Worklog: Massively (Update #65, 29th Nov – Final Pics + Aussie copper pipe fittings!)

Discussion in 'Modding Worklogs' started by Saate, Mar 29, 2012.

1. pieceofchance

pieceofchance Member

Really coming along (slowly...) any chance you are going to put water in the loop at some stage? :D

2. VirtualNinja

VirtualNinja Member

Not that I know of, it was a quick n dirty job, guess I could scan the drive and make one

3. Dumpty

Dumpty Member

Now it looks so much more sexier.
    It's insane, also love side panel, you've really done that well, it covers the right amount of components!
    Omg Saate I love it now! :thumbup:

4. the3coopers

the3coopers Member

Cables look much better routed "more sharply" down. It's definitely better having them in tight groups rather than the traditional "spaghetti monster" style.

Whilst it would probably require de-pinning again, perhaps you could make up some kind of aluminium or copper cable clip thingies that would keep then in check when you remove the cable ties?

Also, have you considered adding a cover over the motherboard tray, so that the only the minimum number of opening are visible?

5. brayway

brayway Member

Looks awesome mate!

6. kangathekat

kangathekat (Banned or Deleted)

Should route the cables thru copper pipes also lol I bet that would look awesome :)

7. BigDave

BigDave Member

Very nice, Now i'm feelin the luv. Saate do like them like this also?

I the issue is that there're so damm long :(

8. panman9

panman9 Member

This build is really coming along so far and I'm loving the new cable management, it really tidy's up the whole pc and fits much better with the clean theme of the rest of the build.

One point on the side window though, and it's just a suggestion , I've always thought that u channel molding always kind of subtracted from the quality of some builds and in this case I think it would be really neat if you made the acrylic piece for the side window milled to be flush with the panel. Obviously it's allot more work then the standard mounting, but I think with the attention to detail shown so far it would be nice small detail that might go unoticed but could add to the build as a whole.

Anyway just sharing my opinion , feel free not to take on board, it's your build after all and your the one that has to live with it. In any case keep up the good work I eagerly await more updates.

Cheers Tony

9. Stickeelion

Stickeelion Member

Saate why don't you just try a small rectangular label in the centre of the drives leaving most of the Drive with the bare metal look? Imo that would provide the cleanest look which would work well with the rest of the build

10. NeuDub

NeuDub Member

Take a photo dead-on (or scan it) and then place the image into Adobe Illustrator and trace over the outline using the pen tool. Next, toggle the rulers on (command+r on MAC; ctrl+r on PC) and scale the outline to the appropriate size (hold down shift while resizing from the corner anchor) and job's done.

A few minutes and you'll have your template. :thumbup:

11. m3k

m3k Member

keep your dpi the same and if your scanner does good 1:1, ull have a perfect sticker- maybe do like 5mm bleed.

12. OP
    OP
    Saate

Saate Member

Thanks for all the label suggestions - I'll come up with something soon :) Have had wisdom tooth issues over the last week and have been laid up for a good number of days waiting for two different antibiotics to take the pain away - I have to say the forced pain-meditation has been a humbling experience!

I'll write up an update on the pump stand this week and in the mean time wanted to post that side-on shot I said I would!

[​IMG]

Hope you guys are well :)

13. c_hegge

c_hegge Member

Man, that looks good! :thumbup:

Sorry to hear about the wisdom tooth trouble. That can be very painful.

14. Kommandant33

Kommandant33 Member

Have you already made a cover for the SLi bridge?

Looking very tidy, Saate. Very tidy.

15. BigDave

BigDave Member

Saate, That is F*&king excellent :thumbup:

16. Doughboy

Doughboy Member

Looking the biz Saate!

Great job!

17. NickMate

NickMate Member

Looking really good Saate, love the 24pin ATX cable route behind the resovior. Can't wait to see it 100% done although I doubt it will ever be, as with all builds there's always extra things to add.

18. NeuDub

NeuDub Member

Strong effort. :thumbup:

The 24-pin and PCI-E cables are looking much better. The overall aesthetic is both effective and impressive. Well done so far. :)

19. OP
    OP
    Saate

Saate Member

Thanks mate :)

Thanks Kommandant! Yeah I've made the SLI cover up but wanted to light it with LEDs - I think I might ditch that idea for the time being and just attach it plainly instead!

Woohoo :) Thanks Dave!
    Thanks Dough!

