Worklog: Massively (Update #65, 29th Nov – Final Pics + Aussie copper pipe fittings!)

Discussion in 'Modding Worklogs' started by Saate, Mar 29, 2012.

1. Doughboy

Doughboy Member

Love the look of the loop.

But, there must be a better way to route the the cables, especially the mobo ones.

Can they go around the back of the res?

Otherwise :thumbup::thumbup:

2. Bastard Child

Bastard Child RIP

3. Kommandant33

Kommandant33 Member

No way - I love how the metal-work is so precise and exact, but the sleeving is just a little bit wild... I would only be that anal with the sleeving if it was copper sleeving...

4. Bastard Child

Bastard Child RIP

Saaaaate start over. I wanna see copper sleeving!

5. Menthu_Rae

Menthu_Rae Member

Just a question, how are you polishing the aluminium up so nicely? :) It looks great mate, nice work on the build! :thumbup:

6. self_slaughter

self_slaughter Member

Mate, at the end of the day it's your rig and it's your opinion that matters most.
    The amount of effort you've put into this build is absolutely unbelievable, the things that people personally like/dislike is all just a matter of personal taste.
    Regardless of taste I don't think anyone could deny that this is an absolutely astonishing rig.

Enjoy it mate. You've earned it 1000x over

Although it's probably due for an upgrade or 3 now :lol:

Bwahahaha I almost lost it to that. :thumbup:

7. the3coopers

the3coopers Member

Oh yeah... I remember all that, now that you point me back to it. Everything that you've done has been thoroughly and carefully considered - that is what makes this such a great build log (the only one I'm sub'd to). So I knew there was a reason for doing the pipework the way you did it, but I simply couldn't work it out last night. :p

8. the3coopers

the3coopers Member

Since I am a blunt bastard, I just say it how I see it :Paranoid:

Regarding the cables, I also find them a bit too "in the way". Covering the res is just awful. With such a lovely setup elsewhere, I wonder why you are so locked in to making the cables so bulky with that sleeve?

Many people here already know that I am a bit of a hater of individual cable sleeving - it is basically a "fad" that people seem to do for absolutely no reason other than "because everyone else does it". I don't like fads, especially in modding work, because they show a serious lack of innovation.

And in my mind, individual sleeving is a ridiculous thing to use in a mod where you are trying to build something unique, and so aesthetically clean. In your build, you are choosing to create something uber-special with the custom polished cooling loop and the awesome aluminium work. Then, at the end of the project, you seem to get hung up on using that bulky sleeving so it looks like a kiddie's build. And it's also created a problem because of it's size and cumbersomeness.

I can only offer my personal opinion... but I definitely think it would look a hell of a lot better with something a bit DIFFERENT to what almost every other build in the entire world uses for power cables. Consider this - why didn't you use standard PVC pipes for your cooling loop? Why did you manufacture a custom HDD mounting plate? Why are you copying everyone else for cabling?

OK - some ideas, which are probably crap.

A) Use standard black non-sleeved cables. Carefully bend them over a former to get a crisp, sharp bends and get them up, over and the hell out of the way using as little space as possible.
    - I'm currently considering importing a range of NON-sleeved cable extensions, which use thinner insulation so they are incredibly sleek. Take a look here: http://forums.overclockers.com.au/showpost.php?p=15386330&postcount=3168

B) Make up some 90° angled connectors, so that you only have to turn 90° straight out the back... rather than having to arch up and over. Actually, by using 90° connectors you can run the cables with a bit of a dogleg and straight along and away...
    Code:
                               _____
                              /     \
     ______                   |     |
     | |   \    rather than  | |    |
     [X]    \                [X]    |
             \_____                 |
                            ________/

C) Bundle the cables in groups then sleeve them. For example, use 4 sleeves of 6 for the 24 pin, and exit them separately out the 2 adjacent backplate openings.

D) Use standard cables, and make up some covers in copper sheet. Like metal ducts - or even better, use 1/2" copper pipe!

Anyway, that's my 2 cents. I only chuck it out there because it might inspire you to "look outside the box" and consider other alternatives. Of course, if you consider that barber-pole coloured MDPC sleeved cables are mandatory in the build, then feel free to ignore :lol:

Last edited: Jun 7, 2013
  9. Moptimus

Moptimus Member

I would have to say that it looks great. I think you could look at the routing of the cables through the slots on the mobo tray to tidy that up a bit.

Don't be afraid of passing in front of the res, I don't recall but I don't think you were planning fancy coolant?

The only thing that occurs to me, why the cross over cpu to rad to gpu? If you swapped in and out port on the rad there would be no crossover.

