Worklog: Massively (Update #65, 29th Nov – Final Pics + Aussie copper pipe fittings!)

Discussion in 'Modding Worklogs' started by Saate, Mar 29, 2012.

1. Dumpty

Dumpty Member

thank god you didn't listen to Scod's advice. hahaha
    idk man you'd probably know better :lol: :thumbup:

2. Dingostolemyghz

Dingostolemyghz Member

That sounds really soon, until you consider the fact you've already done most of the work.

Its time for a MASSIVELY Wedding.

The colour scheme has already been decided.
    [​IMG]

The logo, font, invitations, done!
    [​IMG]

The decor? Bent up copper pipes of course, its not like you dont have a gazzillion spare.
    [​IMG]

On top of that tripod as the wedding band, and since you and fiance are basically famous now, i'm sure every venue in canberra has already contacted you down with offers to host and cater it free of charge. Hell, have it at the lodge! i'm sure either political party would happily offer that as an election promise just to secure the ocow vote.

ps. everyone who frequents this build log is invited right?

3. WishBone17

WishBone17 Member

Damn Straight!! And Who organizing the bucks night?

4. Evaken

Evaken Member

oooohrriiggghhht

5. Huggy_Bear64

Huggy_Bear64 Member

Definitely this :thumbup:

It's a toss up between creekin and pieceofarse... :Paranoid:

6. Dumpty

Dumpty Member

Creekin's been MIA guess its Piece of Arse

7. BigDave

BigDave Member

8. aeries

aeries Member

even though i dont post, i think i make up about a tenth of the views ;) congrats mate LOL now your pc has competition :o

you've also unwittingly employed the finance minister...glhf :Paranoid::p

9. OP
    OP
    Saate

Saate Member

UPDATE – Midplate and Drive Bay Installation

I’m overdue for an update, so no time like the present! Work has continued on the build so I’m quite a bit ahead – spent the last weekend ruining 12.0mm copper pipe while trying to redo a particularly tortuous part of the loop. I completed the loop but am really not happy with the look so have made the frustrating decision to redo it – argh!

Anyway, where we last left off I was putting the finishing touches on the custom hdd bay:

[​IMG]

Next step was putting it into the case and testing/adjusting the fit. Can you see the frustrating obstacle that was about to present itself to me?

[​IMG]

Here’s a closer look:

[​IMG]

Marked out the offending raised point and got the dremel ready:

[​IMG]

Excised, then cleaned and touched up with black paint marker pen:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Time to drill and tap the back of the lower HDD plate so I can fix it to the front of the case. Used my drill press vice and some extra pieces of wood to stabilise the piece for drilling:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Then tapped:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Measured and drilled holes in the front of the case to connect through to the HDD bay pieces:

[​IMG]

This is why you wear safety glasses, kids! Snapped while drilling the holes in the front of the case.

[​IMG]

First part in place!

[​IMG]

Checking to make sure the back panel still fits, it does :)

[​IMG]

Cleaning up the top piece of the bay:

[​IMG]

Before and after:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Sitting loosely on top to see how it’d look, its all feeling pretty nice!

[​IMG]

Cleaning up the midplate piece now:

[​IMG]

Drilled and tapped the back edge of the main midplate piece so that the motherboard tray fixes to it:

[​IMG]

Up until this point I’d planned on using four stands to support the hdd bay and midplate, but after seeing how sturdy the midplate is with three fix points (two in the back and one in the side via the mb tray) I’ve changed my mind. There’s almost no weight on the piece and the fourth corner that’s not fixed is supported by the stands on the hdd bay. It’ll look a lot cleaner to not have the extra stands so I’ve decided to leave them out.

[​IMG]

To round this update out here’s the second last episode of Vengeful Disapproving Girlfriend – hope you guys are well! :)

[​IMG]

10. Moptimus

Moptimus Member

Looks really good mate, but enough of this parsimonious treatment with updates. Let it flow.

11. the3coopers

the3coopers Member

You'll probably hate me for saying this, but it would have been heaps neater and easier to just notch the bottom on the aluminium foot. :p

I have the same problems on my 650D build... they've added all manner of strange bumps and ribs to try and stiffen up the case (especially where things bolt on) because of dropping down so far in steel thickness. So flimsy - my steel 650D (large mid tower) case is the lightest of any case I own (and I have heaps, even some mATX ones)!

12. Homewares

Homewares (Banned or Deleted)

This is absolutely awesome, subbed!

13. Dumpty

Dumpty Member

I said the same thing to Humpty when me and him were looking through the update, i think benno did something similar for his mobo tray on the prodigy

dont know about the structure stuff you'll surely know more than me

super duper mid plate, cannot wait to see the SSDs planted in mid plate.

14. m3k

m3k Member

wow. its been over a year since you started this build! keep going man. the drive bays are looking good.

edit: i would have rather cut into the case too, easier to get it sitting flush with the minimal amounts of gaps imo

15. pieceofchance

pieceofchance Member

Oh Noes! Don't cut the case! You might void warranty or something at this point....

And please tell me the girls are using my wang as a sex toy...?

And if our womenz are all happy families, does that mean we get to go out now IRL? I would totally do you if you had a wood lathe... :lol:

16. aeries

aeries Member

one does not simply "void warranty" on a case.

17. WishBone17

WishBone17 Member

Hahaha!!
    OCAU memes! should get a thread going in the pub

18. the3coopers

the3coopers Member

It's more about making the cut neat and painting the edge, etc. Much harder to make it look good than simply grinding a bit off the bottom of the aluminium foot.

Well, at least it seems you have already trained 'em well enough to be doing your washing for you. :lol:

19. OP
    OP
    Saate

Saate Member

UPDATE – Drive Fixing

Always with the fixing! So in a drive bay setup like this the solid state drives are the easy part to fix, it’s the 3.5” drives that are making me think! Here’s a shot of a couple of the drives sitting in their respective slots, in this shot I’ve got a piece of wood blocking them from sliding through the second set of slots:

[​IMG]

Had a think about mounting options for a while and decided to experiment with 10mm acrylic. I set up a fence and cut a length:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Then cut that into three pieces:

[​IMG]

Since I want the pieces to be uniform some filing is in order. Here’s a before and after:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The length is perfect:

[​IMG]

Using the top piece of the bay as a template I sat the 3 x 3.5” drives inside their respective slots to get some measurements.

[​IMG]

All measured up, now to drill and tap

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Used a larger drill bit to countersink the holes a bit:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Testing the three drives in place with the supports attached:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

This shot from underneath really sold it to me – all fits in really well and will support great cable management!

[​IMG]

I’ll leave things today with a before and after shot of the cleanup of the supports:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Hope you guys are well, next up is polishing everything and putting it into the case once and for all!

20. touki

touki Member

Everything looks very professional. I love how the acrylic mounts have turned out.