The 24pin actually goes straight behind the case. The cables going behind the rest are HDD SATA connections. Might not be 100% but we're getting there!

Thanks Neu :)

Update – Pump stand

Time for an update, as I mentioned the other day I’ve been offline a bit due to my wisdom tooth fun. So you guys arent waiting more time until the next proper update I wanted to share the history I’ve gone through with the design for the pump stand which I recently completed.

After settling on the midplate design with the pump protruding through I’ve spent a good number of hours trying to figure out the best way to secure it there. Initially a lot of sketches and brainstorming:

[​IMG]

For some reason when I was brainstorming all this I kept coming back to mounting brackets attached to the underside of the midplate. I’m not sure why this was so appealing to me but a lot of my early designs focused on this idea.

I started with a template based on the mount that came with the pump and modified it from there. Vitruvian…pump anyone? :p

[​IMG]

Settled on my test designs then translated those to solid edge:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The idea was that I’d use two of these mounts on the underside of the midplate. Both reaching out and attaching to a side of the pump each. After printing the designs out I made cardboard versions to test the look and feel:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

They fit, but the base part wasn’t very space efficient so needed a redesign:

[​IMG]

Made another cardboard prototype – here’s the old and new to give you an idea how more space efficient the second design was:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

At the time I was happy enough with that version of the mounts and shelved the design for future when the midplate was done. Fast forward most of a year to my recent overhaul on this – I took one look at the under-side mounting and scrapped it. One lunchtime at work I sat down and sketched out a simpler design:

[​IMG]

Which turned into this:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Way less stuffing around this time. Decided to make the sides out of 10mm acrylic, clear is not my preference but it’s what I’ve got to work with. Measured out designs on a larger piece then cut that out using the bandsaw:

[​IMG]

Cut again and now I’ve got the two side pieces:

[​IMG]

Had a think about the best way to cut the grooves out and ended up settling on the Dremel Trio. I stuffed around a bit setting up a jig and the grooves looked okay after a few passes:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Used the stock mount as a guide for the screwholes:

[​IMG]

Centering so I can punch before drilling them. I’ll drill the two pieces together so they line up properly.

[​IMG]

After a few test fits and some filing, it’s on!

[​IMG]

Making the base – I decided to try this the first time with 3mm acrylic:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Creating a hole to use to secure the stand to the case:

[​IMG]

Pretty!

[​IMG]

To tidy up the edges I took one of the sanding barrels that came with the Dremel Trio and used it on my drill press – don’t breathe this in! :p

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Finished base piece – or alternatively, this is what my neighbour uses for tv reception:

[​IMG]

Parts just sitting together:

[​IMG]

Stand attached to the pump, the rubber band is to force the sides to hug the base so I can use IPS-Weld acrylic solvent to join them:

[​IMG]

Solvent applied and drying:

[​IMG]

Little bit of fun with the solvent – cutting and reattaching part of an acrylic rod :p

[​IMG]

Bad shot of the pump in place after testing it – I’ve since ditched the barb fittings for compression fittings so fear not :)

[​IMG]

There ended up being three problems with the pump stand as it was – first the hole I’d drilled was only big enough to fit an M3 thread, secondly it didn’t let me line the pump stand up concentricly with the hole in the midplate. Finally the acrylic solvent wasn’t doing a very good job of convincing me it had bonded well – it felt like it’d break away fairly easily.

When I realised I’d need to re-drill the mounting hole I decided to redo the entire base – this time in 10mm acrylic as well so I could screw the sides into it AND use acrylic solvent. No more worrying then! Here we go again:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Next to the old one – looks a lot heftier eh? Also a little scifi :p

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I drilled a series of holes for the center this time and then connected them. That way I’d have a little play in lining up the pump with the midplate hole:

[​IMG]

Drilled and tapped into the sites of the new base piece:

[​IMG]

Finished:

[​IMG]

It’s all together now and in place in the build, but you’ll have to wait for the next update to see that. I also received one of these bad boys from Plextor via the contest OCAU had, so I’ll be uploading a detailed review and more vengeful girlfriend stuff to go with it soon 

[​IMG]

Hope everyone’s doing well! As always looking forward to your thoughts and feedback, especially the 'what the hell were you thinking with that original design?!' ones :p

20. pieceofchance

pieceofchance Member

Looking sweet man... keen to see where the new VGF goes this time... :thumbup: