Worklog: Massively (Update #65, 29th Nov – Final Pics + Aussie copper pipe fittings!)

Discussion in 'Modding Worklogs' started by Saate, Mar 29, 2012.

1. walker_2003

walker_2003 Member

yeah neon green with cold cathodes woot

2. Red Lady

Red Lady Member

WOW first time i've seen this looks fantastic :thumbup:

3. OP
    OP
    Saate

Saate Member

Thanks Red :)

Filled the loop up again today for the 3rd time - no leaks finally and the pump is running smoothly! It's been running now for about 5 hours and looking good so will get to booting and OS install either tonight or tomorrow morning :)

4. NickMate

NickMate Member

Sounds awesome. I would run your loop for at least 24 hours before anything else. It would be a pain if you install windows and get around to setting it all up to find a small leak. Not that I'm jinxing it:Paranoid:

5. OP
    OP
    Saate

Saate Member

Yeah I think you're right, copper parts of the loop are pretty rock solid though I think - ill leave it running overnight anyway and see if I'm feeling the magic in the morning :)

6. NickMate

NickMate Member

No better feeling than waking up and seeing no leaks in your loop. Wish I still had a loop in my gaming rig, stuck with the damn H100i:D

7. deluxe

deluxe Member

Hello Saate

Glad to see this beast is nearly online! Your attention to detail is really paying dividends now.

I've lurked the Massively log since you began and recently came back for a full re-read, reading it end-to-end is an epic saga. Three things occurred to me during the re-read:

1. You've levelled up in several disciplines
    2. You must have a pretty decent tool selection now
    3. All of the3coopers's tips should be a modding almanac

Looking forward to seeing Massively completed... press on!

8. OP
    OP
    Saate

Saate Member

Hah I agree on the relief in seeing no leaks but not with the loop-envy sentiment, what a pain in the ass this water cooling business is! :p

Deluxe, thanks so much for the kind words! In regard to the levelling up it's actually pretty crazy, I look at my initial posts and suddenly get reminded of how little I knew about what I was doing. Looking at the filing work on the 5mm aluminium HDD bay makes me really proud and happy with how far people have helped me come on this journey!

Will get around to posting a small update later on - in short the 24 hour leak test went perfectly, I powered the machine up and to my surprise it started perfectly! Have since discovered there's a circulation issue with the loop that I'm trying to work through but I'll post more on that later.

9. Moptimus

Moptimus Member

Not related to the odd pump orientation? :lol:

10. OP
    OP
    Saate

Saate Member

Definitely not :p and even if it was I'd probably bend the truth to mitigate the told-you-so bashing that would be incoming! I think the issue may be around the amount of water that fits into the 480mm rad - CrocodaVe suggested running the loop upside down to make sure the rad is filled which I'll give a go tonight.

11. BigDave

BigDave Member

you'd need these mate :lol: :lol:

[​IMG]
    Click to view full size!

12. Moptimus

Moptimus Member

Yeah, there is always going to be issues with top mounted rads and filling them. Try leaning over on to one side while the loop is running (only if you are sure of your connections and are not relying on them holding things in place.)

13. D_MaN

D_MaN Member

Saate, kept us posted!
    Please:D

14. OP
    OP
    Saate

Saate Member

UPDATE – The PC is running! Some thoughts and links while I wait for final photos

Hope everyone is doing well. It’s been over a month since my last update and I’m exceedingly happy to report that the build is up and running! This update will be a little thin on pictures since I’m still trying to find a nice 700x700mm lamp table to sit the computer on in my office and don’t have final build pictures yet.

So far I’ve been really impressed with how well the SLI 680 cards are working. The nvidia drivers for SLI have improved a lot since my SLI 460 cards too. In the past if I ran the screens as a single 7680x1440 monitor it was great for games but as soon as I wanted to use apps they’d maximise across the three screens which was annoying – I’d have to keep swapping between SLI modes which got old quickly.

