Worklog: Massively (Update #65, 29th Nov – Final Pics + Aussie copper pipe fittings!)

Discussion in 'Modding Worklogs' started by Saate, Mar 29, 2012.

1. OP
    OP
    Saate

Saate Member

Have to pay it, was well played indeed :)

2. Stickeelion

Stickeelion Member

Here: http://www.overclock.net/t/1280153/pipe-bending-101 If you take your time to go through it there a stack of info, I don't know if you've seen this one before though. If the info is not there you could probably ask B-neg himself

3. OP
    OP
    Saate

Saate Member

Thanks mate, looks like it's grown a bit since last time I read but always fun catching up. I think the only issues I have with pipe bending these days really are the ones I create for myself, and while they're sometimes hugely frustrating to fix the challenge is always (retrospectively) rewarding :) It's also fun to get more confident as you go and test the boundaries of whats possible!

Time for an update I reckon.

Update – Polishing pipes, if you know what I mean (…I mean polishing pipes)

I took the loop apart to get started polishing it all up:

[​IMG]

Initial sanding with 1000/1500 grit:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Brown polishing compound:

[​IMG]

Blue polishing compound – this is the magic:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

See the imprinted writing on this piece? This was a length of the UK copper (not the stuff crane made for me) and I hadnt noticed it was so prominent until it was polished up. Fortunately, or unfortunately depending how you look at it, that particular piece was the one I would have to redo about four more times to get right!

[​IMG]

After polishing them up I gave all the pieces a few coats of this clear topcoat. I think I talked about this in a previous post but will rehash here. I was originally concerned that the topcoat wouldn’t be sufficient protection on the polished copper – that it’d either look crap, flake off easily or not provide adequate protection. What I ended up doing was carrying around a small piece of coated copper in my pocket for three days, making sure the oils from my hand were making pretty regular contact with it.

After the couple of days I was satisfied that the coat would be sufficient. From wear and tear there was one point I could where the topcoat was starting to craze, but in terms of oxidisation the copper was still untarnished a week later. That’s more than sufficient for my need which is basically preventing accidental-contact leaving fingerprints!

[​IMG]

Hanging the pieces out to dry inbetween coats:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Pieces finished – into the machine they go. Don’t worry about the visible o-ring coming out of the GPU, fixed it up later :)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

After some thought I decided the bottom two parts of the loop (midplate to GPU and res to midplate) were too direct and difficult to fit so I decided to redo them. Here’s an older pic to show you the two pieces I mean at the bottom:

[​IMG]

I figured out that it was easy to simplify these bends by changing fittings to reduce the complexity of each bend to that of a single 90 degree turn. Here’s what I ended up with:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Both pieces could be flipped around so the bend happens in the other direction but I kinda like the way they look. Time for round 2 of polishing these replacement pieces! Won’t you follow me on this amazing journey…again? :p

Raw:

[​IMG]

Sanded with 1000/1500 grit:

[​IMG]

Brown compound:

[​IMG]

Blue compound:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

..and finally, topcoating again with what little light remained in the day:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

All finished and the pieces tucked out of the way until I have time to continue on the loop:

[​IMG]

I’ll end this update with something that’s a little sad – the last vengeful disapproving girlfriend comic! The comic was in part to celebrate reaching 150,000 so I reckon being at nearly 250,000 now means it’s had a decent run. We’ll have to think up something new for the future maybe?

[​IMG]

Hope you guys are well – keen to hear what you think of the work! :)

4. mad_mic3

mad_mic3 Member

excellent as allways:thumbup:

5. pieceofchance

pieceofchance Member

Looking bloody magic mate :thumbup:

... Can't wait until I see the words "Just Add Water"

6. WishBone17

WishBone17 Member

Jizzed, jizzed everywhere!

7. BigDave

BigDave Member

Damm fine work but your still covering that great looking res?

What happened to the res bbracket you made?

8. VirtualNinja

VirtualNinja Member

The pipes are looking great but yeah not a fan of the one running infront of the res...fix it god damn it :lol:

9. Dumpty

Dumpty Member

Yum, blue compound! not that it would be edible. :sick:
    the pipes look so nice, ! :thumbup: in fact IMHO I think you've out done other people with non coated copper pipes! no expert opinion here tho just a fan!
    but i agree with VirtualNinja and BigDave I wanna see that sexy res :upset:

10. reeper250

reeper250 Member

Very nice work there. I'm currently in the process of building my own loop with copper pipe.

11. NickMate

NickMate Member

Great work on polishing those pipes mate, they look amazing. Love the setup and layout so far mate, can't wait for the final pics. Last home stretch:):D

12. Stickeelion

Stickeelion Member

wow, that's looking good :thumbup: are you going to keep the copper look on the pipes or get them chromed? I personally think they might fit in with the theme more if they were black or silver.

That's just me though, I don't think copper looks very good unless done in a steampunk styled build.

Don't take it too harshly though, You've gone above and beyond what many people can do.

13. Dumpty

Dumpty Member

yeah i agree with comment on copper pipe and the color
    but i think what Saate's done with the blue compound and polishing is really good, to me it looks as good as plated pipes

also completely irrelevant, i admire you speed test what kind of internet is that?

14. Stickeelion

Stickeelion Member

Well It's sort of cheating but it's not considering I pay $10,000 a year for it. This is the University of Queensland's internet, I put this as my speed test since I live at a college there, so it's basically my home internet. AFAIK it is difficult for home users to get this kind of speed since ISP only provide those plans to institutions.

15. datfreak

datfreak Member

Great work Saate! looks awesome

I vote to keep the copper polished as you have it already - coating that beautiful metal would cheapen it IMO. (like too much makeup on a perfect girl)

Can't wait to see how you route the wiring.

Last edited: May 20, 2013
  16. Dumpty

Dumpty Member

yeah i go to Deakin, and they also have insane net,
    i couldn't even get net like that in my area even if it was a dream
    i have no board band, no ADSL, ZILCH!
    mobile broadband is the only option in my area, its such a joke specially in this country! literally 100m away people are running ADSL2+
    any way excuse the rant
    /endrant

17. touki

touki Member

But it will oxidise won't it. I thought that was the reason for the top coat?

18. datfreak

datfreak Member

No you misunderstand - the top coat is fine(to preserve the copper shine), I just do NOT think the pipes should be chromed / blackened.

19. Dumpty

Dumpty Member

yeah neither, they look so nice after Saate polished them :tongue: :leet: :thumbup:

20. Stickeelion

Stickeelion Member

IMO copper only works well with more copper, black or white. copper with silver just seems very.... discordant

That's not to say I don't appreciate the long time it would have taken you to polish them Saate