Worklog: Massively (Update #65, 29th Nov – Final Pics + Aussie copper pipe fittings!)

Discussion in 'Modding Worklogs' started by Saate, Mar 29, 2012.

1. Madengineer

Madengineer Member

That is a great looking build!

2. OP
    OP
    Saate

Saate Member

I had difficulty finding black rivets initially, ended up getting some from a local place so I had SOMETHING to test with. They scratch pretty easily so you have to be careful if you want the result to present well.

I ended up ordering 60 black rivets (3.2 x 10mm black flange) from eBay for about $9, the site/user was Spalding Fasteners and I received them in about a week which was pretty good. Will still definitely place an MDPC order for rivets next time I need something else but lets just say that won't be for a while:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Totally understand! I think I admitted to myself straight away that I might lose focus or interest in the build before it was finished and that it could take a LONG time. That's kinda why I've done the build in a weird way - buying PSU/Case/etc before components because I didnt want shiny CPU/GPU sitting there getting dust and growing out of date every day!

Thanks for the encouragement too mate :)

3. [RMS] ST1NG3R

[RMS] ST1NG3R Member

so many purdy colours! :shock:

4. brayway

brayway Member

:eek: Enough sleeving!
    How much did that all set you back?

5. Creekin

Creekin (Taking a Break)

for sale thread in

:Pirate:

6. brayway

brayway Member

Double Post In

edit:
    Delete it then :p

7. Creekin

Creekin (Taking a Break)

ninjai edit :Pirate:
    was weird, rare to get a dp :weirdo:

but srsly op everytime i have seen someone buy that much sleeve the next thing they usually do is sell that lot after giving up! :lol:

bitfenix alchemy cables FTW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :thumbup:

8. OP
    OP
    Saate

Saate Member

Heh yes lots of sleeving eh? I started with just the ATX pin remover and a small order to see if I even enjoyed sleeving. Once I sleeved a few cheap connectors and realised I did I graduated on to a few more orders for the other colours + crimper + P clips and stuff.

At the time I knew I was getting a lot but I didnt like the idea that if I suddenly wanted a specific colour I'd have to order it and wait ages. Turns out that since the shop is now on extremely limited hours I made the right call!!

I can't login to the site to see the other orders for you but fortunately I do have a screenshot of the big order:

[​IMG]

...that's right! and all this vintage rare sleeving can be yours for naming rights to your firstborn! :p but yeah, I guess I'm safely 'set up' for life in terms of sleeving :)

9. Creekin

Creekin (Taking a Break)

well played sir
    i do the same thing, always but extra for the next project :thumbup:

10. OP
    OP
    Saate

Saate Member

Some shots of the extensions I've created that show off a few colour combinations I like. I got a bunch of 8-pin connectors from gammods and crimped the wires myself too.

Probably my favourite colours are Colour-X and Grand Bleu, which strangely I haven't made any extensions with yet! Saving them for something special :)

[​IMG]

Yellow and Grey, combination looks amazing but can't imagine doing a system myself based on these colours :)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

A friend, Brett, plans on doing an orange/black sleeved build in future so I made this one to see what it'd look like. Surprisingly nice!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Blue, Grey and White

[​IMG]

Bit of an Aussie themed one :p

[​IMG]

11. panman9

panman9 Member

:eek: that orange and black combo looks the goods! nice work op on the sleeving and everything else, loving the attention to detail, always makes for nice mods/builds :thumbup:

12. The_Pinkus

The_Pinkus New Member

The sleeving looks nice I think you have done a great job.
    Liking the build so far. :thumbup:

I'm thinking of sleeving my psu cables as well at some point, any tips?

13. Creekin

Creekin (Taking a Break)

as i was saying... :Pirate:
    http://forums.overclockers.com.au/showthread.php?t=1026260

:eek: :lol:

14. OP
    OP
    Saate

Saate Member

Thanks :) really enjoying having the worklog up to be able to share and chat with people! Wasn't really sure about starting it in the first place but glad I did!

Cheers :) and yeah, heaps of tips especially because I've just had to learn from scratch - I was so green at the start of this build that when my AX1200 arrived I seriously thought all the ATX 8-pin connectors were going to be like molex pins!

As far as sleeving I'd recommend a 100% modular psu so you don't have to crack open the PSU casing, scary to have to worry about screwing your PSU and warranty!

I'll write up a full guide at some stage with pics and stuff but for right now I'd recommend a tiny sleeving purchase with heatshrink, can be any brand, and a depinning tool. Get a few $2 24-pin ATX extensions off eBay and use them to practice. You'll know really fast if you're going to have the patience to spend hours at it or not :)

15. OP
    OP
    Saate

Saate Member

16. The_Pinkus

The_Pinkus New Member

[/QUOTE]
    Cheers :) and yeah, heaps of tips especially because I've just had to learn from scratch - I was so green at the start of this build that when my AX1200 arrived I seriously thought all the ATX 8-pin connectors were going to be like molex pins!

As far as sleeving I'd recommend a 100% modular psu so you don't have to crack open the PSU casing, scary to have to worry about screwing your PSU and warranty!

I'll write up a full guide at some stage with pics and stuff but for right now I'd recommend a tiny sleeving purchase with heatshrink, can be any brand, and a depinning tool. Get a few $2 24-pin ATX extensions off eBay and use them to practice. You'll know really fast if you're going to have the patience to spend hours at it or not :)[/QUOTE]

Thanks for the tips, I might get an ATX extension like you say from ebay and practice before I do it. I'm lucky I've already got a fully modular psu so yay!
    Thanks for the tips and loving the build/mods

17. OP
    OP
    Saate

Saate Member

Have a 2000 word paper due tonight so will be finishing that up before I can get on to more modding and update writing. Some very exciting developments though - I've secured the 12mm OD copper pipe I need for the build! Pretty great story behind it too so I'll get writing once this paper is in :)

I've still got my dodgy practice extension floating around somewhere. I remember I didnt know how to de-pin the female end of it (that sounds suss!) and actually cut the extension in half so I could practice. I'll dig it up and take pics when I write up the guide.

18. The_Pinkus

The_Pinkus New Member

Thanks mate:D:thumbup:

19. BlueRaven

BlueRaven Member

Good news!

Now get bent.

(Obvious but necessary :p).

20. h2oxide

h2oxide Member