10. OP
    OP
    Saate

Saate Member

Thanks mate, and yeah have looked into cable stitching – watched the frank stitching videos a few times and have bought the right kind of thread and kit to do it. Hot glue seems a bit dodgy but it’s definitely tempting! :p

Thanks Dave :) Yeah the res is a beauty for sure – I’ve been on the cabling case and next update I’ll have something I’m sure you’ll be pleased with :)

Thanks Dough – I’ve actually got the SATA cables going past the back of the res and I’m not even really comfortable with them doing that, but fear not I’ve solved the cable routing issue!

BC :) Interesting little gadgets, have been running through different solutions like that in my head while resolving this cabling issue. Somewhere, from some random time in my life, I can remember seeing a piece of gridded plastic that would be perfect for initial nice-routing.

I know it’s perfect, but for the life of me have no idea where I saw it :p My dad’s a builder and I’m pretty sure it was on a building site. I want to say bullet-holder but it’s more probable what I’m thinking of was a holder for ramset cartridges or something like that. I’m sure it’ll come to me :)

I’m both amused and pleased that the metalwork seems precise and exact, so thanks :p You won’t have to worry about the wild sleeving much longer either :)

Thanks Menthu! The polishing is pretty much the same process for the copper – for the flat surfaces that are already pretty scratch free I’ll sand with 1000 grit then 1500 grit paper followed by polishing with the profin bars. The brown bar/compound is used with a stiched rag buff wheel on my bench grinder first and once I’m happy with that I change to the loose leaf rag buff wheel and the blue compound. Comes out very nice but the copper pipe is the most impressive looking I think.

Thanks mate, really nice comment to read :) While it’s definitely about what I personally like, and I’m usually confident enough to leave advice if I don’t agree with it. This wasn’t really one of those times though and you guys have definitely won me over with the suggestions on the cable routing.

I think this is a really fascinating comment and it’s interesting to see where your anti-sleeving perspective comes from! For me it was countless hours spent looking at ‘rate my sleeving’ and ‘rate my cable management’ forum pics that inspired me to do my build and you know what? The reason I did it was absolutely not that everyone was doing it – it was that everyone was doing it wrong! :p

I’ve got a folder of pics buried somewhere with just awful, awful cable management. It blew my mind that not only did people think it was acceptable, they took it a step further and posted pics! Stuff like crazy wiring, terrible sleeving jobs, dodgy extensions, bodgy paracord..etc etc. I made a deal with myself that I’d buy the PSU and sleeve it – and if I could sleeve it and felt I did better than those others, then I’d trust myself to progress to an actual build.

So it’s always been about doing things my way, and going in a different direction. To me it’s a great feeling to think I’ve had my hands on every single wire inside the machine and that it’s all the way it is because it’s the way I wanted it to be. That’s unique to me!

The 90’ connector idea is a really good one – I’ll have to check out what kind of 90 and even 180 connectors are floating around for future builds. I’ve sorted the routing out though, to what I’m sure will be your satisfaction. You’ll have to wait a few more days to see :)

Thanks mate, yeah the cables are now routed through the mb slots rather than around the res. No fancy coolant is being used but I’m sure it’ll look nicer now that the cable routing is fixed anyway :) For the crossover reason I talked about this a page or two back, I think in a response to 3coopers – basically it looks better with the crossover :)

11. the3coopers

the3coopers Member

The 90 degree adaptors that I ended up finding online were custom made. Be good if more motherboards had them inbuilt - I mean it's not as if you continually need to be plugging and unplugging the motherboard power, eh?

Same with video cards. I wonder why they always put the PCI-e power up on the top edge of them, rather than having a recessed socket so that the cables could be hidden BELOW at the rear of the PCI-e slot? I guess it's ePeen... hey check out my new GPU - it's so powerful it needs 14 x 8-pin power connectors and the sleeved extensions cost me more than the card! :lol:

I think that with the cables run down into those closest holes (which is what I am guessing you're doing) it'll look good. Hell, the whole build is awesome...

As for your other comments re: messy cables, I totally agree. I think that the general concept of the sleeving is OK, but the way that some people do it (and are proud to show off) is pathetic. Sleeved extensions is something that I really struggle understanding, they are just "odd"... are they really classed as "modding"?

That is precisely why we are all following this build. It's totally not being built to make any of us happy, so whilst we chuck our 2c in to stir you up, at the end of the day you're the one who has to look at the bloody thing. It's basically the same for that pink/purple build that's around the forums somewhere. That thing makes me upchuck when looking at it, but I cannot fault the quality of the work.

I'm a case modder from way back - in fact I modify everything that I own (cars, furniture, house, everything). But I'm into stealthy stuff... performance and function is what I chase, then my task is to make that "invisible". I do everything in my power to hide the mods! I build shelves and cupboards and hide all the computers and server and networking away where I can't see them.

