Worklog: Massively (Update #65, 29th Nov – Final Pics + Aussie copper pipe fittings!)

Discussion in 'Modding Worklogs' started by Saate, Mar 29, 2012.

1. VirtualNinja

VirtualNinja Member

You raise an interesting point, then add the multi-coloured (red white and black sleeved cables and it will be getting very busy in there.

2. trippinonprozac

trippinonprozac Member

The copper is looking great mate!

Looks like you have gotten those bends pretty much spot on now. Cant wait to see some glamour shots with it all together.

3. OP
    OP
    Saate

Saate Member

Thanks fellas :)

Thanks mate – will see how the cable routing looks but I suspect it’s going to be obscured by sleeving anyway and wont really matter. I’ll see what options I have and I’m not above redoing that length if it means it’ll work out better in the end!

Thanks mate, and we’ll see :)

Thanks Dumpty – yeah getting to the brown/blue compound part of the process is easily the most enjoyable part of polishing. Just looks amazing, especially if you consider the photos don’t capture the beauty in its entirety.

Thanks Reeper! Would love to hear more about your own process – have you got a worklog or pics up somewhere?

Thanks Nick :)

I’m pretty comfortable with any kinda feedback so don’t worry that I’ll take anything harshly! :) At the end of the day if I think it looks crap it won’t stay, so have no fear around that! When I post up the next shots with the cabling you’ll see that it comes out really clean and cohesively. The copper stands out the most (as it should!) over all the silver colours (fittings, alu midplate, gpu blocks, cpu block) with red trimmings in the red sleeving and mb heatsinks.

Thanks Andy :) Tough to get proper daylight for shots lately with the miserable weather and daylight savings ended, might have to take it out somewhere for a proper glam shot session :)

4. VirtualNinja

VirtualNinja Member

This needs moar pics

pull the finger out Saate and get snapping :D

5. mad_mic3

mad_mic3 Member

any updates or you sleeping for the winter

6. MercyFlush

MercyFlush Member

Saate, It's really coming together now! :thumbup:

One thing has me curious thoguh, the lack of people talking about you getting a CNC? What's with that? I thought someone would have said something by now haha. IMO a CNC would be totally worthwhile if you're doing intricate cutting fairly often as you are going to save so much time using the CNC compared to doing it by hand. But don't get lazy, too many times I have seen someone use a CNC to cut out a square of plexiglass :confused:

7. crocodaVe

crocodaVe Member

It's hard to believe this is your first design/mod.
    Your shaping and finishing of aluminium, acrylic and pipes
    is second to none, Matt. Great skills.
    Now get cracking, nearly there mate. :)

8. OP
    OP
    Saate

Saate Member

Yeah Yeah! :p If it were up to me I’d sleep for the other 9 months of the year and stay up for winter, it’s my favourite season and the cold canberra weather is something I love.

Big points for you! :) After the build is finished I will indeed be purchasing a CNC. Actually the vengeful disapproving girlfriend has not only endorsed the purchase but told me she’d buy it for me as an engagement present – pretty cool eh?

At this stage I’ve been looking at the chinese 3040 and 6040 engravers and have done a huge amount of reading so far on what to look out for. After some of the eBay horror stories I’ve read I’ll probably source it from a local company and pay a little more for the piece of mind :)

I’m absolutely with you on the intricate cuts and complexity side of things. I’ve actually made a big list of projects I want to work on and have some cool stuff planned!

Thanks dave :)

UPDATE – Loop looping and securing top hdd bay piece

Time for an update :) I’ve got a few irons in the fire at the moment so although it’s been a few weeks between updates rest assured there’ll be some exciting news coming later this month! Very related - I’ve lost some old private messages, so if you were one of the folks after copper pipe can you reply here or send me another message? :)

Let’s get on with the update! I’ll start this one off with my solution to fixing the two hdd bay pieces together. For those just tuning in here’s what I’m talking about. The top-right aluminium piece is fixed to the case with two screws into the size but has nothing stopping it moving vertically:

[​IMG]

I thought about countersinking holes into the top of the supports but it gave me very little room to work with and I felt like the margin for error was incredibly small. I’d be beside myself if I ruined these pieces I’ve put so much work into!

After sitting on this problem for a while and getting some advice from Attila I came up with a workable solution – I’d secure the top plate to the bottom with a piece of 12mm aluminium round bar. This would allow me to put the screw in a more central (and less visible) part of the top plate.

After measuring about a million times, thinking about it for a bit, then measuring a million times more I punched the spot and drilled through the plates:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Depth-testing the countersink on a piece of scrap to make sure I do it perfectly on the real piece:

[​IMG]

After drilling for the countersink in the top piece it was time for another round of polishing:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The next step was preparing the aluminium round bar piece to fix inbetween the plates. I ran into trouble when I realised I lacked the proper equipment to mark and drill into the dead center of the circle. Was time for a visit to my father-in-laws garage :)

[​IMG]

He didn’t have a chuck attachment for the other side so I wasn’t able to do the drilling using the lathe, I was able to accurately mark the center with what he had though which was good enough. Had a bit of a play while I was there too :)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Back home I very carefully positioned the roundbar and drilled through:

[​IMG]

I love this macro shot:

[​IMG]

Time to clean the piece up a little before it goes into the build. I’ll use the old drill press lathe trick to do this:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Done!

