll post some shots I took of test-tapping into the sides of 5mm plate later, when it comes to that level of precision I centre punched and was extremely accurate!

I was there the other day looking for a drill press vice (they don't stock them incidentally, and neither did Masters!) and had a long look for holesaws but couldnt find anything. I saw plenty of light socket/door handle sets but didnt think they'd do for alu, and the rest of the you-beaut holesaws were $40+ each. So for $10 am I looking for one of the door/light sets? can you find a link on their website so I know which one? :)

Think of the beautiful machines we'd create, though!

15. NickMate

NickMate Member

The only I know of around $10 is the Trojan 6pce which we stock a lot of (I work at Bunnings) so you should have no problem finding stock. Here's the link:
    http://www.bunnings.com.au/products...ole+saw&searchType=any&searchSubType=products

Also, there is a craft right door kit, I think used to sell for $12 which if they still have it would be the best way to go as the sizes are more varied than the Trojan set.

16. OP
    OP
    Saate

Saate Member

Thanks mate :) I think this must be one of the ones I saw - and its the big capitalised 'NOT SUITED FOR METAL' message that turned me away. So I wonder if there's a different kind of if I can safely ignore that on a relatively soft metal like alu?

Also as an employee any tips for my trips? Apart from price matching are there any best approaches to get good deals or discounts?

17. the3coopers

the3coopers Member

Nah, not that Trojan one - those are rubbish. Naughty Bunnings employee not knowing the products... This one (which has gone up in price since I bought mine), which I thought was branded "Sonax" at the time...

http://www.bunnings.com.au/products...holesaw&searchType=any&searchSubType=products

Click to view full size!

In that photo my set has a few bits missing, as I am currently using it to drill my Corsair steel chassis. I've actually drilled a 25mm hole through about 7mm thick steel plate with that holesaw, to mount a bike rack onto my car's towball.

If one of them wears out, just buy a decent Sutton one to replace just that size (which you obviously use a lot).

Last edited: Feb 5, 2013
  18. NickMate

NickMate Member

Hey, I didn't recommend it, I just said that's the one that's $10...like you mentioned;):lol: anyway, the Trojan like cooper said is rubbish, we have it returned more times than all hole saws combined. The Craftright set (which is $14 at my store) is the best in terms of price and usage.

In terms of getting a good discount or bargain (I'm not sure of all stores do this) but my store regularly has Weekend Carpark sales with very good discounts of tool shop related hardware. I buy all my tools during these sales. It's basically just deleted stock with no room on shelf. After about 6 months of being deleted, the price drops almost 75%. We've had Makita drills sell for $20 (originally worth $400).
    Next time your there (getting your hole saw kit) ask some of the employees if they have or when they are having there Carpark sale. Generally he smaller stores will do it more often than the larger warehouses.

19. OP
    OP
    Saate

Saate Member

Thanks for the tips guys :) Picked up the 16 piece set on the way home last night and it looks great!

20. BigDave

BigDave Member