So your build is really interesting and exciting to me, and I love watching it. And I am glad that you humour our continual interruptions. :Paranoid:

Last edited: Jun 14, 2013
  12. Stickeelion

Stickeelion Member

updaaaate Saate! :p I can't wait to see the finished product :thumbup:

13. OP
    OP
    Saate

Saate Member

Update – Side panel mod and Cabling

Time for another update! So…first things first, though, before fixing the cable routing recently I modded the case side panel to add a window. I’d better show you that process first otherwise it’ll be out of sync and you’ll wonder why it seems I’ve changed the cables back.

Suzie was away for the weekend so I’ve taken over the kitchen and dining room – not quite as cold as being stuck in the garage! I started out by covering the side panel with painters tape:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Next I took some manual measurements of the inside of the case to figure out how much clearance I wanted/needed on the midplate and sides. Once I had a rough idea I started drawing up cutting lines on the panel:

[​IMG]

Being paranoid – I replicated the measurements on a piece of cardboard then cut it out. That enabled me to hold the cardboard ‘window’ in place where the side panel would be to see if there was anything obvious I’d missed. I could then also use the template as a quick reference before I cut the acrylic to make sure it was going to be the right size:

[​IMG]

Now for the rounded corners! Here’s what I was thinking of doing to make them – using a compass from the corner point then creating circles from the intersection points and finally a fourth circle from their intersection points to arrive at the perfect corner:

[​IMG]

..and here’s what I ended up doing instead. Sometimes modding is about pausing for a moment and saying “wait, idiot, do you really need to overcomplicate it?” :p

[​IMG]

Side panel clamped down so I can start the cutting, first using the dremel to make a starting hole for the jigsaw:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Then on with the cuts:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

It’s kinda hard to see where you’re going with a jigsaw, messed up the bottom left corner a little bit but it’ll come out fine :)

[​IMG]

..all done!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Before I tidy up the edges and cut the window one more check to make sure the window is the right size:

[​IMG]

Tape off and some u-channel, not too shabby I think!

[​IMG]

With the front panel on as well, I still need to make up some acrylic panels for the holes there:

[​IMG]

Alrighty then, side panel blah blah wonderful that’s great – lets get on with the main show eh? Fixing up this cable routing disaster! :p I did a lot of this at night so the photos are a little bit potato-cam, but they show a relevant part of the story so I’m sharing them anyway. I started out by freeing all the cables up so I could group them in lots of 6 and temporarily cable-tie:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Makes a huge difference seeing the cables more tightly routed. If I wasn’t sold before I’m definitely sold now that this is a better way to go:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

After getting the cables together I made use of some p-clips on the back to hold the cables in position and route them down to the PSU nicely. I took the PC outside over the weekend to get some better shots of that, here’s the back still in progress – I’ll probably replace the 1:4 fan splitter visible, but we’ll see.

[​IMG]

Final shots for this update, I feel a lot better about the cable routing. Once it’s perfect the cable ties will come off too:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Dying to hear what you guys think! The big question to 3Coopers, BigDave and co – am I accepted ‘back into the family’ after the cable routing changes? :p

14. Carcin0Genic

Carcin0Genic Member

Looking good saate! The tighter cables are heaps better.
    The only thing I would suggest is to move the u channel around a bit so the join isn't on the corner, should look much neater :)
    :thumbup:

15. VirtualNinja

VirtualNinja Member

Yes, the cables are so much better and glad you like them after our hounding about them :)

Getting into the home straight now, congrats.

16. Moptimus

Moptimus Member

Looks real sexy mate. Have you thought about putting some card on the mechanical HDD? or are you happy with the printing on the front?

17. OP
    OP
    Saate

Saate Member

Thanks mate - yeah the corner u-channel was a bit of a newbie ballsup on my part, I'll move it around :)

Thanks mate :) Yeah pretty exciting eh?

Thanks Moppy! Yeah I've had plans for replacement stickers on the spinning drives for a while but since the existing stickers are an unusual size it's thrown me design-wise. I made up the stickers below but don't really like them, they'll probably look fine on the drives but i've shelved the idea for the time being until I can think about it properly.

[​IMG]

Hope you guys are well, have an awesome weekend :)

18. VirtualNinja

VirtualNinja Member

19. NeuDub

NeuDub Member

Cables look much better. :thumbup:

Can we get a photo looking straight-on at the hardware to get a better look at the cables? All the current finished cable photos are from odd angles. This way we can compare apples to apples with the previous spaghetti cables.

20. OP
    OP
    Saate

Saate Member

Makes sense! Is there a template somewhere that might save me time measuring the drives up?

Sure thing :) Ill have to take one in the morning, I think a combo of hiding work from the next update and light on the day somehow got together and conspired to prevent better shots. :)