[​IMG]

Putting it into action:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    …and finally with the top screw in. I’m really happy with how well it all works and how it will be practically invisible with the SSDs in place:

[​IMG]

Since it would be cruel to do an update without showing you how the revised lower loop pieces looked I’ll indulge you guys in a few shots :)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

..and to end things off tonight perhaps some preview shots of the cabling. It’s not final yet but I’ve tried routing it more tightly and havent really been satisfied with how it’s looked. What is obvious to me though is that the colour scheme and overall theme is really fitting together well!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Hope you guys are well – and as usual please feel free to inundate me with thoughts and comments :)

9. Moptimus

Moptimus Member

Looking great mate. Glad to see it is progressing nicely.

Just have to ask, did you turn yourself an aluminium butt plug on you father in law's lathe?

10. NeuDub

NeuDub Member

You've spent all that time bending and polishing the copper pipes and making them the focal point in the build… So why go covering it all up with red, black and white sleeved spaghetti?

Keep going. Looking good. :)

11. OP
    OP
    Saate

Saate Member

Thanks mate :) ...and nah, would have used wood for that :p

Thanks for the encouragement mate :) and I reckon I'm damned either way on the pipe/sleeving - hard to decide but I reckon I might have spent more time on the sleeving than the pipe! Ill experiment with more cable configs before I settle but it's looking more and more firm on the current layout.

12. Moptimus

Moptimus Member

Looking at it now, I can't help but ask, why no waterblock for the motherboard?

13. OP
    OP
    Saate

Saate Member

Maybe next time I think - would have made the loop work a fair bit easier to have the mobo block there. I have to remind myself how far ive come during this build in terms of confidence and modding skills - I can remember initially taking the case apart and being so unsure of myself that instead of drilling rivets I briefly considered just going air cooled. Can you imagine how boring that would have been? :p

14. self_slaughter

self_slaughter Member

Shhhhhhh!!!!
    You'll set him back another 6 months!

Looking nice by the way saate :)
    I aggree with NeuDub on the wiring though, spaghetti of individually sleeved multicoloured wires makes my stomach turn on what is otherwise an almost clinically clean looking build, but each to their own :thumbup:

15. the3coopers

the3coopers Member

Hi Saate - I have a question about the loop. Forgive me if it's a dumb question, but maybe I've missed something. Also note that I have NFI about water cooling systems.... this is about aesthetics of the pipework.

When I look at the copper pipes, it looks like they are somewhat "all over the place". There isn't much symmetry and they cross over in visually alarming ways.

Working back from the Res, why doesn't that pipe go into the LOWER port on the CPU block?

Then from the upper CPU port, why don't you run up the REAR rad connection?

In fact, why is the CPU block mounted like that rather than with the 2 ports aligned horizontally (so that the pipework liked up)?

Back to the pipes, why not come down from the FRONT rad connection, into the top GPU block?

If it was plumbed like that, it would get rid of that cumbersome double-cross-over and the 2 pipes almost touching just above the GPUs.

So that is my question. :lol:

16. BigDave

BigDave Member

Sadly Saate you've ruined it for me now by covering the res with all the GPU power cables :upset:surely you are able to use the other holes next to the mobo?

Last edited: Jun 6, 2013
  17. Stickeelion

Stickeelion Member

IMO the cables make look complete, It all works and makes the build come together. :)

18. OP
    OP
    Saate

Saate Member

Coops :) It’s weird to have you ask questions! I talked a lot (too much) about symmetry and my ‘rules’ for working with copper pipe a few posts back (link). If you want an example of ‘all over the place’ that’s the post you want to look at :p

I’ve spent a lot of time over the last year looking at any and every copper pipe build I could find and it’s a combination of that observation and my own foibles practising with copper that has formed my approach. The loop is the way it is because straight shot links look ugly and utilitarian and in my test runs really detracted from the form/function blend I was going for.

The crossover of the rad in/out pipes was a solution that allowed me to demonstrate technique at the same time as avoiding the issue with GPU -> Rad link being too straight. The crossover is a point of interest for the eye and is clearly the way it is because as the creator I decided to make it that way. That means something to me :)

Thanks mate :) Yeah it seems a few people are irked by the sleeving, it was a labour of love in the very early stages of this build and it feels good that I’ve handled every single wire going into it. A real sense of ownership in terms of this project for me. I’ll work on routing it a bit nicer I think (because I’d like that) but I’m fairly happy with the current look too.

Dave! Don’t let this be the end of us mate :p believe it or not your approval is something I look for when I’m posting these updates, so I’m always nervous to see you (and coops for that matter) post because I’m so anxious to see if it passed muster!

I’ve tried a few things with the cable routing so far – I tried routing directly into the spots next to the motherboard, basically making a 180 degree turn on the 24-pin and it didn’t look nice. I also tried going around the pipe (but not the res) and looping back again but it was too tight and didn’t look nice either.

I think one option I’ve got left to try is to route them tighter together. I might test it out using cable-ties to help the cables ‘remember’ to stay together initially so that even if they’re passing by the res they’re doing it in a nice formation so the end-result is more like the CPU 8-Pin coming out of the top of the motherboard (which I doubt people noticed in the pics posted previously). This is the one I mean:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

19. VirtualNinja

VirtualNinja Member

As with others the cables are the big issue everything else is looking beautiful and massive thumbs up.

The PCI-E wires are certainly a big problem have you looked into cable stitching?

This is one of my bitfenix 24pin cables stitched

Click to view full size!

Another possibility is hot glue, I haven't tried it yet but it should work well with MDPC sleeve

20. BigDave

BigDave Member

Don't worry buddy i'm still in your corner. Just seems a shame to hide a good looking res :p

Fogot to mention, Nice work on the ally bits :cool: