Worklog: Massively (Update #65, 29th Nov – Final Pics + Aussie copper pipe fittings!)

Discussion in 'Modding Worklogs' started by Saate, Mar 29, 2012.

1. Stickeelion

Stickeelion Member

Alas it appears that I am late to the party :(
    but it seems to still going strong :D

Wow this is amazing, It was so interesting (and entertaining) that it was the first build log that I have ever read the entire contents of.

Keen to see it turns out Saate

(Loved those comics too :thumbup: )

2. Doughboy

Doughboy Member

Wow, the HDD stands look fantastic

...and congrats on the engagement.

3. OP
    OP
    Saate

Saate Member

Thanks mate :)

Thanks, Stick! Always makes me smile when I hear people have been sucked into reading the whole thing :)

Thanks Dough :)

4. crocodaVe

crocodaVe Member

Pro job as usual from you mate. Perspex mounts a great idea :D especially the sturdy 10mm version.

I've got a heap of engagement presents for you to add MASSIVELY to your asrenal.
    Congrats again on that. I know I've been a bit slack in dropping them off, but will be able to this week. They're in the car boot already. :thumbup:

5. D_MaN

D_MaN Member

I'm so pumped to see this all together.

6. Anthw27

Anthw27 Member

Love your work totally extreme...;)

7. DaveRS

DaveRS Member

Waiting impatiently here :lol:

8. pieceofchance

pieceofchance Member

UPDATES!!!

... Oh, and if the comic is going to include my dismembered wang at any stage, could it be a photo of it on the wall or something? They say the camera adds ten pounds... :lol:

9. OP
    OP
    Saate

Saate Member

Thanks dave, and thanks for dropping round all the swag! :)

Thanks DMan :)

It’ll be worth the wait, I promise :)

I'm pretty sure the wang was never to be seen again, although some say it spun off into its own crime-fighting cartoon series.

UPDATE – Assembly

It’s time to put it all together for (hopefully) the final time :) Lots of fine tuning and polishing coming up! I finally got around to buying a new base for my D5 pump, was a bit surprised to see this inside:

[​IMG]

As if my D5 doesn’t have enough to worry about! Here are the offending bits removed:

[​IMG]

..and with the base in place:

[​IMG]

Now if you’ve been following me very long you’ll have seen the copper pipe polishing I’ve done in the past using dremel buffing wheel attachments, which are about the size of a 20c piece. The dremel was a good choice for the small test run pieces, but with a lot of polishing ahead of me I decided I needed to step things up:

[​IMG]

Taking the right-side wheel off to attach a spindle for the buffing wheels:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The HDD bay stands are the first to get the treatment, 1000/1500 sanding and then the same brown/blue polishing compound I use on the copper. It’s hard to take photos of shiny stuff and accurately capture that shine, but here’s a before and after:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Sanding the larger more complex pieces is a huge pain in the ass! They’re tricky to hold and the holes catch the edges of whatever I’m using to sand. I had some success holding the piece and moving it against a piece of fixed sandpaper but ultimately it was too difficult to hold (and not sand myself) so the vise ended up being what I settled on:

[​IMG]

Getting there:

[​IMG]

Finished:

[​IMG]

Starting sanding on the larger midplate piece:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Getting there, kinda looks like a minecraft creep in this shot:

[​IMG]

Pretty much done, in different light to give you an idea of the finish:

[​IMG]

Into the case they go:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I love this shot:

[​IMG]

Putting bulkhead fittings in so I can start on the new loop:

[​IMG]

The heatshrink on the pump needs to be redone, which is unfortunate, but this shot shows you how it will look in position:

[​IMG]

Before and after shot of the underside of the midplate, the first shot is the old midplate with acrylic cover. It’s how terrible this looked that encouraged me to take the risk of working with the 5mm alu plate for the first time and create my own vision.

[​IMG]

Here’s the same shot with the new solid 5mm alu midplate, I’m so happy with the result:

[​IMG]

I’m out of time for the moment, so I’ll pick this up again next update. I’ll leave you a shot of the drives:

[​IMG]

Pretty crazy to be approaching 1000 replies and 250,000 views eh? Hope you’re all well! Keen to hear what you think so far and read your comments, they're one of the few things that keep me motivated lately when I'm tearing my hair out on the copper pipe - but thats a story for another time!

10. brayway

brayway Member

Looking awesome!
    Love the polished mid plates!

11. aeries

aeries Member

mate you can't leave us hanging like that

can't fucken wait to see this holy moly :thumbup:

dropped a shitload of dough and effort to get to this stage, must be exsaated :D

well done mate :)

12. pieceofchance

pieceofchance Member

Absolutely lovely mate, keep em coming :thumbup:

13. c_hegge

c_hegge Member

Looking too good for words mate. Loving it as usual.

14. mad_mic3

mad_mic3 Member

hi saate
    like a fine wine its only getting betta, keeps its rollin along:thumbup:

15. Dumpty

Dumpty Member

Looks awesome mate! Cannot wait to see the finished product.
    Oh dat midplate!

16. VirtualNinja

VirtualNinja Member

Awesome progress looking brilliant.

PS congrats on the engagement.

17. WishBone17

WishBone17 Member

bloody HELL Saate.
    the suspense is FML.

looks sick so far!

18. the3coopers

the3coopers Member

Looking great - polished alu looks awesome!

But what are you using to protect it? You can't just leave alloy like that, it'll oxidise and look like shit.

You'll need to anodise it or at least clear coat it (not a great choice), or it'll be dull grey in a pretty short time.

19. /invariance\

/invariance\ Member

Saate, as Coops points out with the oxidation, is the polishing compound a petroleum base or water? If it's oil based then the residue will offer some protection. Maybe worth considering running car wax over the al and cu for some extra protection.

20. OP
    OP
    Saate

Saate Member

Thanks Bray :)

Thanks mate :) I'll post more soon, don't worry!

Thanks :p although I might rephrase that fine wine to something like 'like an unopened can of coke it continues to maintain the appearance of being unspoiled' :p for me I won't entirely relax or be sure I can do this build until I've done it!

Thanks Dumpty, yeah pretty happy with the midplate! I think of all the hours filing and how the slots actually look straight, and wonder how I didnt screw it up!

Thanks, and cheers :)

Thanks Wishy :)

Thanks for the advice, fellas :) I've been using Attila's work as a guideline for a lot of the alu work, he's given me some advice a few times and actually has a bunch of guides online (link to polishing one).

The profin polishing bars are petroleum based so should confer some protection, but I've also done some tests with a top clear coat and not liked the look very much. My thoughts are that the polishing compound will probably offer enough protection based on what I've seen. If oxidization is going to eventually get to and I end up having to take it apart in a year to clean I think that'll be okay.

In terms of the copper pipe I'm more cautious, I took a small piece of the finished polished pipe and gave it three coats of a clear coat. I then carried it around in my pocket for a few days making sure I touched it directly with my hands. The clear coat did really well and a week later it was obvious the oils from my skin werent making it to the copper which was great. Since I didnt use any kind of primer I noticed a few spots where continued contact had started to craze it away, but that's perfectly acceptable considering the main reason for the coat is to prevent accidental contact with the pipe making fingerprints appear a week later.