1. Win some Team Group goodies in OCAU's latest contest!
    Dismiss Notice

Worklog: Massively (Update #65, 29th Nov – Final Pics + Aussie copper pipe fittings!)

Discussion in 'Modding Worklogs' started by Saate, Mar 29, 2012.

1. WishBone17

WishBone17 Member

Oh jesus christ! nice man!. What does the wifey think of this?

2. OP
    OP
    Saate

Saate Member

When I was first thinking of buying it was a "we'll talk about it later" perspective, now she's intrigued and is booking in to do the course and get her license :)

3. mad_mic3

mad_mic3 Member

Looking the bees knees there Saate, cant wait to see what you come up with your next project, got the bike just in time for summer :cool:

4. BigDave

BigDave Member

Watch out for those nasty car drivers mate:D

5. MercyFlush

MercyFlush Member

Nice bike you got yourself there :thumbup:

I ride a DRZ400E with CBR wheels (Motard) and thus far buying that bike for riding to uni and round town commutes has been the best decision I've made in a long time. One thing to remember is ATGATT (All The Gear All The Time), don't be a squid and keep yourself safe :cool::thumbup:

p.s. props on the build, it's looking mint

6. sahara_mafia

sahara_mafia Member

awesome log i was paging what i have missed
    i haven't had time to do my project yet

7. OP
    OP
    Saate

Saate Member

Thanks fellas! Unfortunately it only took 850km on the beautiful new bike before a car driver cut into my lane on a turn (he thought the right-turning lane could turn into my lane) and clipped me last night. Here's a google maps satellite view of the intersection - link

The impact sent me head first into the ground and snapped the belt I was wearing and looks like the bike will probably be a writeoff, not that much damage but the tow truck driver said on a 5k bike it doesnt need to be lots before they'll do it.

Following the ATGATT rule I was fully geared up so fortunately am fairly undamaged - a few cuts here and there, sore knees and the worse of it are extremely bruised hands from impact with the ground. Nothing broken and I walked away which I should be thankful for. Fully insured so I guess I'll go through the process and see what happens.

Feeling a bit miserable, but shit happens eh? :)

Thanks mate :)

8. Moptimus

Moptimus Member

All that effort with your build, then you go and do something dangerously stupid and go outside? Stay in like everyone else on OCAU and there will be no cars running into you.

It is not like you have to go looking for a partner either, you have the disapproving wife to keep you company, so cut out the high risk activities like leaving the house and walking, and your life will be safe and sweet.

9. Gidanski

Gidanski Member

Good to hear your ok. I recently had a car pull out in front of me in a 90 Zone. Broke a wrist but apart from that I am fine. Seems people like to drive with their heads firmly shoved in their rectums when it comes to looking out for Motorcyclists.

10. BigDave

BigDave Member

Glad you're OK, well a little battered and bruised but still mobile :cool: I do know how you feel tough my prang left me in hospital for a couple of months way back in 1983. Get Well Soon mate :thumbup:

11. Huggy_Bear64

Huggy_Bear64 Member

12. NickMate

NickMate Member

Lucky you weren't hurt and really lucky it didnt happen while going 100km/h. The only good luck ill give is going through it all with insurance. They are the worst people to deal with and even though you'll get your money for a new bike, wait a few months :shock::rolleyes:

Hope you're feeling better and staying at home playing on your new rig.:p

13. MercyFlush

MercyFlush Member

Geez, glad to hear you came out fine. Just a few days ago I had my first big run in with a cager, but I got out of it with only a small scratch on my DRZ (I swear this thing is made by nokia). Good to see that it hasn't put you off bikes, at this point in time the sooner you get back on and start riding again the better. Last thing you want is for the nerves to build up and then end up being quite afraid about it all (I've talked to people who have waited and they regret it immensely). I hope it all gets sorted for you in the coming months, and as they say there are two types of riders. Those who have gone down, and those who are going down. Welcome to the club :leet:

EDIT: Oh and btw, if for some reason you feel a bit humiliated (for whatever reason) don't. Everyones had their run ins and mishaps :)

Last edited: Oct 13, 2013
  14. BigDave

BigDave Member

F*^k think I hexed you :upset:

15. Huggy_Bear64

Huggy_Bear64 Member

I found that riding super aggressively meant that I never really had issues with car drivers cagers.
    Although being super paranoid may also have helped... :Paranoid:

16. BlueRaven

BlueRaven Member

Sorry to hear about your mishap run-in with an idiot mate.

