Worklog: Massively (Update #65, 29th Nov – Final Pics + Aussie copper pipe fittings!)

Discussion in 'Modding Worklogs' started by Saate, Mar 29, 2012.

1. the3coopers

the3coopers Member

Yep - a leak anywhere means that all pipework is suspect.

All the copper work must be done again, just in case. :lol:

2. OP
    OP
    Saate

Saate Member

Thanks mic – I think I’d be fine to take reasonable photos of the full thing once I find that table, what I’d really like to do though is take some low light/long exposure type shots. When it comes to setting that kinda thing up I have no idea apart from ‘use a tripod dummy’. :)

Thanks mate :) Yeah the not-quite-right pipe will be fixed, probably this weekend. Although it’s a pain it’s not TOO much work even if I have to rebend/sand/polish/coat it. Maybe 1-2 hours at a guess. I’ll drain it and take a look first to see if it’s a few mm too short or if the problem is an o-ring or something. At this stage I’m reasonably certain I’ll need to redo that piece.

Have got the sidepanel off at the moment while I run it and game. I’ve got the temperature sensor display underneath the midplate so side off helps me be able to see it :) One thing I didn’t consider in terms of case design is that I was obviously going to end up having the case sideways with the window always facing me. I was planning to put the LCD display doover in the front panel but I see now that’d be a bit useless – I’d never see it! Not sure if I’ll just leave it out at this stage or what.

Thanks Kanga! Thought about doing the comic strips but there’s too many to really do them justice, I’m sure there’ll be other ways I can display them in future though.

Thanks VN! Yeah I’ve got multiple reels of LED strips but havent been able to figure out any nice ways to diffuse the source. I’ll think about it though :)

Thanks Dave!

Hah you know I read both of these comments at face value, especially coops, and for the briefest of moments was confused why you thought I should do it all again! Thanks fellas :)

While I’m at it! I still need suggestions on games and also any suggestions on how I should run gpu benchmarks later on. With a multi gpu/screen setup I’d get drastically different benchmark results running the cards as a single7680 x 1440display versus running both cards on a single 2560x1440 display. Whats the generally done thing when it comes to that? or do the benchmarking progs work all that out?

3. c_hegge

c_hegge Member

*waits for faulty motherboard diagnosis* :D

Just kidding. That would be a disaster. It looks great. I just wish I had the time and patience to do mods like this.

4. VirtualNinja

VirtualNinja Member

are the LED's reels this type

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Waterproof-600-LEDS-Cool-White-DC-12V-5M-3528-SMD-LED-Strips-Strip-Light/120953077344?ssPageName=WDVW&rd=1&ih=002&category=33713&cmd=ViewItem

I have a reel of the white 600 LED and Blue 300 LED and have found the white ones dim over time, the blue ones are fine. I've just orders a white 300 led reel to see if it just an issue with the former.

For diffusion you could use a frosted perspex strip with a channel cut in it to sit over the led's. Spray on frost should do the job.

http://www.doitbest.com/main.aspx?pageid=64&sku=796125

5. OP
    OP
    Saate

Saate Member

Haha mate, I wouldnt be surprised! I'm dealing with the issue a little bit at a time so I'll see - but worst case I can cope with the NAS storage and SSD drives. I'm sure it wont come to that though :)

Thanks, yeah they're exactly like those - I've also got a crapload of single component LEDs for other projects so no shortage of lights to use. I'll have to experiment with lightsources I guess but at the moment it looks pretty good how it is. We'll see!

6. cvidler

cvidler Member

White LEDs are blue ones with a phosphor coating to convert most of the blue light into other colours to give a white overall effect. The phosphor does wear out.

But it shouldn't be an appreciable difference for tens of thousands of hours run time.

7. VirtualNinja

VirtualNinja Member

This happened quickly over a month some are bright some aren't using 12v.

8. /invariance\

/invariance\ Member

Possibly P-N degredation?

9. Jimba86

Jimba86 Member

excellent work!

this looks great! :D

10. the3coopers

the3coopers Member

Probably overheating. Those flexible strips don't have conductive cooling, they rely on convection only. That doesn't work very well at all, hence you need to keep the drive current way down if you want them to last.

11. OP
    OP
    Saate

Saate Member

UPDATE – Loop piece replacement and SLI bridge

A couple of weeks between drinks – I’m terrible, I know! – but you’ll be pleased to know I’ve been happily gaming away on the computer and it’s been an absolute treat. I’ve played Borderlands 2 and had a quick play at Bioshock Infinite and Metro: Last Light so far which all work great at 7680x1440. Here’s a few screenshots:

Bioshock Infinite(See full size)
    [​IMG]

Civ V(See full size)
    [​IMG]

Borderlands
    [​IMG]

I also played through the first few missions of Startcraft 2: HOTS but since have been distracted with Diablo 3. Unfortunately it doesn’t really work at 7680x1440 – I can run it windowed at that res and it looks great but the HUD gets spread across the three screens which isn’t the best.

I got the spinning drives working – after ruling out drivers as the problem I tested with a different power cable and they came to life. After all that! Glad to have them working and to have some proper non-SSD storage to fill up :)

So let me show you the pipe piece I replaced! It was the lower-right piece linking the midplate to the bottom GPU – I noticed that over about 15 minutes a tiny drop of liquid was forming around the fitting, if I put a cloth against the piece between the midplate and pipe then it stopped leaking altogether. So it seemed the piece was probably a mm or two too short – annoying!

[​IMG]

I’ve figured out that the best place to fill and drain the loop is our main bathroom – it’s well lit and doesn’t matter if water goes everywhere. The cable management on the back isn’t finalised and is a little crazy at the moment, so you’ll have to forgive me there.

[​IMG]

After failing to find a tray to catch the draining water and momentarily considering putting the case over the bath I was pretty chuffed to figure out this simple solution:

[​IMG]

The case is pretty heavy, so once the water is drained from the loop there’s still the tricky matter of draining parts of the loop that don’t gravity drain. I could turn the case upside down but that’s a big pain – instead here’s the simple system I’ve figured out:

[​IMG]

The flexible tubing that goes into and out of the pump uses Bitspower d-plug fittings which are double o-ring push fittings with a male/female side. They’re easy to use and function really well as a quick release system. To drain the last part of the loop I just put a cloth around the d-plug and slowly remove it so the water trickles out and is absorbed the the cloth.

Before removing the piece of pipe it’s important that I’m able to clearly see how far it was going in so I can measure the new one up properly. I put some painters tape around the pipe to help me clearly see how far it was going into the fitting:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Same on the part going into the GPU – this end wasn’t leaking but I still need to see if it was measured up properly:

[​IMG]

Removed from the loop, you can already see the offending end (on the right) is too short:

[​IMG]

Here’s a closeup of the two ends, first is the GPU end which was fine – if you look closely you can see two sets of two tracks which the two o-rings fitting into the center of:

[​IMG]

Here’s the offending end, which had only 3 clearly defined tracks. Looks like the end was only just contacting the second o-ring:

[​IMG]

I put it back into the fitting to see how it looked internally:

[​IMG]

It was difficult to take shots of the inside of the fitting but these confirmed the pipe was a few mm too short to provide adequate cover. In these shots you shouldn’t see a gap (or much of one) between the end of the copper pipe and the fitting:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Fortunately I had plenty of 12.0mm offcuts from various pipe bending failures – I pulled out a few potential candidates and to figure out which one would be best to make the new link from. The piece with blue tape was the original:

[​IMG]

Selected and trimmed the candidate:

[​IMG]

There was no chance of preserving the finish so I sanded it back using 500/1000 grit:

[​IMG]

I think I must have connected the piece up about 1000 times checking and rechecking the size before progressing on to polishing the piece:

[​IMG]

Making the final length adjustment – I really like these two pics:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

This is how the pipe should look inside the fitting:

[​IMG]

Next was polishing the pipe up and giving it the protective coating, since I’ve covered that in detail a few times already I’ll just skip to the end result:

[​IMG]

While I had it all unplugged I made the SLI bridge cover – pretty simple, I printed a sticker with the logo and wrapped it round a piece of acrylic which I attached to the SLI bridge. Check it out:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

..and finally, the replaced piece. I decided I’d put it in the other way around just for good measure. I’m mostly happy with it, it’s ever so slightly shorter than I would have like but functionally is perfect and covers both the o-rings without leaks:

[​IMG]

I held out a few days before posting this update in the hope I’d have the final final pics but I’ve finally decided to give up and cart the bloody thing outside this weekend while its cloudy and hopefully take some shots that do it justice!

Instead of just leaving you without any final pics I’ll share, for the first time, the link to the full gallery of every single photo I’ve taken during the course of the build. There’s a LOT of content there – I’ve got 2,168 photos online including, I’m sure, a lot of stuff I decided not to post about.

The photo link is http://flickr.saate.net/

So have a read, have a good weekend, and if there’s anything in the picture archive or this update you’re interested in knowing more about let me know :)

12. NickMate

NickMate Member

[​IMG]

I THINK A HUGE ROUND OF APPLAUSE GOES TO SAATE!

This is an amazing and truly professionally built gaming pc and the best build log I have ever read. Even though I started half through the log, I've felt I have been reading since the start...which feels so long ago now. You progress not only only as pc builder but as an inventor and creative genius falls nothing short of spectacular and you should feel proud of the accomplishment achieved.:thumbup:

13. brayway

brayway Member

Awesome job over all, I love the build, and it's been a great read to follow :):leet::thumbup:

14. c_hegge

c_hegge Member

+1. This has been a thoroughly enjoyable build to watch as it progressed, and the finished product looks awesome.:thumbup:

15. Reaper_1994

Reaper_1994 Member

Love it man. I truly wish I had the commitment to create a build like this...

16. aeries

aeries Member

congrats men :thumbup:

no words formed by mortals can describe what you've done.

Sincerely,

lurker from the beginning - inVa :)

17. WishBone17

WishBone17 Member

yep, one of the most awesome builds on OCAU, absolutely loved the journey!

Now its time to strip it down and upgrade, 3 way gtx 780 and those new ivy bridge e cpus (new mobo as well LOL)

18. WuzzA21

WuzzA21 Member

Quality build, well thought out and clean. You should be proud!
    I just dont think it is visually pleasing for my taste. I hate the copper on nickel look.

Not saying it isn't the best build to date on ocau. Just saying it could look better with a solid colour scheme.
    Compair it to my build and his wins in all categories.

But the copper!!!

Last edited: Sep 7, 2013
  19. pieceofchance

pieceofchance Member

If only I could vote for Saate in the election today... not sure what your stance is on asylum seekers, but hey, there is no real difference in either of the major party puppets anyway.

This has been such an epic journey it is hard to even know what to say anymore. Truly inspirational. Phenomenal. Just outstanding. You have taken modding and WC build logs to an entirely new level with this one. Huzzah.

Definitely keen to get the book version of this...

20. OP
    OP
    Saate

Saate Member

Nick :) Thanks mate, that was lovely to read. Now onto bigger and better things!

Thanks guys :)

Don’t think I haven’t thought about it :p I just got another new toy though so will be laying low for at least a few months while I ride it and work on another project.

[​IMG]

Thanks inVa :)

Thanks Wuzz, and fair feedback – I’m happy with the look but I’m going to plan a lot more leading into future builds so that stuff like final colours will be decided (at least mostly) ahead of the first cuts. If you’ve haven’t already seen it then do a search for Alain’s Project White build – he used copper pipe in a TJ7 case and it looked amazing, people pleaded with him not to nickel plate but he decided to and it actually did look good.

I think in his case the sleeving and the whiteness of the TJ7 case really helped carry the nickel look to a slam dunk, I felt like in my case the nickel would blend in too much with everything else where I wanted it to be the standout element of the build. I’m happy that I achieved it I guess :)

Thanks mate :) Lets see where the book goes! If you were going to turn the worklog into say…50 pages how would you divide it up? Considering there’s been 64 updates not including final pics - and I don’t know how many pages of written text accompanying them – that makes it pretty damned hard to consolidate!