Worklog: Massively (Update #65, 29th Nov – Final Pics + Aussie copper pipe fittings!)

Discussion in 'Modding Worklogs' started by Saate, Mar 29, 2012.

1. DaveRS

DaveRS Member

Very very nice! :thumbup:

2. Doughboy

Doughboy Member

Outstanding Saate, outstanding

3. the3coopers

the3coopers Member

Here's some hints when tapping things...

a) lubrication - WD40 or similar on the tap will do (there is a special thread cutting spray can, but hardly worth it for this small project)

b) when you tap a hole, you go in by (say) 1 full turn, then reverse until it "cracks" (you'll feel this). Then tap in another full turn, then reverse until it cracks, repeat.

What this is doing is breaking off the swarf, and making it land inside the flutes when it's clear. That way you aren't dragging aluminium into the brand new threads as you go, which causes then to get all buggered up.

Depending on material you might be able to go in by 1.5 turns then reverse 1/4 turn... After you do this a few times you'll get the feel for it, and when you need to reverse to clear out the crap. It's equally important when you are doing the outside threads too, using the dies.

Hope that makes sense. :)

4. firehorse12345

firehorse12345 Member

where can I get those tools ?

5. the3coopers

the3coopers Member

From the tools shop.

Anyway, what tools? :lol:

6. NickMate

NickMate Member

I'm pretty sure Repco sell them but also a small place called...Bunnings...I think:p

7. roamin

roamin Member

after you have tapped 10,000 holes at work like i have you learn to use a cordless drill and get the feel with that too. :lol: but i always use tapping grease even at home. wd40 is fine but im not a fan, id rather use some car grease or some such instead.

8. cvidler

cvidler Member

For a few small diameter holes in aluminium WD40 is fine. I've even done one or two 'dry' when I didn't have any around (who puts back an empty can FFS).

9. roamin

roamin Member

yeah tapping with nothing is fine, as long as you take it very slow, i work with alloy on a daily basis. its like all things in life, omce you do it a million times you get used to finding shortcuts to make things quicker.

we have even used metho as a lube for our cnc machines in the past. i was always worried it would spark a fire. nope.

10. BigDave

BigDave Member

11. the3coopers

the3coopers Member

The main thing is that inexperienced people might think that you just "wind the tap in" and it'll create a nice, clean thread. But it doesn't, as the material galls up in the flutes of the tap (or die) and then tears the shit out of the newly cut threads. This happens because the removed material comes off the tap in a continuous "strip" yet the flutes to remove it are at exactly 90° to that direction.

So when hand tapping, irrespective of the lubricant (and yes, I've also threaded aluminium dry), you need to break off the dags and help them into the flutes. So you wind the tap in until you feel it bind, then reverse until it clicks, then repeat.

12. the3coopers

the3coopers Member

Gawd knows why that person chose to have 8 almost identical photos of a standard case, then 10 identical pictures of the WC tubing (just takes at slightly different angles). I gave up trying to find anything interesting - maybe the gold painted trim and HDD cage was what they found so exciting?

But hell that copper pipe looks good compared to standard PVC tubing. But with such a clean build the ugly mess of individually braided cables really stands out even more. It's got me buggered why people think that looks "good". :upset: :p

I can't wait for the first WC build where the person replaces each section of the loop's 12mm tube with (say) 10 x 3mm PVC tubes. Then just route them loosely and don't even bother making them parallel or neat in any way... if a few of them cross over in a random fashion, even better! :lol:

Last edited: Mar 9, 2013
  13. Enjoi

Enjoi Member

i agree, a can of copper spray paint, some bent copper pipe and some good photography is all it takes... apparently

also, we needz dem updates Saate.

14. Dingostolemyghz

Dingostolemyghz Member

nice squishy bends there, he needs some pointers from saate

15. admiralranga

admiralranga Member

Done neatly however that would be quite interesting

16. pieceofchance

pieceofchance Member

still update famished on this end mate, use the force (do they even have the three day weekend in the ACT?)

17. bueller

bueller Member

Me too, opened this on Friday thinking "just another build log" and wound up reading all 60+ pages in one sitting. Bring on the updates!

18. OP
    OP
    Saate

Saate Member

Updated the original post with links/thumbnail strips to the latest four updates. Provided you guys hassle me some more I reckon updates could be forthcoming :)

Thanks Dave :)

Thanks Dough!

Always invaluable tips coops :) I'll take a shot of my old tapset to show you how dodgy it was, the new one is making so much difference.

Is that a Batman reference? :D

Thanks Dave, always love seeing other builds like that!

I hear you mate, they're coming :)

Thanks Dingo, I'm honored that you'd suggest he needs tips from me! :) Although I have to agree the bends arent very imaginative so you might be onto something.

Yeah we did have a long weekend, managed to get a bit done and it's shaping up nicely. The Sunday was ridiculously hot but I'm getting closer, I can feel it!

Thanks for checking the worklog out, bueller! Always my favourite thing to have people discover the log and get sucked in :)

19. OP
    OP
    Saate

Saate Member

UPDATE – HDD Bay and Midplate Stands

After doing a fair bit of aluminium work lately on the build I’m still somewhat in the dark on aluminium costs. There aren’t readily available price lists online so I’m limited to eBay offcut prices and stuff. I’ve gotten a bit bolder in approaching local companies, though!

Recently while the Vengeful GF was visiting a catering place in Fyshwick I spied an aluminium screen door and windows company and popped my head in. Told them I was building a computer and while they were still looking confused asked them about offcuts. They had a 1000x1000 sheet of 1.7mm thickness alu that I was able to pick up for about $50:

[​IMG]

The best is yet to come, though! I phoned a place called [Precision Metals] in Queanbeyan and after chatting with the owner, Bob, about the build for a few minutes he invited me over for a tour of their factory. I dragged the Vengeful GF with me (she’s prettier than I am) and Bob took us on a tour showing us all their different machinery. One of the main products they make in the factory are server racks for companies like Telstra so it’s a pretty big/streamlined setup.

I got to meet some of their design staff and when I mentioned I’d been doing my designs in Solid Edge I was shocked to learn that’s what they use for all their stuff – except it’s the full on 3D version. Still, the idea that some of my solid edge learning could translate into that kinda stuff down the track is interesting! After the tour Bob took me to their scrap bins and loaded me up with some nice offcuts like the one below which will come in handy for future builds:
    [​IMG]
    I was really chuffed at their kindness and support, thought it was definitely worth sharing with you guys! Pretty cool eh? We could probably do the update now if you like :p

I printed my new stand-designs onto A4 sticker paper, cut them out, then put the stickers onto 5mm alu plate:

[​IMG]

Then using the bandsaw I cut the shapes out roughly:

[​IMG]

Drilled holes in each of the pieces for the scrollsaw blade to fit through:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Scrollsaw time!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

After cutting them all out I decided to clean them up in sets of two, since there are two slightly different pairs, and I wanted to make sure each set was identical. Here’s a before-and-after of the curved edge cleanup:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

When it came to sanding the edges I looked around but didn’t have a sanding block that was quite the right shape for what I wanted. I was after something with a curved edge and initially drew this outline onto a piece of wood thinking I could trim it with the bandsaw:

[​IMG]

I pretty quickly realised my bandsaw had nowhere near the clearance to fit, but by now was already committed to wasting some time messing around! I decided to try something – I used a handsaw to cut the piece in half then trimmed the corners with the bandsaw. After that I screwed a long bolt into the end of it and hacksawed the head off. Then put it into my drill press:

[​IMG]

Wasn’t sure how well it would work, but since I was only using sandpaper I figured it’d work okay and it did – here’s the outcome:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

It worked a treat for sanding the curved edges on the stands, here’s the before and after shots:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

One pair of the stands, for the HDD bay, need an extra bit removed which was handled easily with the bandsaw and a bit of filing:

[​IMG]

..and there you are! The two pairs of stands, still some inside-sanding to go but getting there!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

More on the stands next time as the HDD bay comes together. Keen to hear what you guys think so far :)

20. VirtualNinja

VirtualNinja Member

Liking the new look stands