The newer drives seem to have built in fencing/boundaries based on the application which is awesome, when I maximise firefox it maximises to the 2560x1440 size of whatever monitor it’s on when I clicked the button – awesome! I’m now able to SLI permanently running the triple 27” screens as a single 7680x1440 monitor – and the gaming is brilliant!

Water temperatures are pretty good too (based on my limited knowledge!). Under no load - just windows running 7680x1440 the water temperature floats a few degrees above room temperature. Under full load triple-screen games at full settings the water temperature jumps up about 8 degrees. I havent done any overclocking yet but would appreciate feedback/advice on what to expect temperature-wise.

I havent played too many games yet – a bit of Borderlands 2 and Bioshock Infinite to see the triple screen quality was like. Any suggestions on other games to try? My steam game inventory is HERE if anyone wants to suggest games to try :)

Show us (dodgy) pics already!

Ok ok, so I’ll pick up where I left off last time - I think I mentioned that I was going to add some padding to the bottom of the pump stand, here’s what I ended up going with:

[​IMG]

I took this shot with my phone a few moments after powering it up for the first time, the quality isnt great but I was so incredibly happy when I took it. I genuinely expected something to short – from something I’d done wrong – and for our switchbox to cut the power to the house. When it didn’t, and when I saw that MASSIVELY logo light up…best feeling ever!

[​IMG]

The very first thing I saw on the screen:

[​IMG]

Temporarily set up on my kitchen dining table – Suzie was a huge fan of all my crap being on the dining table too :p

[​IMG]

Inline water temperature sensor:
    [​IMG]

Radiator fans running:

[​IMG]

Shot of the reservoir:

[​IMG]

What’s left to do?

1. Spinning drives are not detecting, I think it’s a driver/chipset controller driver issue which needs some additional investigation and general stuffing around. I’ll tackle that when I’ve got the time and mental inclination.

2. The pipe link between the lower GPU and midplate needs to be checked. I’ve got a cloth towel under the pipe and it doesn’t leak at all but if I remove the cloth I notice miniscule amounts of water begin to make their way through (less than a drop over half an hour) so I suspect the pipe may just be a bit short. Beyond being a slight annoyance its not a huge deal though.

3. Final build shots – I’ve been trying to rope a photographer friend into coming around to help take some final shots but so far havent been succesful. I could try taking them myself but am not quite up to speed on the best ways to do long exposure/low light shots so I might have to see how I go.

Lastly a few more shots of the office - I’ve changed rooms in the house so I can have the PC in a better/more prominent location and get a bit more light compared to the old room. Ironically the photos were taken in pretty poor light again with my phone, I’ll go above and beyond with the final shots rest assured:

[​IMG]

Shot of the PC at the moment, a 700x700mm square lamp table will be perfect for that spot and will elevate the machine to its rightful place!
    [​IMG]

I chose some of my favourite shots from the build and got canvas prints for the wall opposite the PC, they’re a good reminder of the build for me and I think they fit in pretty well.

[​IMG]

That’s it for the moment, it’s been too long and I wanted to give you guys an update even though the biggest/final update is yet to come.As always I’d appreciate any comments, advice or feedback - hope you guys are well!

15. mad_mic3

mad_mic3 Member

looking excellent as usual,
    you got a ghost or vengful girlfriend that keeps moving that glass ;)
    +1 for you having a go at the photo shoot, your pic"s of holiday were pretty good :thumbup:

16. aeries

aeries Member

beautifully done :)

but bit OCD about the bottom tube

when you gonna fix it?

and wheres the window sidepanel l0l

17. kangathekat

kangathekat (Banned or Deleted)

Love the idea of the canvas prints, should do a printout of the comic strips aswell lol

18. VirtualNinja

VirtualNinja Member

Congrats on getting it all up and running. Have you thought about white LED strips, the machine is a work of art and it needs that final touch.

loving the canvas prints that's a really nice touch.

19. BigDave

BigDave Member

20. pieceofchance

pieceofchance Member

It's a proud, proud day...

And as I said before; any leak is a leak, is a nightmare! Have to start again from scratch now... :D