On the upside... lots of downtime in front of the PC while recovering? :D

Check out Widescreen Fixer and Flawless Widescreen for your multi-monitor woes... much easier than hacking .ini files and the like.
    Doesn't work with everything, but for games that have had enough development it's pretty much as good as having native ultrawide support.
    (Although if you're anything like me, you'll still find yourself gravitating towards games that don't require any outside intervention... there's a lot to be said for "it just works" ;)).

This has been an epic build and the results speak for themselves. As one of your first posts on OCAU it's something you can most definitely be proud of.
    It's also been great to see a first-time modder with some big ideas actually carry them through to near-perfect execution (yeah, feeling a bit guilty over here... all my logs remain incomplete :Paranoid:).
    Thanks for the ride, looking forward to the next one. :thumbup:

Last edited: Oct 13, 2013
  17. OP
    OP
    Saate

Saate Member

Hahah yeah, well you know how these bad boy activities are part of a downward spiral - one minute I'm working out how to build a computer and the next I'm outside, with air and sun and...people.

Damn, broken wrist after a spill at 90 must be pretty scary! Lucky mine happened at something like half that speed, I'm eager to get back on a bike as soon as I can but I'll take this event with me always. Can't imagine the paranoia from something like your accident!

...and damn mate, doubly so for your accident!

Thanks Dave! and damn, it's a good thing I've made up my mind to get back on the bike as soon as I can otherwise these battle stories would just about be the end of it for me :p

Thanks mate, and yeah been trying to get through some games lately and really enjoying the beast.

Thanks mate! I was pretty dazed and confused at the time but not embarrassed, the more I replay it in my head and look at the google maps of the intersection the more I'm sure he was either cutting the corner at the very least or (more likely) cutting into my lane. For me to have moved into his path would have meant crossing a whole additional lane and I know I wasnt that far out!

Thanks heaps mate :) and yes, you got me in one! I've actually already got Widescreen Fixer running but my preference is indeed toward games with native support for big resolutions. A lot support the 7680x1440 res but leave you with ridiculously huge splits in the user interface and no easy way to fix it. Its nice to be able to load up a game fresh and play with everything where it should be first time.

What I'm hanging out for is some kind of new open world post apocalyptic game to come out - something like Fallout 4 would nail the brief!

18. BlueRaven

BlueRaven Member

It would... except that Bethesda games seem to generally be pretty shit at HUD/Menu scaling in ultrawide. :tongue:
    One of the main reasons I investigated Fixer/Flawless was to try and get FO3 playing nice. Here's hoping they improve things in FO4.

19. Huggy_Bear64

Huggy_Bear64 Member

Yeah my first off (where all I broke was a brake lever) meant I was terrified of corners for weeks :Paranoid:

I haven't been back on a bike since my big stack (sold bike for financial reasons), but I reckon I'd deal with it a bit better.
    Of course watching this over and over didn't help:

Last edited: Oct 14, 2013
  20. MercyFlush

MercyFlush Member

You know as weird as it sounds I think watching things like that actually makes me be more aware and safer on the road. Not to say I like what happens in those vids but they IMO give me insight into what can happen if I'm going too fast/doing something risky. I'd rather watch someone else learn the hard way than have to myself.

Plus fwiw I hope you guys watch moto vloggers on youtube as they can really make you want to get back out there. My fav to watch is RoyalJordanian who is in Britten and does great compilations.